Thread: Beef heart... how to? page

amdws1234 is offline Member

Beef heart... how to?

Primal Fuel
    Of course I can't find the thread now but I saw someone talking about how delicious beef heart is. Sounded as though it needed some preparation beforehand. Just got back from my local farmers market and spoke to my grass fed beef guy about it. He said he'd sell me the whole heart for $5 apiece but he hadn't really cooked it before.

Any tips or pointers? Worth my while?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amdws1234 View Post
    Of course I can't find the thread now but I saw someone talking about how delicious beef heart is. Sounded as though it needed some preparation beforehand. Just got back from my local farmers market and spoke to my grass fed beef guy about it. He said he'd sell me the whole heart for $5 apiece but he hadn't really cooked it before.

Any tips or pointers? Worth my while?
    I've had good luck with stir frying, stewing, and broiling heart. I try not to go past medium. Usually aiming for medium rare.

Matchu is offline Junior Member
    Personally, as a cajun, I eat rice still. Thats the one non-primal food I just cant escape. If youre into tuburs, go with mashed potatoes for this recipe.

I like to cook my heart like a roast. I stuff it with little pieces of garlic in random spots using a tip of a knife to poke 1-2 inch deep holes in the tongue and stuff the pieces in with your finger. Season it less salt (i.e. red pepper, black pepper). Let it set in the fridge overnight.

Now for the fun. You will need for this recipe:
    The tongue
    one medium sized yellow onion chopped
    one large bell pepper chopped
    salt and pepper

Okay to cook it you basically have to burn your tongue(lol) over and over again in a stainless or aluminum or preferably a cast iron pot. What you do is put the heat on medium high and add some lard to coat the bottom of the pot. Put in your tongue(or roast) and let it get dark brown. Flip it. Let that side get brown, Add a little bit of water as the pot gets dry just to pull the burning pieces of the bottom of the pot. Dont be scared its pretty hard to burn. But if your fires too high it will get scary til you get the hang of it. Okay, After your meat is browned, remove iot from the pot. Add the onions and bellpeppers and saute until clear and soft. You can even go as far as cooking them until they are mushy (i like it that way). Once thats done, add your meat back to the pot, then add water to the pot until the meat is covered and brin it to a slow slow boil. Then just let it cook. It may take a few hours to get it all tender. Tongue maybe not so much. Other meats yah. If your water gets too low, just keep adding more. BUT the finished product should be pretty dark brown gravy. It wont be really thick but it will be dark and tasty. If it tastes watery, cook it down more. Once your gravy is done, put it over the rice or potatoes and enjoy! Im telling you if done correctly, it is the best thing youll ever eat. Since its a pretty cheap piece of meat, just give it a try, if you completely destroy it, try again, its worth it, trust me

Go ahead and experiment with other meats as well. Pork, chicken, turkey, wild game. It works the same way. I find that round steak, beef tongue, pork roasts, and turkey necks make the very best gravys!

Good luck!

amdws1234 is offline Member
    Thanks js920. Any special preparation that you need to do beforehand?

Oh Matchu... baby steps, baby steps. Lemme try that heart first, somehow tongue sounds so much more daunting!

peril is offline Senior Member
    I just typed "cook heart" into the search widget at the top of the page. Lots of links there
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Matchu is offline Junior Member
    oh...you can do it with heart too! I meant to type heart the whole time! I just really like the tongue that way!

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Heart is either low and slow, or hot and fast for cooking. I prefer low and slow, especially cubed in a stew. I will often cook it in the oven at 325F on a bed of sliced onions, covered with a can of diced tomatoes with some smoked paprika and hot sauce... Mmmmm.

I find store bought heart needs some cleaning, I usually remove the white tough stuff and the worst of the blood vessels. If it comes from a proper butcher it should be well prepped at least. I find it an exceptionally delicious cut of meat.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by amdws1234 View Post
    Thanks js920. Any special preparation that you need to do beforehand?
    Marinate it the way you would your favorite cut of meat.