Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maintaining weight loss page

SuBee is online now Member

Maintaining weight loss

Shop Now
    There are a few posters here who have said they needed to restrict calories to finally lose the weight they wanted to lose.

My own past experience with any weight-loss diet before this (WW, Atkins, or just eating less) is that maintenance was tricky, and when I finally regained the weight, I ended up 5 or 10 lbs heavier than before--resulting in my current stance, "I can't afford to diet anymore, I'll end up weighing too much."

I have plateaued at easily 20 lbs above my goal weight (for several months, now--been eating primal for over a year). I am considering doing some calorie counting, but am concerned about what seems to happen to my setpoint when I restrict calories. (There are any number of other things I need to fix as well--sleep, exercise, etc.--but I'm still interested in this question.)

I'm wondering what the experience of people here has been with calorie restriction--did you reach your goal? Were you able to maintain satiety on fewer calories by eating primal? Has maintenance been a challenge or relatively easy?

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    One word: cold thermogenics. Worked wonders for me. And checking my hormone-levels. Turns out high estradiol-levels were the reason I always got stuck... As I carry so much bloat!

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Just curious since you are posting in Sisson's forums...did you read the Primal Blueprint? If so, what did it say regarding this topic?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    One word: cold thermogenics.
    *whispers softly*....I think that might be two words

But I'm off to google it now!

ETA: Oh no!! Really, you sit in cold ice baths.....the horror
    Last edited by jammies; 02-23-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    *whispers softly*....I think that might be two words

But I'm off to google it now!

ETA: Oh no!! Really, you sit in cold ice baths.....the horror
    I use ice bricks in compression garment around my tummy and waist 45-50 min daily. Fat is going extremely fast!!! And you get used to the cold... Now I only do cool showers and I love 1-2 cool baths weekly. Centimeters are going and I'm looking more defined, it's only been a week! Try it.

No no! I use ice bricks over compression-garment around my waist. 45-50 min daily. Fat melts from all over and I lost 1 cm from waist in 6 days! Believe me wh

SuBee is online now Member
    Yes, I read the book : )

I don't think he discussed calorie restriction.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuBee View Post
    Calorie restriction does not cause weight loss.

BODY BY SCIENCE (VIDEO 5): THE SCIENCE OF FAT LOSS

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Boosting the number of calories you burn is important, through exercise, building muscle, thermogenics, eliminating nutrient deficiencies, resetting your leptin, getting enough sleep.

PB does have sections on estimating your 'maintenance' calories and calculating extra carbs required for exercise, if you want to count, but it encourages you not to, to eat until you are satisfied, and listen to your body.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SuBee View Post
    Yes, I read the book : )

And why do you think that is?

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by StackingPlates View Post
    And why do you think that is?
    That doesnt mean it's not necessary for some people when they get down to lower body fat %. <--- speaking from experience, I'm a strict PBer and that alone even with daily 16hr fasts and exercise (2 days lifting heavy things, sprinting once a week, walking 1hr daily) is not enough for me to lose body fat (the horror I've actually gained a few pounds). I've tried the whole cutting dairy, no nuts (I typically dont eat nuts), <50g of carb..having no effect. I think calorie restriction should be a last resort, but sometimes needed.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast