Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BPA, Thai Kitchen coconut milk page

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member

BPA, Thai Kitchen coconut milk

Just heard back from them, thought I'd check in before I went and ordered some new, non-BPA coconut milk online. I prefer theirs--was hoping they upgraded. From customer service rep:

We are glad you enjoy using our Thai Kitchen Premium Coconut Milk. Simply Asia Foods LLC does not use Bisphenol A (BPA) in any of our spice or extract bottles, or foil type pouches. Although BPA is a component of the lacquer used to line the tin containers of our Thai Kitchen Coconut Milk cans, we are investigating options with our can supplier to eliminate BPA from the current coating.

Bisphenol A (BPA) is a chemical used in the production of certain plastics and resins, which is approved by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for food contact. Some examples of the products are polycarbonate, a clear, rigid, light-weight plastic used for beverage bottles and protective epoxy coatings that line the inside of food and drink cans. These protective coatings help maintain the safety and quality of canned foods, by preventing the contents from reacting with the metal that forms the can.

All of the containers Simply Asia Foods uses for products comply with the standards for food contact packaging. We are committed to maintaining the safety of our products. We will forward your comments to our Marketing Department.
    Started Whole30 December 31, 2011
    Integrated Leptin Reset/Jack Kruse plan Jan 13, 2012
    Starting Weight: 174.8
    CW:160.0 lbs

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I also prefer Thai Kitchen to other brands I've tried. It's the thickest and creamiest I've found.

I also found this article about BPA: "Majestically Scientific" Federal Study On BPA Has Stunning Findings: So Why Is The Media Ignoring It? - Forbes

It has helped me worry less about it. Also, Chris Kresser posted a while back about how plastic has many other chemicals that might act as xenoestrogens, so worrying about BPA while still using plastic for food storage is probably irrational.

Ideally we'd all eat perfectly raised/grown food and not have to worry about any chemicals, but we have to draw the line somewhere, I think. Although I'm all for a "back to the land/self-sustainable lifestyle", it's just not in the cards for most people who live in the modern world and work a 9 - 5.

L8F
    Interesting. I guess I will try to stick with coconut oil in glass...and whole coconuts when feeling ambitious

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Did you not read that article? BPA concerns waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay over-inflated.

But then again, Paleo/Primal has an inordinate appeal to Luddites by its very nomenclature alone.

L8F
    Am not sold that it is good for us either. Was not saying above in response to article. I eat a LOT of coconut milk, and probably best to just go oil and whole fruit anyway--for me.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I think Thai Kitchen's coconut milk is still my favourite. I've tried a bunch, including Native Forest, and I find it lacking in flavour.

I just found coconut spread, aka coconut butter, or coconut cream concentrate. OMG THIS STUFF IS CRACK IN A JAR! Another tool in my arsenal to destroy candida! Man, is it tasty!!!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

L8F
    Is it thai kitchen also? Agree that I don't like the others so much. I think it was native forest that had a grainy feel, but can't remember.

No, it's not. It's....

*runs to check*

Wilderness Family Naturals.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

L8F
    thx! I have used Nutiva, and everyone other than me seems to love the stuff...I thought it was *ok*

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I like Nutiva's coconut oil. Prices are fairly good in Canada too.

But this spread is unreal! UNREAL!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast