Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Good result with "grocery store" foods? page 3

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have never been able to afford grassfed/organic and I lost over 90 lbs and am now 1000x better shape. So yeah...
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back?” - Rivvin

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    I wish we could afford it, but we've seen pretty good results on non-organic meats and veggies. I buy organic as much as I can, especially when I'm feeding my kids.

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamsc View Post
    I'm in South Carolina, not South Florida, but try things from the cabbage family (such as chard or kale) as winter landscape plants. Decorative cabbages have become popular around here and those used for eating wouldn't be that different. The thing that does best for me in our hot summers is japanese eggplant, which is a medium sized reasonable looking plant (I buy plant starts at Lowes). Cucumbers like heat too but are sprawling--do you have a good place for a trellis?
    I re-connected with an old friend here in in Naples that tells me he grows 90% of his veggies in his yard so I'm on my way! Fire up the roto-tiller!
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Of course you can greatly improve your health just by dumping the SAD way and eating unprocessed foods. You are going to see results with such a change. Is it as good as eating organic/grass fed etc.? No it isn't. But it's still light years better than SAD. I do however truly believe that over time the difference will become more clear. Conventional food for the most part is more toxic and in some cases a whole lot more toxic. Now with the ongoing GMO thing, it's not getting better. These things will take their toll on people. I'm sure of it. Hell, most of the sickness we see around us is in part the conventional food that we've all been eating most of our lives. Remember, these corporations care about one thing and one thing only. Separating us from our money and continuing to do so again and again. Repeat business is essential. Why do you think that processed and fast type foods seem to get such a hold on people? It's BIG BIZZ and these "foods" are engineered to touch us on the deepest subliminal level. If anyone doubts that, eat nothing but real food for a good month or two. Nothing but. Then get those McNuggets or whatever it is you used to think tasted great. If you are truly detoxed, it will taste vile. You simply won't believe how unappealing it actually is. It is addictive stuff and not by accident.

So yes by all means do super market stuff if that is all you can do. Just keep it as "real" as possible. Do try to buy organic when at all possible. Things like eggs should never be a problem for most. In any case, always do the best you can!!

JohnnyNull is offline Member
    Robb Wolf calls not eating Paleo/Primal due to not be able to afford all grass-fed, yadda, yadda, yadda, "hippie excuse number one".

Improving is improving.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyNull View Post
    Robb Wolf calls not eating Paleo/Primal due to not be able to afford all grass-fed, yadda, yadda, yadda, "hippie excuse number one".

Improving is improving.
    And that guy probably has some dough to work with. Tell that to people that just can't swing the bazillion dollars for some GF beef. I agree with you, at least I'm trying.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefGrok View Post
    And that guy probably has some dough to work with. Tell that to people that just can't swing the bazillion dollars for some GF beef. I agree with you, at least I'm trying.
    I think you have it backwards - he's saying do it with the budget you've got, don't give up on the whole thing just because you can't swing for the top-end stuff. In other words, if you can't afford organic paleo, do non-organic paleo.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I think you have it backwards - he's saying do it with the budget you've got, don't give up on the whole thing just because you can't swing for the top-end stuff. In other words, if you can't afford organic paleo, do non-organic paleo.
    You are absolutely right, I misread it in the first place. Thanks!

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Why do you think that processed and fast type foods seem to get such a hold on people? It's BIG BIZZ and these "foods" are engineered to touch us on the deepest subliminal level. If anyone doubts that, eat nothing but real food for a good month or two. Nothing but. Then get those McNuggets or whatever it is you used to think tasted great. If you are truly detoxed, it will taste vile. You simply won't believe how unappealing it actually is. It is addictive stuff and not by accident.
    Oh, I can already tell after only a little over a week of eating primal. I went to Costco last night and, for some reason, they recently moved the produce section past the bakery. (Are they trying to get you to buy crap before you fill your cart with healthy stuff?) So now I'm forced to walk past the bakery to get my veggies. I used to like their muffins but last night when I walked past they smelled so strong and, and a bit gross, that I couldn't stand it. I don't know how but the smell seemed 10x stronger than I remember. It was so overwhelming I almost felt nauseated.

thehallowprince is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChefGrok View Post
    Amen... fuck that bastard. I lost 90 lbs and look amazing and I eat store-bought meats and triple cheeseburgers from Wendys! Don't let good be the enemy of perfect (or whatever the saying is...)

Sorry but if its a choice between paying the rent and getting grass fed I'm gonna pay the rent.

Primal Rule: Avoid stupid mistakes... like getting evicted...
    March 1st 2010: 308lbs | CW: 219lbs / 18.5%BF | New Goal: 16% BF
    Male. 28. 6'4''. Currently working on them muscles and strength!

"My chest hair caught fire when I was fighting a bear with a flamethrower, how do I get my hair back?” - Rivvin

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast