Page 131 of 418 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,310 of 4176

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 131

Sabine is offline Senior Member

A strange treatise on housecleaning.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My two favorites for the past few years: Shaker Lemon pie(made with sliced lemons, grated lemon peel, sugar and eggs) and Rhubard Custard. Mmmm. How long until Thanksgiving?

Anyone remember that saying, 'Housework, if done properly, can kill you?'

I considered taking care of my children when they were small, a full-time job. And I was working fourteen hours a day, and on call the other ten. So I feel I earned quite a bit of comp-time. Any housework that got done was just a bonus. Now that they are older, my standards have gotten a little better, but really, I think housecleaning is over-rated.

I like things clean, but not sterile. And I don't want to spend a lot of time getting things clean. Nor do I mind some cobwebs in the corners, even if they have a few bug carcasses in them. We no longer live in homes heated by fire, so smoke and ash do not accumulate on things. I sweep, vacuum occasionally, wash the dishes, and wipe things up. My biggest challenge is clutter, but that's just tidying, not cleaning. I do NOT wash my walls until I notice there are grey smudges around the light switches. Then I go around and hit them all. This happened every few years. I only clean my ceiling fans when I notice that they are grimy. As you can only notice that when they are stationary, and I live in Texas, this happens about once a year. I clean my oven once a year- right before Thanksgiving, to get ready for the pies. I dust about twice a year. Yes, twice a year. There's not much in our house that stays undisturbed long enough to get dusty, and the things that do, well, they are perfectly happy with some dust on them.

I know some people like to have their houses very clean. And that sure looks nice. I am just not willing to spend the time to do it.

Don't know why this came spilling out.

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    I am so with you on the housecleaning. My oldest grandson was sitting on the Himalayan's ottoman the other day in his black jeans. We all burst out laughing when he stood up. And I do vacuum. Dusting and washing walls, however, are only done on a very "need basis."

Organizing and tidying -- now those two I like -- as well as moving furniture periodically!

Pies, hmmm? I'm not going there. Hmm! I was the pie and salad maker. Pies. Pies must be homemade. My favorites: All of them. Pecan sounding good right now. No. I am not going there. Period. Did I say that? I am ignoring this discussion. I really am.

PIES!

You know you wanted it.

I'm glad dachshund hair doesn't stick to you the way cat hair does!

Overslept this morning due to not sleeping well last night. Woke up about 3:30, and started worrying. Nix on that, so I turned on the light and started reading. Fell asleep at 5:30, then started hitting my snooze button when the alarm went off fifteen minutes later.

So, no cold bath.

This morning I am shampooing my hall carpet. (Maybe my rant yesterday was because I knew this was coming.) I have an old shampoo machine that a friend gave me that works fairly well, but it is a definite PROCESS! Vacuum, scrub, let sit, do it again, switch out the tanks, let dry a little and see if you got it all. Give it another pass. Wiggle the machine in arcs, to really get the good scrubbing action. Wonder about the chemicals you are pumping into your home. Think grumpy thoughts about dogs who don't like to go out when it is raining. Do one more pass. And another, just to be thorough. After all, if you are going through all this, you want it to look GOOD!

Rats! I was going to do some substitute work tomorrow, and it just got cancelled.

The dogs are starting to snuggle a little more when they are lounging on the couch. I think they are slowly forming into a new three-pack, instead of a twin-pack.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    You do realize there's a way to make primal-ish mini pies, right? As in just enough in one ramekin for one serving? I've nailed down the primal apple pie and berry pumpkin cheescake and I'm worknig on the primal pumpkin pie.
    Er...
    No, I'm not enabling you....
    We have more books than bookcase right now. There's the programming bookcase, his nonfiction bookcase, my nonfiction bookcase, the two shared fiction bookcases, the cookbook bookcase, and the piles on the floor. I try every once in a while to pare them down and get rid of maybe 2-3 books each time, (usually duplicates or things I never want to see again.) Paring down beyond that is like choosing between children to give up for adoption. It ain't gonna happen.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Hi, Naiadknight!

Yes, that's my plan for Thanksgiving: regular pies for the crowd, little (mostly) primal pies for ME! I cannot make pies(even primal pies) as a regular thing, though. I know myself that much. It would be pie all the time. Pie, pie, pie! I had a few years like that, before I came to my senses. I'm talking pie three or four times a week, every week. And SO good for me, because they were homemade, out of fresh fruit, and used that baking soda trick to reduce the sugar. Who was I kidding?!? Finally realized I had a pie problem and had to STOP.

Feel free to enable with any good recipes, though! Berry pumpkin cheesecake sounds fantastic!

Books. We've always had more books than bookcases. I figured that was just normal. Apparently, there's a large segment of the population that doesn't agree. Philistines!

Sonuvabeech! Looks like Son of Grok went offline. Luckily I have print off of that a home. I took that and just added pumpkin and pumpkin pie spices to it. I think he had the original to the banana flan my pecan pie was based on. This is gonna get interesting really quick...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I absolutely cannot start making primal pies. No way no how. I could, however, come over to your house and partake on a special occasion. So I'll be over, say 2 PM on Thanksgiving? I'm good company, cheerful, pleasant, and always ready with an amusing anecdote.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Hey, Sabine, I'll be in DFW around Thanksgiving! (Sorry, just actually looked at the location.) I've got kin there I visit. We could do a meet up, if you can spare the time!
    My Primal Battle Tome

Siobhan, Naiadknight, you are both very welcome! (Midland is a drive enough, I would be very impressed if Siobhan came trekking from Maine!) PM me closer to the day, if you're going to be in town, and we can get together.

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, so I go all out. The biggest turkey we can find, and every kind of side dish. And then of course, PIE! And our pie party the day after. Sadly, we don't get company very often, as our relatives are all out in California, though we usually rope in a friend or two. Cheerful and amusing guests always sought after!