Page 140 of 424 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142150190240 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 4239

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 140

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    The food bank will be coming up for us, soon. I am just waiting until we have had one month of 'no income'. Which will be next Monday, I guess.

Funny how there are different connotations to 'asking' for food and 'taking food out of the trash'. Different sets of humiliation, I guess. But what should be humiliating about surviving, in any facet? Is the hyena humiliated, face-down in the rhino? He is NOT!

There are fuel assistance programs, but it is anguishing to me to even think about asking for actual CASH. As long as we can pay for our mortgage and utilities out of unemployment, I won't want to ask for utility help. I guess we all have different sticking points.

We have a Fiesta close by that I shop at regularly, and a smaller Kroger that I will be checking out soon. I'm sort of creeping up on the situation. Some people like to grab onto a new situation and throw themselves into it. I like to take it a little at a time.

Well, yesterday I wrote a follow-up letter to one of our creditors. They have set up a partial payment plan, but still want a huge chunk of money SOON. I don't know what will come of it, but I felt good just getting the letter written and mailed off. More small steps.

Sold some more books today, and was able to get the new book that Middlest needed for English, and have $6 extra for the food jar.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Sabine-
    I know it. A Pride gland larger than the state makes it difficult to ask for help, especially help you don't feel like you've "earned" by being poor enough. I believe you were the one that told me to swallow my pride and take the unemployment. Now I'm returning the favor and telling you to swallow your pride and go to a food bank. I believe Casa de Amigos and the one in downtown Dallas (I forget the name, but it's the big central one, maybe Dallas Food Bank?) don't ask questions or give pity. They give you what you need and send you on your way. Do some research. See which ones will let you keep your pride and which one require proof, grovelling, religion, or give pity. It sucks ass to be in that position, but being able to do it without fielding paperwork and cross examination helps.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    We have a restaurant up here that gets donated food from local groceries. They use the donated food (usually stuff that is a day or so away from being past it's prime) to make a daily meal for the homeless, but anyone is welcome to stop in for a free lunch. It's run by a local church organization. Maybe you could inquire about something like that in your area?

Does your husband know of your scavenging? Just curious what he thinks of it. I know mine would be fit to be tied if he ever found out I was doing something like that. Too much pride, I suppose.

In addition, since you have kids in school, you might consider applying for WIC for staples like milk, fresh fruits, etc. It's always an option.

I was hoping to see info on job leads, but I suppose interviews don't happen every day. I hope things get better soon. I am very impressed with your ability to put on a brave front. You're amazing.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Another suggestion, maybe... have you thought about donating plasma? You can do it like 3x per week and I think it pays up to $25 a donation for $75 a week. Just a thought if you're not weak around needles.

Wow, I have done that before...but for free. You mean they'll pay you?!?

They do here... they take your blood, siphon out the plasma and then give you your blood back. it's a big thing up here. You may have donated platelets or whole blood - that still isn't paid for. Plasma is the watery substance of the blood - very useful for burn victims and with as many wild fires as your area has every year, I would think plasma would be a necessary thing down there.

The right amount of nuts

Jenn, thanks for the idea! I called up a center in our area and got the particulars. I'm going to try it next week. I'll let you know how it goes. For someone in my weight range, it will be $50 for the first two times, then after that, I can donate twice per week. The first time is $20, the second time in each week, is $40. That's grocery money, right there! And I can just sit and read for a couple of hours. Score! I hope it works out. It would be a bummer (in more ways than one!) to find out I have an exotic blood disease.

Yesterday I stopped at the park on my way back from errands, and gathered 107 pecans in 45 minutes. I'm going to keep track of how long it takes me to shell them. When I think how easy it is to rip open a bag from the store, I am not surprised we over eat nuts ALL THE TIME. If we had to put in a couple of hours of work each time we had nuts, it might be different.

It was a good primal activity. Plenty of slow walking, and scanning the environment.

We had the bottom of the soup last night for dinner. It was okay, but not anything to look forward to. Too many veges, and not enough MEAT! The dogs had big meaty bones for their dinners, and I found myself looking longingly.

I am defrosting a mystery package from the freezer. I hope it is something good, because there is a lot of it!

My Honey was very down yesterday, and in a place where he didn't even want to be cheered up. Just wanted to be angry. I understand, but it is hard.

I STILL miss sashimi. It is turning into my favorite fantasy meal. When we have funds again, I'm going to treat myself to a big pig-out! I should go to a restaurant where they don't know me, 'cause I'm just going to sit and eat and eat and EAT! All the sashimi I can handle. Beautiful pink slices of salmon. Tuna, every kind. Slivers of red snapper, rolls of mackeral and eel. Gleaming piles of roe. Tendrils of octopus, and little squid rings. For HOURS! I'll be banned from their doors.

Ahhhh. A nice dream.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    You are making me hungry for sashimi...and sushi...which I cannot have...no places here. Not for hours and hours. Sigh. If I ever get to one, I will eat them completely out of stock.

You have pecans lying around waiting to be picked up? Pecans are bloody expensive! Eat them, eat them! Too bad you can't sell them.

Here we are going into the weekend. I hope you can chillax and put things out of your mind for a bit. Next week is a new week!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

There is one thing about Dallas: the people here LOVE to eat out! There are more restaurants of every persuasion here than you can shake a stick at. I have two sushi buffets within a ten minute drive (one of which I could even WALK to, if I had to have a fix and had no gas money), and three more with half an hour. And those are just the ones I know about. Not to mention the a la carte sushi restaurants.

The only thing lacking is fish money.

But this will pass.

And, this is Texas, baby! Pecan trees are practically weeds! Sbhikes has avocados, we have pecans. I am planning on enjoying every morsel, once I get them out of their shelves (okay, I WILL share with my family). And going back several times over the next couple of weeks while this manna is dropping from the heavens.

Trying to set up some games for Sunday. That will help in the chillax department. And there may be a Lord of the Rings marathon in my near future.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lord of the Rings marathon with pecans!

I grew up in southern California - we had lemons, limes, avocados, bay laurel. I miss those. I don't miss the 30 million other people though.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold