Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Cottage cheese should I buy? Any recommendations? page

Vee812 is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

On this page, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fat-food-is-smart-fuel/ Cottage cheese is on the list for "Healthy Fats". Which one should I get? Any recommendations?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member

Any as long as it's full fat! I haven't had any lately, but I liked the taste/texture of Breakstone's better than the generic store brand. It would be ideal if you could find some made from pastured (grass-fed) and unpastuerized cow's milk, but that might mean making it yourself from raw milk, hehe.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

The only store bought cottage cheese I can eat is Land O' Lakes 2%. I'm really new to the Primal eating, so that could be anti-primal LOL But, I couldn't choke down the full fat organic versions from Whole Foods.

The local dairy we get our butter from has some cottage cheese available this week through our CSA so DH put an order in for that and I'll see how it goes. Honestly, I probably really don't even need it...I had to teach myself to like it to begin with.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

One thing is to remember to check carb counts, I've seen full fat vary from 3-5 g. per serving, although that's not the only consideration. I get the cottage cheese produced by a regional dairy coop -- I like the local, farmer-owned aspect, and it tastes good.

I tried Organic Valley brand twice I think, and both time found it to have a weirdly sour, off taste.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

How about none? Stay away of dairy!

Vee812 is offline Junior Member

MichaelA,

Why would I stay away? It's a healthy fat! It is also on the list for "Healthy Fats". Not everyone has to eliminate dairy if they don't want to.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

Why would you eat it? Give me one good reason. I can give you several why you shouldn't...

One cool way of re-understand the dairy issue is that you don't have to "eliminate it" from a "normal diet" but to get rid of the non-necessary items, not talking now about the healthy issue.

Get you fat needs out of nuts, meat and fish.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

But why?

SeanBissell is offline Junior Member

I recently added cottage cheese into my diet.

I'm having issues getting enough protein in my diet without resorting to whey, or eating a ton of meat, which gets expensive and hard to eat all the time.

I know that people don't *need* a ton of protein, yadda yadda, but I'm trying an experiment.

And I know that the casein in cottage cheese can be an issue for some.

Regardless, I'm giving it a shot and seeing if my recovery time (from workouts) and my performance go up... or down.

And now that was a round about way of saying... I'm eating the Trader Joe's stuff. It's pretty good And they *say* they use cows that go out to pasture.

Happy Monday!

-Sean

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Isn't cottage cheese pretty expensive protein? Without crunching some numbers, it strikes me as much more expensive than some CAFO meat or egg whites.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast