Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Good result with "grocery store" foods? page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

Good result with "grocery store" foods?

Primal Fuel
    I know ideally we should eat all locally grown, organic produce, eggs, and grass-fed free range meats. But it's insanely expensive to eat 100% this way. Is anyone still getting good results eating regular grocery store meats and produce? I just can't afford $18.99/lb for grass-fed organic steaks. But I figure even if I eat the regular non-organic meats and produce, it's gotta be better than hot dogs and potato chips.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Yes. Absolutely you can get 99% of the benefit of primal with grocery store foods. Be vigilant reading labels and avoid labels with generalities (eg "spices")
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

adameads is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Yes. Absolutely you can get 99% of the benefit of primal with grocery store foods. Be vigilant reading labels and avoid labels with generalities (eg "spices")
    This. I would say eating grass fed beef is the one thing I choose not to compromise on. Oh, and eggs. I found a farm that sells them for $3/dozen. Eggs are $2+ in the store anymore, so it's worth the extra buck.

bdilla is offline Senior Member
    I try my absolute best to make it a priority. I allocate extra funds for it, because it's important to me. Especially with grass fed and pastured meats; and for more than just the health properties. I know how commercial operations raise animals and understand the conditions, the processing methods, etc.

Obviously if you can't afford it then you're going to be fine with simply cutting out the grains, sugars, and processed foods.
    this great blue world of ours seems a house of leaves, moments before the wind

bryanccfshr is offline Senior Member
    I will tell you. I buy both. Cost is not an issue. Availablity of certain cuts is. For conventional meets favor ruminants over chicken and pork. You will get excellent results justby cuttingpoisonous things. I don't considerconventional meat to be poison.
    Integrity is what we do when nobody's watching.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Remember that millions of people have successfully lost weight and regained health without consuming organic, pastured animal products.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    There are plenty of grass fed cuts that are sold at 4.99/lb-9.99/lb... I've become a master of the London Broil over the last two years (top round @ 6.49/lb).

adameads is offline Senior Member
    Do tell, deepglades

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    Plain "grocery store" steak just sucks. I won't spring for $20/lb grass-fed either but there is often something decent on sale and barring that I've come to prefer cuts like shank anyway that don't cost that much to begin with.

As far as green grocery it depends on cost and price as to whether I spring for organic. We're lucky to have a small chain that specializes in it (Lambert's) and a weekly wholesale leftovers market right downtown. (Haymarket) With luck I'm closing on a new house next week and one of the first major purchases is going to be a chest freezer which should help w/ the cost of meat.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by IvyBlue View Post
    Plain "grocery store" steak just sucks. I won't spring for $20/lb grass-fed either but there is often something decent on sale and barring that I've come to prefer cuts like shank anyway that don't cost that much to begin with.
    I find Certified Angus Beef is much better than regular beef. It costs a little more but isn't nearly as expensive as grass-fed organic, at least in my area.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast