Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Manuka Honey? page 2

newlife77 is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Brilliant info Zoebird! I have also heard a lot of wonder stories and Manuka is the new buzz word over here at the mo! Blinkin expensive but don't use it loads so does last a while and do believe its very worth it - literally liquid gold!

H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

morgancooper is offline Junior Member
    Manuka Honey is as good as natural honey or even better then that!!!
    Getting natural skincare is not an easy task.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Those of us in the UK get to Aldi, Manuka honey is IIRC something like 4 or 5 quid a jar.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Honey is real food. I eat real food. I buy local honey, fireweed is my favorite if I can get it. A little in my evening cup of tea, drizzled over yogurt & berries, a teaspoon to soothe a sore throat, with mustard as a glaze, sometimes in a salad dressing.

But I'm talking a teaspoon here and a tablespoon there as a minor ingredient...not cups and cups as a substitute for sugar in a dessert recipe.

The health and medicinal benefits of honey outweigh the carb count or insulin spiking effects. Not that I count carbs...
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Gary Conway is offline Senior Member
    Same here. We buy some local, raw honey and use it pretty sparingly.

Bogdan Boranda is offline Junior Member
    Manuka honey is one of the best characterizations of honey specially for treating cancer cells. Honey has been used since ancient times to treat multiple conditions. Honey protects against damage caused by bacteria. Some honey also stimulates production of special cells that can repair tissue damaged by infection. In addition, honey has an anti-inflammatory action that can quickly reduce pain and inflammation once it is applied.Hydrogen peroxide is a component of honey.It gives most honey its antibiotic quality. But some types of honey, including Manuka honey, also have other components with antibacterial qualities. The major antibacterial component in Manuka honey is methylglyoxal is a compound found in most types of honey, but usually only in small quantities. The best uses of Manuka honey are in preventing and treating cancer, Reducing high cholesterol, Reducing systemic inflammation, Treating diabetes, Treating eye, ear, and sinus infections, Treating gastrointestinal problems.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Outside of the local allergy effect,
    Honey is basically sugar, so don't kid yourself in that regard.
    Having said that I don't think any artificial sweeteners are really ok, so if you need a dose of sweet, then honey is probably the best choice in my eyes. The primary benefits as a topical dressing to wounds is the glucose content, it provides an energy source as well as killing bacteria mainly because of high glucose concentration de hydrating the bacteria through osmosis and killing them.

I do use honey quite freely my self and no doubt our ancestors would have gorged on it whenever they had the chance to, so maybe there is a clue there, have a full on desert day sometimes, but not everyday as you'd have to climb a tall tree and risk death for the reward.
    Last edited by Omni; 03-07-2013 at 11:05 PM.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    Those of us in the UK get to Aldi, Manuka honey is IIRC something like 4 or 5 quid a jar.
    Is this hi grade or the cheap +5 stuff?

I'v googled this stuff to death and while on paper it's good stuff, there isn't any proven evidence that it does anything over regular honey or other things in healthy diets.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Ok just did yet another google. This kinda sums it up for me, it near on quotes word for one one of the earlier posts.

Manuka Honey: Evidence for medicinal Uses, benefits and side effects

It seems its better used on the outside of your body ie for cuts and burns...no way am I spending 15 to put this stuff on a cut.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12