Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just over a week and lost 8 pounds without trying! page

Coll is offline Senior Member

Just over a week and lost 8 pounds without trying!

Primal Fuel
    Well, last Tuesday I started the primal lifestyle. No sugar, no grains, very little fruit except berries. Trying to get a walk in with the kids (young) at least every few days. I have also made an effort to get moving more at home, cleaned out the chicken coop and huffed and puffed quite nicely thank you

I am a sugar addict and have been dreading going off the chocolate and candy even while I know I am going to feel so much better without it. I have 'slipped up' once with a small chocolate (not the good kind - I only like the bad kind) but otherwise have been amazed at how little I am craving the sweets! This sugar thing has been a problem since I was a kid stealing sugar from the kitchen and scrounging for pennies to buy anything I could. I spent almost my entire salary as a student nurse on junk foods!! I never gained much weight so didn't care... but the years of junk have taken their toll and I am really overweight now. I am so tired of being tired and of being embarrassed about how I look, no energy, nothing fits, I can't do any of the fun things I love doing. SO, what a THRILL when I weighed myself and found that I had lost 8 pounds in a week! It was not hard and I didn't feel deprived at all - WOW. Now I know that it probably won't all go quite this easily but it was so encouraging. I have gotten so used to trying so hard to lose just a little weight and find that nothing has changed despite feeling like I was putting in max effort.

I am really enjoying the fat... how much is too much? Don't want to overdo it and mess things up either...

It is so good to feel hopeful again. To imagine that I might actually be comfortable in my own skin again one day is almost too hard to think about - it has been so long since I actually enjoyed being in my skin. Love this website and forum... so much information to process, but I am going to head off to bed now and get some of that good stuff, sleep

dancingdeer is offline Junior Member
    I'm just starting today and your post is very encouraging!

Would you mind sharing what you ate most days?

greytgrokette! is offline Junior Member
    Congrat's on beating the sugar addiction! Stories like yours and mine, prove that it can be done. I was just as severe of a sugar addict as you, and in the 6 days of going Paleo, I've lost 5 lbs. I had a large breakfast this morning, and am not hungry, so I'm going to eat a large meal at dinner instead. I'm making a point of only eating 3 meals a day, with no snacking in between meals. And I'm not eating any fruit, as I also want to lose weight. I find that if I'm on track with my health that I can lose upwards of 6 lbs a week, and that's not starving by any means. You may find that the weight loss next week slows down to a more reasonable level around 1 to 3 lbs. So don't worry too much if you don't lose as much weight next week. It's all about how your body burns fat, and loses weight, so don't be too worried about it, unless you are on purpose really cutting back what you eat. So long as you are eating healthy that's the most important thing. Each person loses weight in different ways, and there's no good or bad way to go about it, so long as you are eating healthy, and not starving yourself. Congrats on the weight loss!!

Thanks for the encouragement Greygrokette! THe sugar has been a big deal for me and I can feel its claws are loosening! I am having usually a couple of eggs for breakfast with some raw veggies (like half a bell pepper, a couple mushrooms, a big floret of cauliflower) I am really hungry mid morning and mid afternoon so am having a small handful of almonds or a piece of cheese and maybe some veg again. Am trying to snack on veg and sometimes a little sliver of butter - yum! I am really hoping that I can keep my momentum going and not worry too much about the weight.

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Very encouraging. I've only been on the diet 3 days and my belly feels slightly flatter already. I figured it's just wishful thinking, or maybe just from emptying my bowels of gut-bloating grains. But maybe the fat really is melting away that fast!

3 years ago I was diagnosed with a severe cane sugar allergy, and it's taken me almost that long to beat the addiction. It wasn't till I found Paleo that I found a major solution into beating the habit for good. I was also told at the time I was diagnosed with the sugar allergy that I had to lose a significant amt of weight otherwise I'd be facing major back surgery. So I've struggled with both for a long time. I found some shoes that helped my back, but have promised myself if I lose 20lbs that I'm picking up a pair of the Vibrams shoes, and if I lose the rest a new wardrobe is in order. Good incentives if you ask me. Just concentrate on eating healthy, and the rest will fall in into place over time.

