Thread: Hummus not OK? page

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Hummus is made from chickpeas, which is a legume. Does this mean hummus is not something acceptable in the Primal diet?

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Not really, no. It could fall into your 20% if you choose. It's one of the things I sorta miss, but I haven't found a good reason to indulge lately.

Trau is offline Junior Member

I'd suggest baba ghanouj as an excellent replacement for any situation you would've used hummous. In my experience, it's easier to make homemade than hommous anyway -- the consistency is much easier to hit perfectly, whereas I can never get hummous as smooth and creamy as I want it to be.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

After not eating hummus (which I LOVE) for several months, then reintroducing it (I made it for a party)... the bloating/gas/discomfort was enough to prove to me that legumes are evil. heh.

That said, I think what I like about hummus is the tahini/lemon flavorings... so something like baba ganoush or a "hummus" made with cooked zucchini instead of chickpeas might be just as satisfying. I just haven't tried it yet.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

verdilak is offline Member

I want to also try a zucchini style hummus with either tahini or almond butter.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Great, thanks for the responses!

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

If you're cravings some, try http://www.sonofgrok.com/2009/06/pri...icious-hummus/

Its made with zucinni (so you might not get the same indigestion as with chickpeas), and without the canola/soy oils found in storebought hummus.

CrossFix Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Iceskater thats going on my todo list