Thread: Avocados and omegas page

Rattybag is offline Senior Member

Avocados and omegas

Primal Fuel
    Im tracking my foods on paleotrack.com and I seem to often go over my omega 6 in ratio to omega 3.

What I dont understand is that avocados seem to be a big yes, yet its contents are typically omega 3 = 40mg and omega 6 = 500g! How can that be when everyone seems to swear by them?
    Im confused by this.
    Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    You have a good point. I've been wondering the same thing. I've been avoiding them due to their histamine content. I've tried reintroducing them recently but they seemed to cause bloating. Shame, as they are yummy.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Primal Couple is offline Junior Member
    Help... I've been wondering about Avocados and their fat content etc. that's how I stumbled upon this thread. The thread by Paleo Bunny on bloating and the histamine content. I'm questioning if I have found the cause of my bloating and painful belly aches after eating. Please explain. Not that I eat Avocados at every meal but I've been trying to increase my fiber without having too much lettuce (that seems to bother my gut as well) While on the subject of Avocados...how much is too much at one sitting. I hate wasting half and they always turn brown.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    500mg of omega-6 is really not all that bad. Nuts and poultry are much larger contributors for most Primal/Paleo eaters. See almonds (over 3g per ounce) and chicken thigh (over 4g per cup), versus an entire avocado (less than 3 grams):

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Chicken, broilers or fryers, thigh, meat and skin, cooked, roasted
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Nuts, almonds [Includes USDA commodity food A256, A264]
    Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Avocados, raw, California

I do not know much about the bloating and stomach pain issue. Some people are allergic to avocado and other latex family plants like banana and plantain. I think i have heard that it is worse when the fruits are underripe. Plus avocados taste some much more awesome when they are fully ripe.

The best method I've found to keep an avocado half from discoloring is to place it cut side down (with the skin still on of course) on a flat plate and kinda twist/smush it into the surface of the plate. Alternatively, you can remove the fruit from the skin and pack the pureed/mashed fruit tightly into tupperware and cover with a layer of plastic wrap pressed directly onto the surface of the fruit. Lemon juice also seems to help.

@Primal Couple: What's your reason for trying to get more fiber? Soluble fiber is generally good stuff, but insoluble is not really good. Here is Mark's take: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fiber/#axzz28Li8r5jQ
    Last edited by yodiewan; 10-04-2012 at 10:19 AM.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I'm sensitive to uncooked bananas. Fried bananas are much better tolerated - they taste delicious too, so yes I could be sensitive to the latex family.

I don't get a noticable reaction to avocado any more, but I tend to eat smallish amounts in sushi or a salad when I eat out. I am much more tolerant of histamine now that my inflammation levels are reduced and I've detoxed mercury, so I'm having to be less restrictive about my diet.

I find the combo of salmon and avocado an amazing taste sensation and it makes me feel very energised the following day. This balances out O3 and O6 to a healthy ratio and both are superfoods with lots to offer, so I recommend this combo.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    If avacadoes are one of the biggest caloric contributors to your diet, then yes, you may be right to be concerned.

However, if you eat a more balanced diet that contains fats from a wide variety of sources, get some good fatty fish in you... I wouldn't be too worried about it truthfully.