Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your Costco staples?

Hybrid View

What are your Costco staples?

If you shop at Costco then I want to know what your staples are... the foods you buy on a regular basis.

I'm a big fan of the following...

1. Kerrygold butter
    2. Kerrygold cheese
    3. Organic Spinach
    4. Organic Spring Mix
    5. Kalamata Olives
    6. Dark Chocolate Chips
    7. Avocados
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Daminit. I forgot organic eggs. I prefer farmers market eggs but Costco eggs seem to be a decent choice and I eat a lot of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    ...but Costco eggs seem to be a decent choice and I eat a lot of them.
    False, they are some of the lowest rated eggs actually: The Cornucopia Institute

These look to be somewhat close though: The Cornucopia Institute

Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    False, they are some of the lowest rated eggs actually: The Cornucopia Institute

How old is this?!

It says that the location is Seattle and the market area is "Nationwide"? From what I know, the eggs are local too. If you are buying organic eggs from Costco in Michigan then they come from farms in Michigan...

Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post

Actually, they really aren't rated at all, so it is hard to tell how good or bad they might be, though the packaging states they are from cage free chickens and meet all of the standards for organic designation.

Quote Originally Posted by mmack66 View Post
    Actually, they really aren't rated at all, so it is hard to tell how good or bad they might be, though the packaging states they are from cage free chickens and meet all of the standards for organic designation.
    The eggs are certainly organic and are cage free. I have no idea what the quality is or what the chickens are fed. I am guessing it depends on the farm that its coming from. Not all of Costco's organic eggs are the same because each Costco gets them from different farms.

I live in Michigan and thus the Costco here in Grand Rapids gets their eggs from a Michigan farm that is decently close. If you live in California then your organic Costco eggs may be entirely different and are probably more "pastured" due to the weather.

I'm doubting that rating system. Costco's egg production has changed recently. I am not saying Costco's eggs are the best but I'll keep eating them if I am unable to get eggs from the farmers market.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post
    The eggs are certainly organic and are cage free. I have no idea what the quality is or what the chickens are fed. I am guessing it depends on the farm that its coming from. Not all of Costco's organic eggs are the same because each Costco gets them from different farms.

I live in Michigan and thus the Costco here in Grand Rapids gets their eggs from a Michigan farm that is decently close. If you live in California then your organic Costco eggs may be entirely different and are probably more "pastured" due to the weather.

I'm doubting that rating system. Costco's egg production has changed recently. I am not saying Costco's eggs are the best but I'll keep eating them if I am unable to get eggs from the farmers market.
    I'm also in doubt about that rating system. They had a big article in the Costco Connection several months ago specifically about the chicken/egg farms in California (which is where I live) that provide them with organic eggs, and it sure looked good to me.

I buy eggs, milk, cream, canned sardines, canned salmon, frozen blueberries, cheese, bacon, sliced ham, and sometimes frozen fish and sometimes ribeyes.

I LOVE Costco. I tend to buy Kerrygold at my local Stater Bros cuz it is not much cheaper at Costco and they only have the spreadable kind.
    I buy all my produce at another place that has the freshest stuff around.

Oh, and check out their olive oil. I heard the Costco brand is reputable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ande View Post
    Oh, and check out their olive oil. I heard the Costco brand is reputable.
    I've read that, too. I haven't bought it, though. I thought about it last time I was there but it was in a clear bottle. It used to come in a can, which helps it last longer. And the bottle is huge, like everything at Costco. I was worried it would be thoroughly rancid before I could use it up.

There are a few food items I buy at Costco:

Petaluma Poultry
    Clamshells of organic mixed greens
    Aidell's sausage
    Kerrygold
    Wine

Most stuff is just too big to use up fast enough. I do buy a lot of non-food items there, though.:

Recycled TP and paper towels
    Eco-friendly laundry detergent and other household cleaners
    Cat food for the feral rescue I volunteer for

I am so jealous that you guys have Kerrygold and organic eggs in Costco. My costco has just the crappy quality butter...on the flip side though, they have a nice range of wild-caught fish that I didn't see back in the states, for nice prices too.