Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to this diet ... starving! page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

New to this diet ... starving!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    First, a little introduction. I have done the South Beach diet before for weight loss and had good results so I am familiar with the benefits of eating healthy carbs and low carbs. But, although I successfully lost weight on SB I did not notice any other health benefits. Well, I did lower my cholesterol from 185 to 165 but there is debate about whether that is actually an improvement. From what I've read about cholesterol, too low is just as bad as too high, and 185 is probably better than 165, actually.
    But anyway, I decided to to try a primal diet instead of SB again because now I'm looking for more than just weight loss. I'm looking to see if diet can resolve some of my ongoing health issues. One of my life-long issues has been "non-allergic rhinitis" and recurrent sinus infections for no apparent reason. By "non-allergic" doctors really mean they have no clue as to why my sinuses and nasal passageways are always inflamed. I had read a couple stories about people having this, among other things, go away when they cut out wheat. So I thought going primal and cutting out grains might help me with my health issues.
    Now to why I put the "starving!" in the subject. I've been eating primal for 3 days now and I'm constantly starving. I find that odd because I was not starving at all on South Beach. To me this is similar to SB but without the grains. I'm eating plenty of meat, vegetables, and some dairy, fruit, and nuts. For example, I had a good sized burger patty with a slice of cheese on it, a slice of cantaloupe, and some cashews for breakfast and it's like I haven't eaten. I feel so hungry. Usually fats from nuts, meat, and cheese are very good at curbing hunger pangs for me but these past few days nothing seems to work. So why do I feel like I'm starving no matter what I eat? The only thing I can think of is that, with the SB diet, I might have had a half slice of whole grain bread with my breakfast. Is it possible this feeling that I'm starving is really a withdrawal from my life-long addiction to wheat products? Will it pass? I hope, because right now I'm feeling miserable and can't imagine feeling hungry all the time as a permanent way of life.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    It may pass, but I would suggest entering rough calculations on a site like FitDay.com to ensure you're eating enough for your activity level.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    I would suggest increasing the healthy fats in your diet. Also - if you're hungry, eat.

Welcome to the Tribe!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    Consider switching to the ultimate primal way of eating, intermittent fasting. Clean out your cupboards and bring in primal foods, then set up an eating window and fast the rest of the time. The fasting brings down the hunger hormones and before long a lot of your cravings will be gone and you will just be a lot happier.
    Read Fast 5 by Bert Herring, the shortest book on diet you can read:
    PDF Ebook The Fast-5 Diet and the Fast-5 Lifestyle | Free PDF Ebooks Files @AcrobatPlanet.Com

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    You've only been doing this for a few days, just eat more if you're starving. That's the recommended solution. Eat as much as you want to, but no more. Pretty soon your appetite will come way down.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Thanks for the quick responses.
    One thing I should clarify is this feeling of hunger is not a craving. I don't really have any mental/emotional desire to eat anything right now. I'm not wishing for any particular food. The hunger is more of a stomach thing. I just have an uncomfortable "empty pit" feeling in my stomach all the time, even immediately after eating. It just never feels like there's anything in it. I'm not very active. I sit at a computer all day for a living. I try to walk my dog a half hour every day for exercise but that's about it. So I'm sure I'm getting enough food for my activity level.

v3spera is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    For example, I had a good sized burger patty with a slice of cheese on it, a slice of cantaloupe, and some cashews for breakfast and it's like I haven't eaten. I feel so hungry. Usually fats from nuts, meat, and cheese are very good at curbing hunger pangs for me but these past few days nothing seems to work. So why do I feel like I'm starving no matter what I eat? .
    I think the example meal needed more veggies!

curlygirl is offline Senior Member
    Keep lots of good food to snack on. Berries, nectarines, apples, grapes. Color veggies like bell pepper, purple cabbage, celery, broccolli, whatever you like! Have some hard boiled eggs cooked and on hand. I have some recipes on my blog for primal snacks, muffins and meals. There are a TON of really great primal blogs out there. Also check out Mark's quick and easy cookbook for ideas. This is fabulous food. You don't have to be hungry. You should be eating better than you ever have! Best of luck
    My blog: Paleo Musings
    Tweeting all things primal: Twitter
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

Quote Originally Posted by v3spera View Post
    I think the example meal needed more veggies!
    Yes. Well, I do get more veggies at lunch and dinner. I just have a hard time with breakfast. Sometimes a little bell pepper, mushrooms, and onion in scrambled egg. But otherwise veggies at breakfast is hard. I just can't stomach the idea of something like a bowl of broccoli first thing in the morning. I clearly need to spend more time looking over recipes.
    Last edited by Sunnivara; 02-24-2012 at 02:08 PM.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    Thanks for the quick responses.
    One thing I should clarify is this feeling of hunger is not a craving. I don't really have any mental/emotional desire to eat anything right now. I'm not wishing for any particular food. The hunger is more of a stomach thing. I just have an uncomfortable "empty pit" feeling in my stomach all the time, even immediately after eating. It just never feels like there's anything in it. I'm not very active. I sit at a computer all day for a living. I try to walk my dog a half hour every day for exercise but that's about it. So I'm sure I'm getting enough food for my activity level.
    I don't think that "add more fat" is the solution to everything, and I think sometimes we're too quick to recommend it here, BUT, in this case you sound very similar to what I struggled with in the early days. I found that when I added just a little extra fat to my breakfast (i.e., one serving of greek yogurt, or a couple slices of bacon, or half an avocado), that "empty pit" feeling went away and I felt better all day. That may or may not be the key for you, but that's what worked for me.
    Last edited by Danielle5690; 02-24-2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: clarity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast