Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Candida Paranoia? page

Grokasaurus Pecs is offline Junior Member

Candida Paranoia?

Primal Fuel
    Hello from Ireland everyone! I'm currently reading Marks new book and have been scanning through these forums for awhile. I'm moving more and more primal, choosing to eschew the route of 'all in' and instead gradually cut things/add things. I've pretty much gotten rid of any processed foods with a typical days meals along the lines of
    Breakfast: Full fat greek yoghurt, blueberries, raspberries, almonds and brazil nuts
    Lunch: Tuna/Salmon/Mackerel/Sardines & a salad
    Dinner: Meat/Poultry/Eggs & Vegetables

I supplement with fish oil, digestive enzymes, magnesium, B, C, D and probiotics. May question (finally! I hear you cry) relates to all this candida stuff I'm reading about. The reason I came across it was I have had a white coating on my tongue for ages (fading a lot now), what I presume to be fungal infections of each big toe (mild, been there ages, pretty much since both toes got badly injured) and lately redness around the corners of my mouth (totally new one on me!). I'm debating what to do. I'm considering adding zinc & selenium supplements and possibly oil of oregano tablets. The thing is I see so many obsessed with this 'candida' thing (if that's what it even is), adding loads of supplements, restricting loads of foods (I don't even want to forego my morning berries!) and I'm just curious is this a necessary step. Or would getting the diet dialled in (keeping nuts & fruits & milk in my tea), adding zinc for my immune system, keeping the probiotics and adding oil of oregano have enough of an impact? Apologies for the long post!

patski is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I'm practically the Candida Queen here *groan*, and there's quite a few of us here dealing with this wretched bitch. I am happy to assist however I can

Absolutely add zinc and selenium to your diet. Kill off fruits and nuts. (Fruit = sugar, which feeds candida, and nuts may or may not be mouldy. More food for candida). NO HONEY!

DO NOT consume fermented food. They contain yeast. More food. Ditch it.

Absolutely take oil of oregano however you wish. In capsule or drops.

Olive leaf extract. Buy these supplements and take between meals.

Also, start consuming large amounts of coconut oil. The recommendation is 3-4 tablespoons a day. It's anti-fungal. I'm warning you though: as you consume coconut oil and add in olive leaf extract, you will experience candida die-off symptoms. Mine have been nausea, gas and bloating. Very unpleasant. YOU HAVE to get through this, and keep a very, VERY strict diet. Meat and veg, coconut oil, onions and garlic. Avoid sweet potatoes in the beginning, and other sweet veg, like squash. You'll be able to re-incorporate them soon enough.

I, for one, cannot consume any dairy or eggs right now. I'm convinced my candida lead to Leaky Gut Syndrome, which led to food intolerances. I'm also intolerant to gluten and wheat - no big deal there, but you have to be very careful, and read labels. Wheat, yeast and gluten is in everything!!!

Good on you for consuming digestive enzymes and probiotics. This shite ruins your digestion, so as you kill it off, your body (this just makes sense in MY head) needs help with digestion, and needs good flora coming in too.

I think that's all. Let me know if I can assist in any other way! Happy to!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Grokasaurus Pecs is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the great reply. 'Candida Queen' eh? That's a delightful name! So how long should I ditch the raspberries & blueberries for? I'm loving them for breakfast! I don't have any other fruit all day. Also what's this about things being 'mouldy'? Nuts, tea, black pepper?! I love all of those! Is this 'mouldy' thing backed up by science? How long should I be taking the OOO and olive leaf extract for? To be honest I'm not suffering at all, the red corners of my mouth and the toenails bug me but it's no big deal. Some people really seem to get a bad ride from it.

prodistat is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I think it's a load of crap. I think if you look at a lot of this foods they are high in histamines or cause histamine to be released from your cells. It causes something very similar to an allergic reaction, but it's not an allergy. It's just the standard response to histamines. Anyway, some people, like me, can't handle histamines from food sources. The most common offenders are fermented foods like: chocolate, tea, cheese, yogurt, yeast (e.g. bread), sauerkraut, muts, Kim chi, etc. There are also foods that release histamine from your mast cells, like pineapple, chicken, berries, citrus fruits, etc.

You might want to avoid the histamine foods for a while and see how you do. You can also try taking an anti-histamine like benedryl (diphenhydramine) and see if that "cures" your symptoms. If it does, then it's a histamine thing and not a vague, pseudo-science "candida" thing.
    Prodistat
    Poke it quickly, with a stick.

Glamorama is offline Senior Member
    My candida overgrowth didn't go away with primal eating alone, even after 6 months. 200 capsules of kyolic garlic taken over 6-8 weeks fixed me. I still had berries but cut alcohol and most starchy carbs while doing it.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by prodistat View Post
    Personally, I think it's a load of crap. I think if you look at a lot of this foods they are high in histamines or cause histamine to be released from your cells. It causes something very similar to an allergic reaction, but it's not an allergy. It's just the standard response to histamines. Anyway, some people, like me, can't handle histamines from food sources. The most common offenders are fermented foods like: chocolate, tea, cheese, yogurt, yeast (e.g. bread), sauerkraut, muts, Kim chi, etc. There are also foods that release histamine from your mast cells, like pineapple, chicken, berries, citrus fruits, etc.

You might want to avoid the histamine foods for a while and see how you do. You can also try taking an anti-histamine like benedryl (diphenhydramine) and see if that "cures" your symptoms. If it does, then it's a histamine thing and not a vague, pseudo-science "candida" thing.
    I've done well on low histamine like you. It's more effective than an anti-candida diet in my experience.

Still, I feel I have had a bit of both.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    My candida overgrowth didn't go away with primal eating alone, even after 6 months. 200 capsules of kyolic garlic taken over 6-8 weeks fixed me. I still had berries but cut alcohol and most starchy carbs while doing it.
    Why did you eat berries but cut starchy carbs? Did you not know that candida feeds on fructose? The first thing to give up is fruit.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Vkiernan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Glamorama View Post
    Glam, how were you taking the Kyolic? when, with food/without, etc. Just got some and wanting to add that to my Caprystatin (caprylic acid). thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    Why did you eat berries but cut starchy carbs? Did you not know that candida feeds on fructose? The first thing to give up is fruit.
    I didn't know so I didn't cut it out. I just didn't touch high-fructose stuff like bananas, mango, melons and oranges. Either way, it worked. Candida is gone.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Vkiernan View Post
    Glam, how were you taking the Kyolic? when, with food/without, etc. Just got some and wanting to add that to my Caprystatin (caprylic acid). thanks.
    I started with one caps after breakfast, then introduced one after lunch, then 2 after breakfast, followed by 2 after lunch. Took maybe 2-3 weeks. Then I did 4 daily till the box was empty.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast