Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My husband wants to get me a bicycle page

geostump is offline Senior Member

My husband wants to get me a bicycle

Shop Now
    My birthday is coming up and my husband wants to get me a bicycle as a present. I have no idea what to look for in a bike or anything. I know nothing about the differences between mountain, road, distance, etc. I'm used to exercise bikes so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    I don't know a lot about bikes. My son who road bikes and mountain bikes recommend a hybrid to me - I have no desire to mountain bike. Here is a description of the hybrid bike:

hybrid bike - what is a hybrid bicycle?

dado Guest
    mountain only if you will hit the trails. mountain on road is the worst thing you can do in your life.

road if you want to hit the road and be cool, smooth, with the wind going over the hair SO BEAUTIFUL

with bikes, you get what you pay for.

between mountain and road, there is some middle ground for smooth tires and easy riding. like a commuter bike.

Tom B-D is offline Senior Member
    Hey Georgette,
    First thing to determine is whether you will ride it just to ride it--for fitness--or whether you'll commute with it, like I do. If it's for fitness and fun, it could be a road bike or mountain bike depending on whether you'll go off-road (road bikes have thinner tires and are faster). But if you live in a place where you could ride it to the grocery store or work, consider a road bike that's adapted for commuting, with a rack (for groceries, etc.), fenders (I ride mine in all weather), lights (Avoid Stupid Mistakes), etc. Consider how your back likes dropped bars vs. flat bar. Beach cruisers are another option for upright comfort, but if you get into biking more, that will likely seem too heavy and slow.

Mine is a Cannondale Quick4 with a flat bar, not dropped bars, fenders and a rack, with an Ortleib waterproof bag that hooks onto the rack. I'm off right now to do some sprints on it, then stop by trader Joe's and Whole Foods...

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    I did a bike road safety course run by the council and they gave excellent advice on which bike to get. See if your council has any biking activities on locally and go down and ask. The advice to me was to get a 'sit up and beg' bike:

I found it much easier to ride on the road than a mountain bike or a hybrid. It also came with better mud guards. I paid a middle range price and was very happy with it. Found a nice man in a bike shop and he serviced it for me every now and again (and replaced the brake pads etc).

review of different kinds of bikes here

What's The Best Bike For Cycle Commuting? - BikeRadar

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    How are your roads? we have bike trails, but the road-bikers tend to like to ride on the road because there's less gravel

Around here they are pushing cyclo-cross bikes as robust enough to go off road (or on crappy road), but light enough to serve as a road bike, whereas hybrid=not good for anything

I'd go to your local bike shop and talk to the bike nerds.
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I won't be going off road with a bike and I won't be commuting or anything like that. It will be primarily used for fitness and will be used on the road. My drive to work is 30 miles so no way that'll be done.

mgeoffriau is offline Junior Member
    Flat bar road bike...not quite as comfy/cushy as cruisers, but much more efficient and fun to ride in my opinion. My wife quickly tired of the weight and clunkiness of her cruiser. Get fitted at a local shop, be upfront with them that you are not going to be commuting or racing or anything like that, and you want a more upright and comfortable riding position. Ride on!

Quote Originally Posted by ottercat View Post
    How are your roads? we have bike trails, but the road-bikers tend to like to ride on the road because there's less gravel

Around here they are pushing cyclo-cross bikes as robust enough to go off road (or on crappy road), but light enough to serve as a road bike, whereas hybrid=not good for anything
    I'd go to your local bike shop and talk to the bike nerds.
    Plenty of sites specifically geared to biking recommend hybrid bikes. While I am no authority, you should explain your POV when you say something is not good for anything.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast