Thread: Olympic what? page

Nekurahn is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

So as some of you may have heard, I am Canadian (eh?). Shocking, I know.

This morning, my mom was telling me how one of our athletes' mom died of a heart attack.

Quote from my mom: "She was so young and healthy!"

Fast-forward 5 hours to me grilling some salmon in te kitchen. I open the news to hear about this very same story.

They showed a picture of the mother, who was about 3 times the width and 2/3 the height of her 20-something(?) daughter.

Quote from the news: "She was only 55! How could this have happened?"

Okay, so I know we're all constantly saying that the norm has been moving in the wrong direction for a long time, but this...come on. That's like nobody even looked at the picture.

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but if my mother and the people at the news station can't understand how on Earth a 300 pound (guesstimate) woman of 55 years of age can have a heart attack, maybe the situation is a lot worse than we realize.

Thoughts?

CrossFix Guest

It is a very sad and unfortunate situation. We live in different times now where we have access to a wealth of knowledge at the click of google. It is easy for us to judge people but in all honesty not all people are lucky like our generation.

We can literally log online and learn about anything. Putting myself in this woman's shoes she probably grew up in a time when there was not that much knowledge of health out there (and if you wanted it you'd have to walk to a library, research the book, and read it). She was ruled by CW.

We can only hope that the great knowledge we know about health and exercise gets passed to as many people as possible.

Katt is offline Senior Member

It's very sad. We do have a lot of info out there. Adn that is both a blessing, and part of the problem. Our very 'experts' who are supposed to know the truth, tell us multiple stories. People are overwhelmed with it all and don't know who to believe anymore. So they just stop looking. I know several ostriches over here. (Sticking their heads in the sand so they can't see the danger anymore.)

Start weight: 250 - 06/2009
    Current weight: 199
    Goal: 145

anniegebel Guest

I agree...sad and frustrating. I think some people are under the impression that if they have a salad with dinner a few times a week they're "so healthy." And it's un-PC too say anything harsh about people who are obviously (or even not as obviously) overweight.

And all the differing opinions of what to eat and do just make life so confusing. I was telling my mom about what I'm learning here and how it's almost the opposite of the low fat/high fiber diet I was consuming a few weeks ago. (We ate tons of whole grains.) Her comment was, "It makes me want to just stop eating." She won't...and she asked me to send her some info on PB but her sentiment is understandable. Just when you think you're on the right track...

And yes, Nekurahn, I think the problem is huge...but maybe we're on to something. PB is all over the world and so simple to understand and implement...it's bound to grow. I hope it's bound to grow.

Stabby is offline Senior Member

It's not so fucking hard. It's called critical thinking and self-honesty. You take a look at what all of the health "expert" doctors are saying, analyze their reasoning and the composition of their arguments, and you form your own conclusions based on who is more likely to be right. Why is it that people still think that saturated fat consumption causes heart disease in spite of population studies that starkly contradict the hypothesis, detailed explanations of how it develops, and basic common sense. The self-honesty part comes into play here, are you going to keep eating your vegetable oil, grains and and sugar while wagging your fingers at anyone who doesn't buy "extra lean" chicken, all the while suppressing extreme cognitive dissonance, or are you going to acknowledge the mistake and fucking fix it?

No sympathy for anyone who hasn't memorized this by the way. http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacies/ . While we are not experts or scientists, we can certainly tell which scientists are telling the truth and which are venomous liars.

Rant over. Time for some of that "play" thing mark was talking about.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Right on, Stabby. (Nice link. Unfortunately, the people who most need that education won't read it.)

I came here because of two things: First, I sure as hell do like my steaks and butter, I would prefer a healthy diet that includes them. Second, and this is the big one, what are the results of a chosen eating regimen? And on this site, and others, I found the results I trusted: weight loss, great blood workups, nice bodies, (relative)lack of hunger. And it was all backed up by the logic of the longest term diet experiment ever run, our evolution.

Also further backed up by my own weight loss, great blood panel, but mostly, no more chronic pain and toe nail fungus on the run.

verdilak is offline Member

@OtB and @stabby I completely agree with the both of you.

I showed up here, digested the information in about 8 hours total, and switched the next day to 100% Primal. I hate calling it a diet, but whatever you want to call it, it not only makes sense, but what people, everyday, ordinary people are showing what eating Primal has done for them is what I want. I can feel the proof within my body with the lack of back pain, not being hungry, more energy, weight loss, and increasing strength.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Nekurahn is offline Junior Member

Righteous anger for the win.

/cheer @ Stabby