Thread: Alton Brown's Plan of Four Lists page

louden is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

I wanted to see what everyone thought of how the Primal Diet compared to Alton Brown's Plan of Four Lists, which is low-moderate carb. Here's a googled web post that shows the list contents (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/b/2010...ating-plan.htm)

The differences to me -

AB might give whole grains, carrots and sweet potatoes more emphasis than the PD

PD might give red meat and seeds more emphasis than AB...

Overall, they are close in my eyes as nutritionally dense (compared to energy dense) and I think you can stay consistent with both as you dial up or down your carbs to either lose weight or maintain a weight...

Thoughts?

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Have you seen AB lately? He's skinny, but he looks like he put on a year for every pound he lost. Dude looks haggard.

mandabear2010 is offline Senior Member

I haven't read it yet, but I am about to. I love AB he is probably my favorite celebrity chef because he is not only hilarious but he has taught me a lot about how my body digests food. He really isn't a HUGE supporter of grains, from what I have learned on his show. He has blatently said (In a commercial) that we should eat more of what is healthy for us "Meats, veggies and fruits" He completely omitted grain... that's when I really started believing in PB more and more... (Before I ever read the book or the site, I just had hearse to go on)

Anywho, I look forward to reading it.

Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

Not enough meat. I love Alton, though. He's definitely the go to guy for cooking tips.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

so what would your 4 lists be?

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

CrossFix Guest

I love Alton Brown. He cooks close enough to Paleo that I can take his recipes and convert them on the spot and they still taste amazing.

I think everything i've ever cooked can be attributed to lessons from either my mom or that man.

mayness is offline Senior Member

I'm a big AB fan as well. And I like the idea of the lists a lot... I'm gonna start working on my own lists, that sounds like fun!

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

louden is offline Junior Member

Here&#39;s a summary (of his list -not mine)

Daily:

-Fruits

-Whole Grains

-Leafy Greens

-Nuts

-Carrots

-Green Tea

3 x Weekly (at least)

-Oily Fish

-Yogurt

-Broccoli

-Sweet Potato

-Avocado

1 x Weekly (at most)

-Red Meat

-Pasta

-Dessert

-Alcohol

0 x Weekly

-Fast Food

-Soda

-Processed Meals

-Canned Soup

-Diet Anything

danmerk23 is offline Junior Member

I really liked his "0x" list. Stating that "Diet Anything" is going to piss off some sponsors and I think that is what its going to take to get this country to stop being so fat. I was out sick all week for the first time in a year and I watched some TV. My goodness, its nothing but diet everything and TONS of the next best idea for a food product. This just has to stop.

Canned soup too. Glad to hear him say it. I bet sales fall! yay.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Yuh huh whole grains daily red meat once per week yuh huh right right. Yeah 47 years old and looks like a geezer while Mark and Dr. Mercola eat grains never and red meat daily and look younger while being older.

I know correlation doesn&#39;t necessitate causation but from what I&#39;ve learned about grains, pasty white men (usually protein type metabolisms) and aging I think I can put two and two together.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!