Page 114 of 437 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124164214 ... LastLast
Results 1,131 to 1,140 of 4363

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 114

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Sabine, I can't even begin to understand how stressful your situation must be. I think what your DH's company is doing to him is just flat our wrong on so many levels. How heartless is it to make the person you're letting go train his replacement??? Seriously! Says a lot the morality of the people he worked for, so maybe it's best he move on. I sincerely hope he finds a job soon. I understand what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck and cannot fathom what it would be like if one of our incomes was gone all of a sudden. I'll keep your family in my thoughts. Hugs to you.

*and thanks so much for your support with my issues while dealing with your own.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Judg and Jenn, thanks for your kind words. Just being able to talk (write) about it helps, and to have people be supportive makes it even better. Thank you.

Tried a cold bath today. It was...very refreshing! And that was at 82 degrees. I can't imagine what 65 degrees would feel like.

A good interview for my Honey today, but he is purposely trying not to be hopeful. Just neutral. What does it say about the human spirit that we are so ready to be hopeful? Something good, I am sure.

Had bad food items today, but also some cauliflower, watermelon, avocado and blueberries, so I feel I am getting a good shot of vitamins.

Oh, yes, the pepper pot soup. It was fine, but really, I couldn't even tell what the tripe tasted like. It just became one with the other ingredients. Might need to try something else before I know if I like tripe. My Honey scarfed it down. The girls ate the regulation bowl and that was it. So...okay, but not good enough to make again.

Sorry the soup didn't turn out like you had hoped. Such a bummer with so much stress going on. On a brighter note, the Cowboys just beat the 2012 Super Bowl Champs.

*This chick's a Cowboys fan to the core*

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    Ever since 2002 we have been pretty much living paycheck to paycheck after my Honey had a two-year period of unemployment, and we went through most of our savings. I had two miscarriages and a cancer scare right around then, as well, and I am sure it affected how I dealt with handling stress. Honey has had jobs since, but always on contract, and even when the amount went up, it seemed so did our living expenses, as we began hitting the years with teenagers and then college-goers. And then when the economy went south a couple of years ago, so did his pay rate. We've never been able to build our cushion back up.

And now he's being let go from a position that he's done great at, but the company is outsourcing to cheaper employees. He's spent the last six months training his replacement and replacements for others in the department who bailed as fast as they could when they saw what was happening. He shows up and is conscientious, won't even take recruiter calls 'on company time', and they are screwing him to the wall. It kills me to see how it hurts him.

(And as a side note, the poor workers they have outsourced to! They are on a low salary, and are on call 24 hours a day. No comp time for when they are up until 3am working an issue, and they better be there at 8 the next morning, or there will be hell to pay. I know it is better than what they can make in their country, but it is a painful thing to see. What kind of an example of America is this? It is so exploitive(sp?), it makes me ashamed.)

Although we will not be out on our butts in a month, I can see that any unemployment longer than a month will have me doing things like selling everything at a garage sale, asking relatives for money, telling our kids 'No, no, no.' I am not good at 'no'.

We moved a lot when I was a kid, always renting, and owning our home is VERY IMPORTANT to me. I am worrying about making the mortgage, having to think for the first time, 'how long does it take before they do foreclosure?' I hate it, I hate it!

I feel very shaky this morning. Just scared. I know it will pass, but it sure is freaking me out right now. Trying to distract myself with chores (and now, internet) but I am finding it very hard to focus. It is good to vent.
    I feel your pain. My world turned upside down in 2002. Since that time I have been in financial turmoil-- Something I've dealt with my whole life as I began working( picking berries & beans) to buy my own clothes at age 8.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    The current state of the working world is very sucky, IMHO. ("Sucky" is actually a highly technical term.) As someone who had to retrain and find a new career in my 40's, I can relate. Such stress and such regret. If only we still lived in a working world where we could be rewarded for our hard work and loyalty! I am sending prayers and good thoughts your way.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Sorry for all the stress.

My husband got his RN at age 50. He is an excellent nurse, but I wonder if employers look at his age and turn away. Nurse jobs are plentiful, but he has not gotten calls on his application. He is getting down on himself. I know because he isn't interested in sex. He is also getting a little snippy with me. He says things like, "I know you don't think I do anything around here." He pretends to be joking, but...

Hang in there.
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Marcadav, Siobhan, Pebbles- thanks for your kind words. Is it better or worse that so many people are going through the same thing? Sympathy to be had, but I hate thinking of others feeling this way too.

Man, sometimes life is just HARD!

My Honey referred to himself as 'an unemployed bum' for the first time this morning. In a joking way, but he was kidding on the square. And this is while he is still working. He is already seeing himself as unemployed, just because he knows it is coming. I feel so bad for him.

When things go badly, I see it as my job to be the cheerleader. It is tiring, too, though, in its own way. I hope I am up to doing it up right. I remember after his last joblessness period (7 months) I felt exhausted mentally and spiritually.

I hear you about the age thing, too. He is 53. Yesterday he told me he saw a picture that some friends had taken while they were doing archery, and he said, 'who's that silver-haired guy'. It was him. He hadn't realized his hair had changed so much, and it gave him a shock. Coupled with a super-young recruiter last week, and I think he is starting to feel OLD. Which is so different from EXPERIENCED in his mind.

Made some almond meal-banana muffins this morning using a different recipe, and they flopped. Must find my original recipe.

Six things I am grateful for right now:

Two dachshunds that love to cuddle up with me.
    Two daughters who will wrestle a dachshund into submission and feed her liverwurst to distract her so I can do some nail-clipping.
    Indoor plumbing. I can get clean water anytime I want, as much as I want.
    Having an emergency glow-in-the-dark condom in our bedroom to joke about with my Honey.
    Being able to pick up things from the floor with my toes.
    My son wanting to bring his girlfriend home for a visit at Christmas.

Great things to be thankful for. Indoor plumbing was rather random, but valid nonetheless.

skink531 is offline Senior Member
    Just read the issue you and your husband are dealing with. Wow, that company must be run by a bunch of giant douchebags. I feel your pain and can relate to your stress. What I've learned through all my ordeal is that as long as my family is all together then nothing else really matters that much. You all have each other and will get each other through it. I will say this, the way your husband is handling it speaks volumes about his character(I don't think I could stay and train the guy that was there to replace me). People like that always get picked up, so I wouldn't worry too much.
    My blog: My Primal Adventure

"I've come here to chew bubble gum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubble gum."

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, Skink, I hope so. He just got turned down ten minutes ago by the people he interviewed with yesterday, though, so I'm feeling glum. Which is nothing to how he is feeling. I think it is extra hard when he feels the interview went well, and still they say 'no'. At least he is telling me about it when it happens, and not brooding on it by himself all day. But he's got to work extra today to make up for the time he took off yesterday to go interview, so he's got a long afternoon of glumness ahead. Hope he can shake it off a little. With what you went through, I'm sure you know exactly how he feels.

Here's to bouncing back!