Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Giving up coffee for March, who's with me? page 10

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, 12 days in. How's everybody doing?

I'm starting to see a bit of a benefit now the cravings have totally passed. The first few days were tough with getting sleepy in the afternoons and REALLY wanting a coffee in the morning, but managed to stay strong. I was able to sit with a few people the other day who were all drinking coffee and not join in, despite their repeated offerings. That was hard! I've gotta say that I don't feel massively different yet, but I'm feeling consistently more alert and evenly energised throughout the day. Someone mentioned losing the brain fog, I think that sums it up. So it's been a positive experience so far. I feel like I've broken the habit, and could have a coffee tomorrow without needing one after, or again the next day and the day after....etc. Not that I'm going to of course, at least for another 19 days!

Ayla - good news, glad it's going well for you.
    Jimpag - don't worry dude, just keep trying, you'll get there.

Welcome and good luck to evertastica and aliophile.

mrsmcmeaty is offline Member
    I was doing really well until today when I was invited unexpectedly for lunch, the situation was a bit stressful and I said yes to coffee afterwards without even thinking...still, one in 12 days is pretty good for me!
    There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in - Leonard Cohen

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    I'm proud of being defensive when I'm being attacked. I didn't view your comments as a disagreement as such, because I've yet to form a solid opinion on it myself, hence the reason I'm doing this in the first place. I can't disagree if my mind isn't made up. I was more taken aback by the (perceived) arrogance of calling my idea terrible (without explanation), your sweeping generalisations, and your "if everyone did as I did the world would be a better place" mentality. Yeah, I was guilty of judging you from that respect, but we all make judgements based on the information we're fed at the time. Whilst I'm swaying more in agreement with TFC, I'm still open to your opinions at present. TFC is clearly a passionate and well-researched commenter, as it appears are you. And whilst I can see why TFC's sarcastic tone towards you would upset you, going around calling people idiots on a faceless Internet forum? Not helpful and not something I want to be part of.
    To drag this thread back to the original purpose, the "health drawbacks" I refer to were based on my experience of 2 occasions where the only thing different in my life (from a diet perspective), was the drinking of coffee. I wish I could be more specific and nail it down to a particular symptom, but whether it's physiological, psychological or whatever, I couldn't care less. If I eliminate it and feel better, then happy days! I'm not about to go around wearing a t-shirt claiming "coffee is the devil", I'm just gonna chalk it down to an improvement in my life and carry on. I may even have the odd cup of coffee when I feel like it too. Who knows. It's an experiment, can't be a terrible idea (or a great one) by definition.
    I said I don't want to be discussing the science of caffeine effects on the body because I don't feel I know enough about it, but also because I could be sat in front of the worlds leading authority on caffeine, with him/her telling me one cup a day was fine, and I still wouldn't accept it as true if it didn't tally with my experience. For me, that's one of the major principles of the PB, not just accepting the expert advice (and all the agendas that shape it) on stuff when the experience would suggest otherwise.
    I've nothing against you personally NOTR, I hope you can understand why I reacted like I did to your comments in relation to the form they were presented in. I've nothing further to add and won't be pursuing any more one-to-one postings with yourself, but will read any further comments with an open mind.
    apologies to you for coming across the wrong way in my original post/reply. saying "terrible idea" was a bit of an attempt at humor (though we all know how that usually works on messwage boards). i did not mean to be attacking you personally, just thought i'd throw an idea out there. i read your original post, and what i came away with it from was the idea that you had simply lowered your caffeine intake (cutting out coffee but still consuming several mugs of quality tea a day) and were now seeing results. i simply approached it from the standpoint that it wasn't the coffee that was causing you issues, but the higher level of caffeine consumption. as this is an ongoing experiment for you, i wonder if at some point in time you'd further try adding coffee back in, but eliminating the tea (thus keeping caffeine consumption at a low level) or even a total cafeine elimination (no coffee or tea). my point being, i wonder if it's a certain level of caffeine consumption that causes you ill effects, or some specific compound in coffee that does it for you. that's where i was coming from.

Margo48 is offline Junior Member
    I look forward to your observations, but there's no way I'll giving up my coffee. I love the stuff and I don't think it's 'bad' for you at all, even in quite large quantities. I feel feel the same whether I've had zero mugs or 8 mugs. I've never got that 'coffee buzz' thing. I just like the taste of it.

Does Rooibos defaccinated tea count as good or bad?

Quote Originally Posted by michellethompson View Post
    Does Rooibos defaccinated tea count as good or bad?
    Yeah Rooibos is all good. It's not technically a tea (all true tea comes from the same plant), and should be naturally caffeine-free. Comes with antioxidants too. More detail from Mark here. You'll find differing opinions on the benefits of tea/coffee thing anyway. Best to think of Rooibos as not even in the debate.

Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    apologies to you for coming across the wrong way in my original post/reply....
    No worries dude, we've made ourselves clear and we now understand each other better. Let's move on.

As for the approach going forward, I don't really have a strategy. I just thought I'd give it a month and see what happens. I certainly don't think I'll never drink coffee again, I love it! It's been amazingly hard these last 15 days without it, and I'd definitely miss it long term. I'm probably veering towards the reduced caffeine explanation rather than it being specifically coffee. I think the problem with coffee is that one leads to another and another very easily for me, whereas with tea I don't need it in the same way. So yeah, I could eliminate tea and give coffee ago for a bit, but I reckon overall my caffeine consumption would increase loads. More likely I'll have the odd cup once or twice a week in addition and see how that affects me, both from a vitality point of view and to see if I control the cravings (if that's the right word) again.

not on the rug is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    No worries dude, we've made ourselves clear and we now understand each other better. Let's move on.

As for the approach going forward, I don't really have a strategy. I just thought I'd give it a month and see what happens. I certainly don't think I'll never drink coffee again, I love it! It's been amazingly hard these last 15 days without it, and I'd definitely miss it long term. I'm probably veering towards the reduced caffeine explanation rather than it being specifically coffee. I think the problem with coffee is that one leads to another and another very easily for me, whereas with tea I don't need it in the same way. So yeah, I could eliminate tea and give coffee ago for a bit, but I reckon overall my caffeine consumption would increase loads. More likely I'll have the odd cup once or twice a week in addition and see how that affects me, both from a vitality point of view and to see if I control the cravings (if that's the right word) again.
    i'm the same way. i could drink good coffee all day long. but after 2 or a max 3 mugs, i'm flying from the caffeine.

good luck with your experiment, and i'll be following this thread

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910