Thread: "Big Papi" David Ortiz on a new, Paleo-ish diet page

dirk41 is offline Senior Member

"Big Papi" David Ortiz on a new, Paleo-ish diet

Primal Fuel
    Check out the story. [ESPN Boston]

Not 100% Paleo, as he weirdly can't eat chicken, shrimp, or eggs whites. But in line with Paleo, he can't eat bread or sweets. As for what he can eat? Egg yolks, salmon, salads, vegetables, lobster, and beef without restrictions ("No one telling him he can't eat a steak bigger than a deck of cards"). Apparently he had some tests done and some dietitians recommended these foods. As one of them said, "The whole scientific premise is that certain foods are causing inflammatory responses...identifying your food intolerances can cause a decrease in those responses, and people have experienced weight loss, become really lean, had fewer migraines, improved energy, less joint pain and other benefits."

Pretty Paleo if you ask me. As for other athletes, I've heard Novak Djokovic is following a Paleo-ish diet now as well.

dado Guest
    DIRK!!!

Dirk is hitting full stride again, man. He's gotta be a primal dog.

Too little too late for Big Papi, imo.

Novak is on record about going 'gluten-free' and his play has gone THROUGH THE ROOF SINCE!

Novak is the man.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
    Check out the story. [ESPN Boston]

Not 100% Paleo, as he weirdly can't eat chicken, shrimp, or eggs whites. But in line with Paleo, he can't eat bread or sweets. As for what he can eat? Egg yolks, salmon, salads, vegetables, lobster, and beef without restrictions ("No one telling him he can't eat a steak bigger than a deck of cards"). Apparently he had some tests done and some dietitians recommended these foods. As one of them said, "The whole scientific premise is that certain foods are causing inflammatory responses...identifying your food intolerances can cause a decrease in those responses, and people have experienced weight loss, become really lean, had fewer migraines, improved energy, less joint pain and other benefits."

Pretty Paleo if you ask me. As for other athletes, I've heard Novak Djokovic is following a Paleo-ish diet now as well.
    +1 to Big Papi!! Hopefully it works out well and he is compliant, a big celebrity like this can actually make a big impact. Plus I am a bostonian hahaha
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

#1-a grown man should never call another man "big papi". his name is david ortiz
    #2-maybe brady should start eating paleo so he can run with the big boys again (yeah, i said it. GO GIANTS!)
    #3-boston wicked sucks!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
    Not 100% Paleo, as he weirdly can't eat chicken, shrimp, or eggs whites.
    Are these foods compulsory on paleo?
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Are these foods compulsory on paleo?
    Good point. I guess his diet is closer to full Paleo than I thought. Although we don't have any info on what cooking oils he's using and whether he's eating grass-fed beef...

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by not on the rug View Post
    #1-a grown man should never call another man "big papi". his name is david ortiz
    #2-maybe brady should start eating paleo so he can run with the big boys again (yeah, i said it. GO GIANTS!)
    #3-boston wicked sucks!
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

DavidBrennan is offline Banned
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    UPDATE!

I just want everybody to know that, here in Detroit, the Tigers opened the season yesterday against David Ortiz's team, the Red Sox. "Big Papi" (a nickname that's soon to change!) came to bat in either the first or second inning. The announcers immediately began talking about how slim David Ortiz is now. The mindless main announcer, Mario Impemba (just a big government toadie who orders the baseball audience to worship the military in every single game) said something like, "He must be eating more salads."

I thought, "Yeah, I'm sure he is eating more salads...and also more steaks, cheeseburgers, pork, omelets, whole milk, and all the other foods enjoyed by the paleo community."

So we can add David Ortiz to the list with the NFL quarterback Aaron Rodgers (who reportedly said 'The Paleo Solution' and the Bible were the only two books he took with him to the Super Bowl, according to Robb Wolf) who have prospered on primal/paleo. Here's hoping more athletes embrace and acknowledge their paleo diets.

(UPDATE #2: Cincinnati Reds star Jay Bruce also lost 16 pounds by going paleo.)