I too have been on a journey of overcoming my sugar addiction with many a backward step along the way! A number of years ago I read some of Jordan Rubin's books and started to learn about what is really good for you and that sugar was on the no-no list! It made so much sense considering my history but it is still very hard to kick the habit. I love your idea of getting vibram's when you've lost 20lb! I really want to learn how to make moccasins for us all so the kids can have protection and still have normal foot development. I may just go for a similar thing and I reckon that a new wardrobe is unavoidable once the weight is off. There is no way I will be able to wear the clothes I have now once I have lost some of this fat! I am supposed to be on the small side of medium and am wearing at least an XXL and sometimes ( more often than not nowadays) XXXL Never dreamed I would ever be this big, sometimes I forget that I am so large and get a shock when I see myself in the mirror. I was always so active and no matter what I ate it just didn't matter much in terms of weight. But a few pregnancies later and tons of stress and still gorging myself on chocolates.... I am feeling so good today (barring a bit of a headache and a bit grumpy) compared to recently. I know I am detoxing at the moment. It helps so much to be talking to others who are doing this too. And I have told some of my friends which provides its own kind of accountability 'cos I don't want to have to tell them that I gave up or blew it again.

Sunnivara, who cares whether it is fat or retained water, it all needs to come off, celebrate every little change for the better and don't let anyone rationalize your progress and especially not you! I can already feel a little difference in my clothes and I am enjoying it even though I know I still have about 90 lbs to lose

Jamilyn121 is offline Senior Member
    Wow! Great for you for beating the addiction! I am also new and things are starting to shrink rapidly. Keep up the good work and know that we are all in this together. My big addiction was carbs and the first few days were a little hazy, but I'm on the flip side now and literally want to bounce around the house all the time. I have about 60 pounds to lose, a little more if I am really honest so I will be by you on this road to health and happiness.

It is just so awesome to be on this journey with others and not feel so alone! I am finding that I have more energy and while still very unfit I find myself getting a lot more done during the day. I am also trying to not spend too long in one place, eg. get up from the computer and do some unpacking or organising (we moved relatively recently - again ) I am so much more motivated to get moving when I know that moving slow is ok and actually good for me. I was playing with the kids the other day and started running (no warm up) and my knee is bugging me now. Realising that I have to be careful and ease my body back into activity. Have had almost a year of inactivity per my chiropracter as we've been working on my back and neck issues. But, I read through the Blueprint fitness last night and am going to do as much as I can to get moving and fitter in a healthy way.

Thanks to the Fit Flops I bought almost 3 years ago, they helped me avoid back surgery. The downside to it, it that they are only kind of shoes my back will tolerate. I finally found a pair of sneakers with a similar sole that work for me. So the Vibrams are going to be a big change for my back, and I know that it's going to needs a big adjust to adapt to it. It shouldn't be a problem with being 20 lbs lighter when I get them. I've got another 39 lbs to lose, and am taking things day to day. I heavily modified a white cake recipe this morning, using coconut oil instead of shortening, coconut flavouring instead of vanilla, gluten free flour, grape sugar instead of cane, and lastly unsweetened coconut. Made them into cupcakes for my DS9 who is Paleo part of the time. They turned out really well, and he's pleased that he's got some baked gluten free goodies for school. If I have to bake now, I use grape sugar, as you literally can't tell the difference in baked goods. I've eliminated cane sugar from the house by 80%, much to the kids dismay. Also I find that grape sugar doesn't trigger the sugar cravings. I want to walk more, providing the weather is decent. We are surrounded by shops, and places I visit on a regular basis, so am starting to make it a habit to walk instead of driving. Besides the drivers are insane here, and have grown tired of avoiding collisions all the time by careless drivers. The problem is that people in general don't realize how addictive sugar (and I mean all the sugars, but especially Cane sugar) can be. If you've grown up around it on a constant basis, such you and I have, it makes it far more difficult to break the habit.
    Last edited by greytgrokette!; 02-25-2012 at 02:11 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast