Thread: Retail beef stock made with bones? page

Cyclops is offline Junior Member

Retail beef stock made with bones?

Is all retail beef stock made using bones, or are some brands likely to use only meat for flavor? Anyone know particular brands that definitely are made with bones? The labels are generally completely uninformative.

No, I'm not interested in making my own stock at this time. Maybe someday...

Thanks.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I believe it's more likely that retail broths will be made with flavoring and msg (which they get around on the label by calling it hydrolized vegetable protein and maybe some other things.)

Making bone broth is the easiest thing in the world. After you eat dinner, throw all the leftover bones and skin and stuff into the crock pot. Add some water, salt and optional add some herbs, chopped onions and celery. 24 hours later you'll have bone broth. all you have to do is pour it through a strainer or a slotted spoon.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    after homemade no more store bought for me ever again!!
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Linny is offline Senior Member
    I imagine a lot of store bought broth is made with bones, skins, snouts, feet, etc. Stuff that most people don't buy. I know chicken stock is made with the feet, backs and heads.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Homemade is best of course, but I think the Kitchen Basics brand is a good choice if you must go store-bought. Seems to have minimal ingredients: ..:: Kitchen Basics - Original Beef ::..

Cyclops is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yodiewan, thanks for the answer. I contacted Kitchen Basics, and they did say their stock uses bones, so I'll give it a try.