Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lat Pulldowns for Pull Up Training page

Warmblood58 is offline Junior Member

Lat Pulldowns for Pull Up Training

Hi, three weeks in and enjoy this way of life -40lbs to go! I am going to start incorporating Lat Pulldowns into my circuit training so that I can start to muscle up for pull ups -just read an excellent link promoting Lat Pull Downs as a great muscle trainer/strengthener for the real deal, namely the pull up -hope to be able to do three -6 by the end of April with good form. 40 extra pounds is a lot of weight to pull up and lower!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure where you read that but IMO you'd be better off with Band/Australian/Jumping Pull Ups. I know plenty of people who can pull their body weight on a Lat Pull Down and can't even do a single pull up.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    Going along with what Coach Palfrey said, different exercises tend to target slightly different muscles - and so generally the best training for standard pullups is going to be some kind of band-assisted pullups, negatives, or the like.

That said, I've been travelling the past few weeks, and while my hotel gym didn't have a bar I could use for pull-ups, they had a lat pulldown machine. It was the next best thing, given the circumstances. Unfortunately, deadlifts tend to be much harder to replace when you're on the road, unless you find a real gym.

Spinman is offline Member
    My recommendation is if you are going to do lat pull downs in lieu of pull-ups, make sure you are really intense about it. Don't just stimulate the muscle, overload it and go for complete failure. Check out Body By Science for suggestions.

pyrosis is offline Member
    Meh. Lat pulls worked for me when I was learning the pullup, of course I was a thirteen year old boy at the time. YMMV

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warmblood58 View Post
    Hi, three weeks in and enjoy this way of life -40lbs to go! I am going to start incorporating Lat Pulldowns into my circuit training so that I can start to muscle up for pull ups -just read an excellent link promoting Lat Pull Downs as a great muscle trainer/strengthener for the real deal, namely the pull up -hope to be able to do three -6 by the end of April with good form. 40 extra pounds is a lot of weight to pull up and lower!
    Lat pulldowns are an open chain exercise, pull-ups are a closed chain exercise. Pulldowns don't generally carry over to pull-ups. If you want to improve your pull-ups, you need to practice the pull-up.Try jump-assist pull-ups, band-assist pull-ups, leg-assist pull-ups, or negative only. Forget the pulldowns unless you are just interested in adding size to the back.

Steve

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    If you can do a body weight row on a dip stand or even a table in your house, that is usually considered a good precursor to a pull up
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Found the link online which validated my thoughts about Lat pull downs - I was working out the other day and realizing that Lat pull downs as a precursory muscle training technique in advance of pull ups would be a good tool for me at this point in my conditioning with the tools available to me. I think the jump assist technique would work too as well as the negatives - will try them all and rotate the techniques. I think the loss of the extra 40lbs will help too as 40 extra pounds is a lot of extra weight to pull up on top of my normal body weight -

Hey, found this excellent video for beginners just starting out with pull ups -check it out!

Beginners Pull Up Workout Tutorial Week 1 strength training for pull ups workouts exercises - YouTube

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Here's an article I wrote a while back about learning to do pull-ups. It echoes some of the sentiments expressed earlier in this thread.

I've also got a new book about pull-ups coming out soon.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast