Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Seattle! page

Nancykim is offline Junior Member

Greetings from Seattle!

Primal Fuel
    Hello! Just wanted to introduce myself to the forum. I'm almost 42 years old and began a Primal regime at the start of the month. I did The Zone four years ago and found the theory reasonable, but the practice unsustainable. The actuarial precision required took the fun out of cooking and eating and turned it into macronutrient accounting. I first heard about Paleo through Crossfit circles, but it seemed draconian at the time.

Recently, friends of mine started Primal. My partner wanted to give it a shot and I agreed. Both of us experienced the energy spike, followed by lethargy during aerobic activity such as running. I chalked up the latter to our bodies learning the new metabolic pathway. I love to cook and this shift to fresh, organic veggies as the primary carb source coupled with experimentation with nut flours, coconut milk and oil and other new pantry staples has been a really fun ride. Yes, our grocery bills have grown like a corn-fed cow.

Exercise-wise, I am active. I love bodyweight exercises, chin-ups, pull-ups, push-ups and dips, and compound lifts such as squats and deadlifts. I'm also a fan of kettlebells. I just taught myself to kick up to a handstand, but I can't hold it for very long.

Cheers to everyone!
    Nancy

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Hello. I'm also from the Seattle area and new to the forums here. I've only been on the diet 3 days so I have nothing to report yet. But you've been on it a month now? Have you noticed anything else besides more energy? Mental clarity? Better sleep? Weight loss? Health issues resolving?

silverfox is offline Junior Member
    Hey there. Another Seattilite, welcome to the forum. I'm a long time lurker and only recently a poster. I've been gluten free my whole life. So this diet hasn't been a huge shift for me. The main thing I've been doing is getting my sugar consumption under control. I am currently eating sugar one day a week. I've noticed that everything tastes sweeter now. Like this morning I had a little extra cream in my coffee and it actually tasted sweet. Before I never drank coffee without sugar. I've also lost a few lbs in the 4.5 weeks since I started this. Given that I'm already pretty lean (18%) that's fairly significant.

I have lyme disease and I'm hoping that eliminating sugar will cause me to have fewer flare-ups. I haven't been doing this long enough to know if it's helping.

Good luck with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    Hello. I'm also from the Seattle area and new to the forums here. I've only been on the diet 3 days so I have nothing to report yet. But you've been on it a month now? Have you noticed anything else besides more energy? Mental clarity? Better sleep? Weight loss? Health issues resolving?
    I have noticed a change. Sleep has improved--I wake earlier and feel more awake. Pulled a glute muscle kicking into a handstand on a cold day with no warm up and recovered nearly 100 percent the following day. That may or may not have anything to do with Primal, but I've never bounced back that quickly from a strain or pull. As far as weight loss, I have lost a couple of pounds, but I like to go by BF percentage, not the scale. I feel strong during my workouts and have logged some gains.

My partner's inflammation (one of the reasons we're doing this) has improved significantly. That could be the gluten-free part of the equation. She also feels more alert and sleeps more soundly.

I'd say stick with it!

I'd be really interested in knowing about the effect of Lyme's. A friend of mine has RA and has ditched processed/refined carbs, avoids nightshades and started juicing after seeing 'Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead.' She has seen a marked improvement in her flare-ups as well as full range of motion in her bum knee.

Losing a few pounds when you're already lean is a great bonus!

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I know how the sweet thing is. When I finished phase 1 of the South Beach diet (zero sugar and hardly any carbs for 2 weeks) I added fruit to my diet. I'm actually not an apple lover but the first piece of fruit I ate was an apple and I swear it was the sweetest most delicious thing I ever had. I think my taste buds had been re-sensitized to sugar.

dancingdeer is offline Junior Member
    Hi from Port Townsend! I'm only on Day 2...but so far so good. I've done the low carb thing before with South Beach, and I like how I feel when I'm not eating grains and sugar. Lately, I seem to really crave sugar so I'm hoping this change will eliminate it. I love cooking - and can't wait to try some things made with coconut and nut flours.

Have you thought of a CSA for your meats and veggies? There are so many wonderful local farms around...

Jana

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    So you are all from Seattle?

You may want to join the Western Washington Paleo Enthusiasts meetup group!! Western Washington Paleo Enthusiasts (Seattle, WA) - Meetup

It says most meetups take place in Seattle... go meet some primal/paleo friends in real life!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member

You may want to join the Western Washington Paleo Enthusiasts meetup group!! Western Washington Paleo Enthusiasts (Seattle, WA) - Meetup

It says most meetups take place in Seattle... go meet some primal/paleo friends in real life!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

dancingdeer is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Toad View Post

Thanks for the info! I just joined the group!

Jana

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast