Page 106 of 415 FirstFirst ... 65696104105106107108116156206 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,060 of 4148

Thread: Show, then aid - Sabine page 106

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    How did your sauerkraut turn out??
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Sabine is offline Senior Member

The sauerkraut is good.

Deliciously tangy.

Other things, not so good. I am having problems. Loads of stress and I have succumbed to eating crap. Not sleeping well. Worried, worried, worried.

So much for 123 days of a diet. What was I thinking?

Well, I guess I am starting over.

Again.

How is it that some people have epiphanies, and poof, that's it? They change, and never look back. And others of us, we learn, and fail. Over and over.

And sometimes, just from minute to minute. Everything seems to be going well, and suddenly, half an hour later, and I am shovelling brownies into my face.

Also, I may be entering menopause. My period is late- very unusual for me- and I am not pregnant. (Oh, yeah, I checked that. Regardless of some snooty doctor's assistant who told me I was too old for that[when I asked for a lead apron while having my foot x-rayed a few years ago], my feeling is that if you are cycling, you could be popping out eggs.)

And as weight loss is supposed to get more difficult in menopause from everything I've read, this makes me feel glum. (And what do we do when we're glum? That's right.)

Sigh.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I get it. Had I been a Sodom and Gomorrah, I would totally have become a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. (apologies if you don't understand the reference).

Essentially, I keep going back to my old ways over and over, so it is hard to make progress.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

avocadogirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Yeah, I get it. Had I been a Sodom and Gomorrah, I would totally have become a pillar of salt like Lot's wife. (apologies if you don't understand the reference).

Essentially, I keep going back to my old ways over and over, so it is hard to make progress.
    It's a great reference. When I was at the Dead Sea in Israel I saw those pillars of salt. Rows of them. A striking visual.

Sabine- I really don't think there are many people for whom it just clicks and that's it. The few people I know who are so wholly devoted to their diets and exercise routines have little else in their lives. Whether it is because they are younger and just starting out or they have made choices in their lives which enable them to devote a lot of time to themselves.

The rest of us mortals have so many demands on our time and attention, whether from work or our families or both (!!!) that we can't devote all this extra time to nurture ourselves completely. We do the best we can. Progress and not perfection.

I spent 7 years in psychotherapy to deal with a lot of issues I'm not forthcoming with in my journal, but one of those was having disordered eating in the form of binge eating. Therapy helped me so much in dealing with it. I learned it had nothing to do with which diet or WOE or lifestyle. I am trying to eat more primally-paleo for my health, to stop my autoimmune disorder from progressing but even so, I still fall into my old habits. I still stare at the pantry and have to conjure my therapist's voice in my mind so I don't eat mindlessly. Even then, I fail. But I fail less now then 10 or 15 years ago, so progress.

Don't dismiss how much of a factor stress plays.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I don't know that I've had any epiphanies or anything like that, but I know things really started clicking and lightbulbs started popping when I read It Starts with Food. I don't know if it was the way they explained it or if it was simply the information provided, but because of reading that book, I am doing very very well with controlling my eating (both compulsions and simple desires). Maybe this is something you could read and see if it helps at all?
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Coll is offline Senior Member
    I think you will find that most of us do really well for a while, and we love to talk about it while it is going well. And then, we struggle because life happens and stress, no sleep, etc etc etc. I can totally relate!! But I do see that I am still doing so much better than I used to even when I fail. I am now failing with 60% cocoa 'dark' chocolate and maybe on a really bad day I will chow down about 12 pieces. But it is still primal and I still feel ok even if it was too much. Couldn't you plan some ok treats for when you feel you need something and then it isn't something that sets you back. It has been so good for us to just not have the 'bad stuff' in the house otherwise I would certainly have partaken whenever I had not slept enough etc. Just remember that we are all standing with you and cheering you on! Just get up and keep on trying to take another step. You will get it! And maybe you will be able to deal with the things that derail you so that they don't have as much power over you anymore - I will pray for you that you will be able to move on from the things that keep messing you up ... have a good night and remember that there is always hope {{{ hug}}}
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    I keep reminding myself that journals, while interesting and very personal, aren't the whole story. It is easy to read about other people's lives and forget that you aren't getting the whole picture, no matter how good a writer that person may be. I know that in my own journal I really concentrate on certain areas and leave out other bits, because it would be way too long, way too boring, and way too irrelevant. But that means that the version of me that you get here is skewed. Sometimes when I look back in journal, I barely recognize myself! I tend to leave out the really bad sh*t, because that is what works for me. I fall and I get up, I fall and I get up. I don't have the temptations other people have in their lives - namely other people. If I did, honestly I don't know if I could do this. I had a great primal dinner, alone in my office. Then I went upstairs and everyone was eating McDonalds. Thank goodness I have my own space.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that we all fail at times even if we don't record it here. I admire you so much for continuing on this journey - that shows real strength.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Sabine, I just got back from a vacation in Florida. I ate whatever I wanted for 9 days and gained 15 lbs. I should know better. I have health issues which are silent but can be deadly and yet I still act like a fool where food is concerned.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Coll is offline Senior Member
    Yup, what I was saying! I tend to play down my failures (probably because I don't want to 'fess up and face it) But all that to say, don't beat up on yourself - we all do it!
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    I'm caught up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    EVERYONE smiles at you if you are walking three black dachshunds!

but when you get down to it, I have nothing beyond sloth preventing me from doing the basics of fitness. I have the time, I have the body in working order.
    This is me.

Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I like your upward graph idea. The first thing I thought of was pounds lost rather than current weight being the data plotted.
    I like that idea too!

I love greens with eggs! I could eat them every morning.
    "I could eat them with a goat, I could eat them in a coat,
    I could eat them with a fox,I could eat them i a box,
    I could eat them hear or there.
    I could eat them anywhere!"

This popped into my mind as I read your post
    heeheehee

Shovelglove is interesting. I did five minutes worth. The dogs thought I was nuts for the first minute, then ignored me.
    I should dig my sledgehammer out again...

My dogs killed a chihuahua puppy that got into our backyard. It was just terrible. We are all in tears over it.
    I know this is late, but I'm so sorry you had to experience that {{{hugs}}}

Quote Originally Posted by Judg View Post
    I really think you're onto something good, aiming for 100%. Even in the PB book, he emphasized that you should aim for 100, then when you don't quite make it, you're okay. Aiming for 80/20 is asking to hit 60/40, which just doesn't work very well.
    absolutely

How is it that some people have epiphanies, and poof, that's it? They change, and never look back. And others of us, we learn, and fail. Over and over.
    idk
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy