Thread: Calorie Intake Guidance page

dfast is offline Member

I'm trying my best to work out how many calories I 'should' be eating, as at the moment I think I may be a little low.

I am 5'4", male, 21 years old. Used to be overweight; am somewhat 'scared' of excess calories now. I walk at least 4 miles a day and lift weights 2-3 times a week. Aside from that I am sedentary (desk job). I currently eat around 1300-1800 calories a day (probably around 1500 on most days), usually around 90-130g protein, 30-60g carbs and the rest as fat. I'm mainly concerned with my fat intake, I feel like it could be higher but I'm scared to push it too far. I currently weigh around 135lbs. That doesn't sound like much but I'm short, remember ;-).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Queen of the Jungle is offline Junior Member

If you are at an ideal weight, don't worry about the fat intake *unless* you start gaining weight or something.

If Taubes and the Dr.s Eades are correct, you can pretty much consume as much fat as you need to feel satiated with no worries about gaining weight. That is, of course, as long as your carbs are sufficiently low. Too many carbs plus too much fat will cause you to gain for sure.

I say, eat as much fat as you need/want, and keep the carbs low. In other words, if you have a normal (not screwed up, lol) metabolism, and you are at an ideal weight, then what counts is the carbs, and not the fat. Don't worry about the total calories, worry about the total carbs. Do that for a while, and then watch how your body responds.

lifewithjades is offline Senior Member

Good advice Queen!

dfast is offline Member

Thanks Queen. I will up my fats. Anybody else have anything to add?

Thanks.

verdilak is offline Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I agree with QotJ. Keeping carbs low and getting in the exercise that you do, dont worry about calories.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal