Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's discouraging how much better my workouts are after a cheat day... page

jeffb01 is offline Junior Member

It's discouraging how much better my workouts are after a cheat day...

I workout pretty intense (I'm 40 and my heart rate often hits 170) with fairly heavy weights. The workouts kick my ass. well, yesterday was a total cheat day (multiple reeses peanut butter cups, a bk whopper, you get the idea) and today my workout was so much better even though my heart rate got just as high. I actually checked the weight to make sure it wasn't a lighter weight.

I know it's because my glycogen was totally replenished, but it's just a little discouraging when a cheat is so rewarded. thought?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I also have great workouts after a cheat day. The thing is, it only works (for me) once a week. If I try to do it twice a week, it boomerangs on me and I feel like crap.
    Don't be discouraged: incorporate it into your weekly schedule in a way that makes it work for you. I do all my cheating on Fridays, because then I can give it all I've got during my Saturday morning boot-camp.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    this just sounds like you need more carbs in your diet! no need to fuel with reeses and bk whoppers, when there's sweet potatoes, plantains, yuca, fruit... get those carbs!

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    You would be amazed at the magic 8 donuts do after a heavy squat session...
    If grains and white flour are good for anything it's post workout recovery.

^^ Cycled donuts for a month twice a week after heavy squats to see what would happen, how I felt, how I performed as an experiment. I was pretty amazed at the results -> amazing recovery, strong gains and more "energy" (faster bar speed, better stability etc).

At the beginning of the month the donuts tasted terrific, by the end bleh didn't even taste good. This makes me think I just generally am super low on carbs normally so my body was responding to TONS of carbs really favorably (increased performance as well as taste) once I kind of topped off my glycogen though the effects (and taste) had declined. It was an interesting experiment that reinforced my notion that my body tells me what it wants -- in this case refined, quickly absorbed carbohydrates and sugar after working out heavy...

Since the end of this experiment I have added more healthy, primal carbs to my diet at the expense of muscle meat.
    ad astra per aspera

jakey is offline Senior Member
    you guys... eat some frickin carbs! lay off the donuts and crap!

primal-dan is offline Member
    Since you mention cheat days I assume you're restricting how much you eat in order to loose weight. If that is the case, then yeah, eating until you are satisfied will give you a boost. A better way to get the same boost is have a 6-banana smoothie with a full can of coconut milk, or bake a few sweet potatoes worth of fries in a quarter cup of coconut oil.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Try eating half a potato and a cup of egg whites (or anything with ~ 30 g carb and 15 g protein) before your non-cheat day workout, and see if you get the same benefit
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffb01 View Post
    I workout pretty intense (I'm 40 and my heart rate often hits 170) with fairly heavy weights. The workouts kick my ass. well, yesterday was a total cheat day (multiple reeses peanut butter cups, a bk whopper, you get the idea) and today my workout was so much better even though my heart rate got just as high. I actually checked the weight to make sure it wasn't a lighter weight.

I know it's because my glycogen was totally replenished, but it's just a little discouraging when a cheat is so rewarded. thought?
    Your glycogen should be close to replenished. I've not seen a good argument for chronically depleted glycogen stores yet.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Your glycogen should be close to replenished. I've not seen a good argument for chronically depleted glycogen stores yet.
    apparently there is a study stating that endurance performance is increased from glycogen depleted training
    ad astra per aspera

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFastCat View Post
    apparently there is a study stating that endurance performance is increased from glycogen depleted training
    Do you have a link? I've read that muscle mass is compromised by glycogen depleted training.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast