9:00 1 egg scrambled in
    butter
    1/2 rotisseriec chicken breast
    1C spinach, red bells, mushrooms

1:30 1 bratwurst
    1 medium liquid fat bomb

8:00 10 slices salami
    10 grapes

More puzzling food interactions. I wasn't that hungry in the morning, but I had a lot to do, and I wanted to keep to a three meals schedule, so I ate a moderate breakfast, then set out on my errands.

Same thing for lunch. I knew I was about to be busy with my friends, didn't want to look up and find it was four o'clock, and too late for lunch, too early for dinner. So I chose something easy that I thought would carry me to about six o'clock.

Well, six came and went. I wasn't hungry, and forgot about eating, I was having too much fun. I noticed at seven thiry. Then there was a little stress: thought I wasn't going to make it in time to do something I needed to, and I ended up eating for calming effects, but not because I was hungry.

I think if I can break away from my 'mental' need to eat, I might be eating quite a bit less now and then.

I had a good time with my friends, and got a surprising amount done, too. I am more than 3/4 of the way through the block sewing and trimming for my latest quilt. I should be able to start sewing the blocks together on Friday. Yay! I am looking forward to having this quilt on my bed before fall. I have too many projects that lost steam, and are sitting in boxes, so it feels great to be zipping along on this one.

Completion satisfaction, very primal.

Sabine is offline Senior Member

Measurements

Remembered to weigh and measure myself today, and I'm pleased with the progress. Down 3 pounds and 2 1/2 inches from March 1st, and my waist/hip ratio is now under .9!

Here are the stats:

Date..........3/1/12..........3/15/12
    Weight.......194.5...........191.5
    Underarms...40.5.............40
    Ribcage......36...............35.75
    Waist.........39.75..........39
    Hips...........44..............43
    Thighs l-r....25-25.25.....25-25

My U of E t-shirt is not as snug, so I think I am using up some of my back fat. Excellent.

I find it interesting that although so many of us have goal weights, there is not much talk about goal measurements. I don't even have a clue as to what would be in the range of 'normal' in terms of waist and hip measurements for my height and bone structure. Are there tables for that, the way there are for weight?

I do remember that in junior high my waist measurement was 28". I had to make a skirt in home ec, and I remember feeling very embarrassed at having to reveal my measurements. I felt that 28" was huge, although I cannot remember anyone else's measurements. Who knows, I might have been right in line. Certainly 28" feels like a fantasy from where I am now. It just looks so small.

I have a vague sense that my hips might be able to get down to 39". A .8 ratio, would have my waist at 31". (.7 just seems crazy to me, even though it is 'supposed' to be ideal for women. Who decides these things?) But my thighs? What size are thighs supposed to be, anyhow? (And why do I put quotes around supposed when it is someone else supposing, but not when I am? Point of view privilege, I suppose. Aarrgh!) And my ribs? Aside from the back fat, there's not much to use up there. I mean, ribs are bones. They won't be shrinking. I hope.

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    I specifically remember my measurements when I met Dh. I weighed 160 (had just starved down to that) and 34, 24, 36, which is a .67 (and I would kill to be there again-I was 31-so not a high school dream size) currently I am about a .78, but I think I could pretty easily get to the .7 and still be way obese (I currently weigh 252ish). So I am not sure what that ratio actually means, I know that the number was arrived at by using observational studies (I think that nurses study), so I would take it with a grain of salt.

Interesting idea about tables for measurement goals. I still have my wedding dress as well as the dress I wore when we announced our engagement, so when I get back into those I will be thrilled.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Measurements are so subjective! I mean, it's one or two or maybe 10 people's opinions of how a woman's body should look. Sure, they say that having a high waist to hip ratio causes heart disease, but "they" said the same about fat...

I say go til you feel comfortable with your body. Don't rely on arbitrary figures published by some CW doctor somewhere.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    OHHH, can't wait to do the ratio thing for my next measurements.

Chris, I think that my measurements at 165 were similar.

A size 10, which is my goal and the size I was at 165 has general measurements of 36,28,40 as per wikipedia and other sites.
    Sounds good to me.

Sweetbreads are yummy!

My brave experiment went well.

I took the poached sweetbreads, sliced them about 1/2" thick, and sauteed them with butter and mushrooms until golden brown. Added a little potato starch and cream to the drippings to make a coating, and tentatively placed a morsel in my mouth. I had no idea what flavor or texture I would be experiencing.

It was good.

Very rich, a little bouncy and bacony. Success. I am going to make another little sample for my honey and child to try tonight, alongside our pork roast.

I tried this because I want to be eating more of the whole animal. I have been very American-standard in my meat cut selection. Bring on the offal and tendons! But I chose sweetbreads in particular for a strange reason.

You know the warrior lore that eating your enemy's heart and/or liver gives you their courage? My father died of pancreatic cancer, and I have this weird idea that eating pancreas will make mine healthy. (I told you it was weird.) At the very least, if I think it, it is probably so.

Along that topic, it has been more than two weeks since I had any of the symptoms that have my imagination convinced I am about to die. Yay for feeling good! I am sure my stress levels are down because of it.

Oh!

I have stars! How exciting!

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I was wondering about the stars... what do they mean???
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

demuralist is offline Senior Member
    congrats on feeling good, and on the stars.
    Chris
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It is about learning to dance in the rain."
    Unknown

My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread36279.html

My "Program": doing my version of a 5:2 (a 4:3) fast diet with real food.

ecks is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    If you're ever looking for a good alternative to potato starch for a coating I've done crushed up pork rinds before. It's been a couple months since I've done it but I loved it! (Make a great "Fried chicken" batter)... And now I want some... darn it.

Seriously though. Pork rinds are just the skin of pigs that's been fried in lard. Nothing else to them. You can find them in the grocery store with chips but they are probably the only paleo option in that aisle
    SW (Nov 22nd 2011): 333, 2 Years: 245lbs
    Current Weight as of December 4th, 2013: 239
    Short Term Goal: Happy brain, figure out direction in life.
    Met Goal: Be a 2x Shirt, Fit in a standard airplane seat belt without the use of a seat belt extension, Better sleep, Be a 1x Shirt
    Long Term Goal: 166lbs (One day!), Buy whatever cloths I want to wear.
    Pain is temporary, quitting is forever- Lance Armstrong #NoExcuses