Thread: Chicken livers page

faithy22 is offline Member

Wink Chicken livers

Primal Fuel
    So...I tried liver for the first time tonight! I'm trying to expand my food palate. I bought chicken livers from the local natural foods store.

I cooked up some bacon then sauteed chopped onions in the bacon fat (along with some added butter and salt). Once the onions were done I added the chicken livers (sliced into pieces) and cooked until rare, maybe 2 min, then poured the mixture into a bowl and mixed in the bacon pieces.

It was good! I pretty much only tasted the bacon and onions, they definitely overpowered the liver. The liver melted to a paste on my tongue, interesting texture.

I think I would have really liked the dish if I didn't know that it was liver! It was hard to get past the yuck factor. I ate almost all of it (it was 1/2 lb of liver), but every bite was very difficult. Like I said, it wasn't a taste thing or even a texture thing, it was just the idea that I was eating liver! I'll definitely make it again in a couple of weeks, but a much much smaller portion. I think I need to get used to it mentally.

I'm planning on getting some heart from the farm that I buy my grass-fed beef from (they have a fantastic CSA, I love my local farms!). Heart doesn't bother me, I grew up eating soffritto and it's still muscle meat, so it has the same texture. I may need some help preparing it, though, because it's going to look like a heart, weird.

1949katie is offline Member
    I grew up eating all parts of the beast be it duck, chicken, deer, steer or fish. I loved it as a child and I still do. When it comes to chicken liver I think it's just delightful drained, rinsed, and sauteed in butter. Add a little salt and pepper. Perfect. I picked up some at Whole Foods and plan on having some for breakfast tomorrow. Be careful not to overcook. It gets dry really fast.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    These are pretty good:
    Crispy Spiced Chicken Livers | theclothesmakethegirl

Recommendation: don't skip the squeeze of lemon. For me, that's what took these from "yeah, I can eat this" to "YEAH! I can eat THIS!"

Mike in Virginia is offline Senior Member
    faithy, what you did is very similar to what I do. I also add sage, which imparts a nice additional flavor. and onalark's suggestion of adding a bit of lemon juice would make it even better.
    Live your life and love your life. It's the only one you get.

IndyMike is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by onalark View Post
    These are pretty good:
    Crispy Spiced Chicken Livers | theclothesmakethegirl

Recommendation: don't skip the squeeze of lemon. For me, that's what took these from "yeah, I can eat this" to "YEAH! I can eat THIS!"
    Looks good. Bookmarked!

Sundoll is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The way I fix chicken livers (which I love) is to cut the livers up into bite size pieces and brown them in coconut oil, sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic granules add a cut up onion and several stalks of celery cut up. Cook on low until crisp tender. Yummmy