Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Barefoot/minimalist running beginner tips page 3

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Just wanted to mention that the latest issue of Running Times magazine has an article on preparing to go minimal. It shows 4 tests to assess the level of strength/flexibility that a person should have before going real minimal (so as not to get injured) and gives info on how to strengthen/stretch if your assessment shows you may not be ready yet. One of the most useful articles I've seen yet--they bypass the propaganda and focus on function. Might be worth checking out for anyone headed this direction.

Edited to add: Just got an email from the Runblogger site that you may also find interesting. http://www.runblogger.com/2012/03/un...8Runblogger%29
    Last edited by honeypig; 03-09-2012 at 02:46 AM.

bhooray is offline Junior Member
    Hello All,

Sorry for jumping in as I usually just read the threads and don't comment much. I have some knowledge so I hope it helps
    I have over a year of experience running in minimalist shoes, including a marathon.

If you are serious about going minimalist or barefoot I highly recommend visiting this website: Two Rivers Treads. It has many topics and will give you a true understanding of the mechanics behind barefoot or minimalist running.

I have met Dr Mark C. many times and he is one of the most down to earth guys I know. He taught me how to slowly transition to minimal running without causing injury. The most important thing to remember is transition slowy!! Most people dont and jump right into running 3+ miles in shoes they aren't used to, only to get injured within a few weeks and wonder why. Most people, like myself, are heal strikers so when making the swicth to minimalist or barefoot running you will have to reprogram your running gait to prevent injury.

hope this helps!

kimsaria is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarefootPuffin View Post
    Morning fellow grokstars,

I thought I'd share a post that I've recently written over at my blog about beginning barefoot running. With spring right around the corner, depending on your geographic location, and the advocation by mark to wear/use minimalist shoes and run barefoot, I thought I'd provide my opinion on the matter.

I've been running barefoot and occasionally minimalist for over a year now and I've learned a few things in regards to the transition. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks for the time,
    Aaron/Puff
    Great post. Thanks for writing it. I live on a gravel road and have been wondering about running barefoot on it... and if it were something I could 'learn' how to do.

I just found your post after trying to walk on gravel yesterday. Man did that hurt! I was doing the toe walking thing, of course, only an idiot would drop a heel first on gravel. But at the end, I looked like an idiot trying to fly with my arms doing a kind of flapping in the air every time I took a step, as though parts of my body being at a higher elevation might make me lighter. lol

I'll keep trying but really wonder if this is ever going to happen for me. I will go flap some more today. ;D

Also, has anyone seen anything about arch recovery occurring? I'd be interested.

Kind regards,
    Kim

kimsaria is offline Junior Member
    A few weeks in. Running 2k solid with minimal calf discomfort at the end and NO knee pain anymore from running. That's very nice. I only do it 2 or 3 times per week so it's not like I run a whole lot... but definitely know that my calves were/are still.... no where near as strong as they should be if used appropriately on a daily basis, rather than being tied into 'foot corsets'. ;D

Here's my story for anyone else interested in just getting started:
    The Sensitive Canadian: Barefoot: Can Fallen Arches Be Rehabilitated?

ASmallOne is offline Senior Member
    I was actually a wear tester for the original Nike Free WAY BACK in the day. I remember that the shoe was first promoted as something to wear outside of running, and wearing trainers during running. Gradually, we started wearing it for grass workouts or track sprints, and eventually for longer and longer runs, on the roads, etc. This evolution of the minimal shoe, I think, parallels a good way to make the switch from trainers to minimalist shoes. Start of wearing it outside of running, then on a forgiving surface or for short intervals, and gradually work it into your training. Going straight to minimal from a supportive trainer has the potential tobe problematic if for no reason other than you are drastically changing the amount of support your foot is getting.

I'm still a free loyalist, by the way, but I've got a pair of vibrams that I'm learning to wear. I do like them a lot. KSO's.
    Check out my new webpage: The Carnivore Runner
    Friend me on "The Facebook"
    Follow me on Twitter!

For customized training / nutritional plans for runners from a former athlete who has personal experience in dealing with severe food allergies, please email me at foxATtinybikeDOTnet. I am ISA certified as a personal trainer and have coached many runners at the recreational or young-competitor level to towards their goals! Most of all, I'd love to help you with yours.

Jeanne95 is offline Junior Member
    I've been running barefoot and occasionally minimalist for over a year now and I've learned a few things in regards to the transition.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123