Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Starch necessary for optimal health? page

kevingeary is offline Senior Member

Starch necessary for optimal health?

Shop Now
    Have any reasons for or against this statement? A lot of paleo people lately have been telling me that starch is just an absolutely necessary ingredient in a healthy diet.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    For me, yes. I like to be fit and active for optimal health. I couldn't achieve this without starch.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Bettie is offline Senior Member
    same for me, i just feel better and have more energy if i eat root vegetables, sweet potatoes or even a bit of rice... but i always need lots of fat with them.

7/14: 156 lbs.
    weight in's:

7/17: 153.5 lbs.
    7/18: 152.5 lbs.

goalweight: 130 lbs.

Nivanthe is offline Senior Member
    I looove my sweet potatoes, but I'm cutting them out for a bit to see if it improves my results, as I seem to be gaining since eating one every day. Negative changes both on the scale and the way my pants fit (or don't fit, that is).

Not much working out at the moment, but it has been my only source of carbs, so I'll be rotating in some greens instead.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There are no essential nutrients in starchy foods that cannot be found elsewhere. That doesn't preclude starchy foods having other benefits for your health.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    I think it is all about your activity levels - adjust as necessary. There are better sources of nutrition so can you do without them yes, but it depends on your your needs. I am close to my weight goals so trying to up my carb intake closer to 150g which means I need to add sweet potatoes because I will not get there eating veg alone. Having said that I did a two hour walk with 30lbs on my back then climbed for 2 hours in the evening with no starch in me at all just my reg primal diet.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    For me, yes. I like to be fit and active for optimal health. I couldn't achieve this without starch.
    But what would you say is your carb count per day?

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    People keep forgetting that for example apples (the flesh) is starch, too.
    The digestion that begins in the mouth via saliva starts with an enzyme that breaks down starches.
    I believe starches, may it be a sweet potato or the flesh of an apple, are needed for optimal health.

Personally, I don't do potatoes....my starches come from apples, occassional banana and squash/pumpkin/heirloom types.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevingeary View Post
    But what would you say is your carb count per day?
    I'm not strictly counting. I'm eating 150-180 g carb most days, from white rice, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and lower carb vegetables mostly. The occasional white potato. I'm averaging approx 2500 calories a day.

I eat low sugar, low fructose, apart from a bit of honey or very dark choc now and again.
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 02-23-2012 at 08:46 AM. Reason: typo
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I'm not strictly counting. I'm eating 150-180 g carb most days, from white rice, sweet potatoes, butternut squash and lower carb vegetables mostly. The occasional white potato. I'm averaging approx 2500 calories a day.

I eat low sugar, low fructose, apart from a bit of honey or very dark choc now and again.
    And you don't feel that will eventually lead to any insulin resistance? Not challenging you, just asking...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast