Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravyboat's Log, Stardate 59575.1 page 81

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    198 today. Yay. Scratched my eye in my sleep so now it won't stop watering. Boo.
    Isn't life like that a lot? Big WIN and then just a little kick in the butt to keep us humble or something...

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Yay for 198! Boo for eye.

*gives eye the stinkeye*

Wait, does that even make sense?
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member

The more you know~~~*

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

So, good news: Octavia apparently loves beef baby food. It's just water and beef puree, and food stamps cover it, and she eats it right up. I got her to eat almost 2 oz of it after she refused to eat beef chunks for breakfast.

This greatly relieves me, because I have such a hard time getting her to eat ANYTHING. She barely ate dry food even when I was free-feeding. I almost never saw her actually eat, and she never ate much. I was thinking that when I started doing actual meals, she would eat more, but if anything she's eating less. I seriously need to take her to the vet.. She does act hungry, and has been waking me up insistently (understatement) since I switched them from free-feeding. This morning she didn't even wait for the sun to rise before she started purring right in my face.... Genevieve has a big appetite and she doesn't even wake me up, but Octavia (who won't eat) does. But then I go get them food and I warm it up, and I put it in front of them, and Octavia looks at me like "What the hell is this?" and walks away.

I can cajole Beeps into eating meat if I put dry food in it, and now she's actually eating around the dry and going right for the meat, which is awesome. But Octavia just walks away and I have to repeatedly call her back. I KNOW she's hungry, but she won't eat! So it's nice to discover something she actually will eat. I haven't tried sneaking any chunks into the puree yet, but that's the next step. I also got some chicken baby food, which I suspect she will also like.

I'm kind of wondering if she might have dental problems that make her not want to chew. Because her favorite foods are peanut butter, egg yolk, and now baby food. None of these things require chewing. That would not explain her chronic indigestion, though.

Again, I need to take her to the vet. I found one nearby that apparently is cheap and I think does discounts for low-income folks like myself. But apparently they don't do appointments, so you just show up and take a number, and the wait tends to be over an hour.. That would be totally fine if it were just me, but it won't be, because I don't drive. So I am going to have to somehow talk my only local friend, who is extremely busy, into sitting in a vet waiting room for over an hour. She's not going to be happy, and I'm going to feel guilty, and ughhh. People with middle-class incomes who have cars have it so fucking good they don't even know.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 09-22-2012 at 09:17 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Good news on the puree!

If your cat has some rotten teeth, they might not chew their food, thus indigestion. I realize cats don't need to chew that much, but crunching it up probably helps them a bit. Does she have bad breath or drool?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

She does have bad breath, but it doesn't smell like "infection smell" to me. She doesn't drool unless she's REALLY happy.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Hmm... I think that stinkeye my have colloquial roots in the south, particularly the poor south (Tennessee Area?).

I know that it's a phrase that I have been familiar with as long as I can remember, and particularly remember some instances of people using it when I was a pretty small kid.
    Since Bloodorchid is from the same area as I am I wonder is she has the same experience... now I have to ask.

Of course the lexicographers wouldn't really be able to trace it back that way since they look for it in print.
    It also makes me wonder if the athletes that were originally being quoted as using it were southern?
    Or if it's just a more general wider misuse/appropriation of the old-school "evil eye" like my husbands Sicilian grandmother would have made the had gesture at people for (mano cornuto- to ward off bad luck or evil eye).

Though it seemed to me that when sh aimed this gesture at people she was giving them a bit of the stinkeye herself. LOL
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Oh, PS: 197 today.

And, it's a carb-up day because I've been visually blacking out when standing again, and carb days help with that. I've been eating less than 10g carbs per day lately, and I haven't done a carb day for 3 weeks, so it's time. It means I'm going to bloat for a few days, but I can deal with that.

I'm baking a gluten-free apple cinnamon loaf right now and eating bananas. Might go get some fries or chips later. Or some rice krispies or something. It's weird to think I can no longer eat most cereal because most of it has gluten. Not like I love cereal, but it's just weird to consider that I will never again be able to eat it.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    To me carb-ups don't even sound that great anymore. Unless you count full fat/real sugar ice cream. LOL

I don't normally eat VLC purposefully, but it happens sometimes as my choices of carbs are restricted because of other dietary necessities (LowOx issues). And then I get tired... and when it's time to add some carbs.. I'm all blah... it sounds better than it tastes.

And then there is the bloat, and I hate that.
    Last week I ate rice a few days. Not even big portions... for the carbs. And I felt bloaty all week from it.
    Bloaty from white rice?
    Ugh...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

I do purposely eat VLC because it's the only way I lose weight. But eventually I always start to black out when standing, whether from not eating enough because I'm just not hungry, or because not enough sugar. I dunno. But carb-ups help, so I do them.

I normally save carb-ups for days when I'm going out for food with someone and want to be able to eat freely from the menu. But that hasn't happened in a while, so I'm taking matters into my own hands.

I'm with you, though. It's not especially satisfying. Maybe it would be if I could gorge on maple glaze doughnuts (YESSSSS) and cake and ice cream (YESSSSSS), but I have to avoid wheat (and, to some extent, dairy) like the plague, so it severely limits my options. There are some good things, but it takes some thinking to avoid wheat/dairy. Split pea soup with ham, enchiladas with rice and beans, chili cheese fries, frozen yogurt, loaded potato skins, baked apples with caramel... etc.

But unless I'm eating out (which I currently cannot afford to do), I pretty much just keep it simple: bananas, juice, potatoes of some sort. Because I always cook enough to feed an army, and it seems pointless to buy ingredients for stuff I can only eat for one day, then I have to throw out any leftovers. Maybe I should just freeze leftovers. But I dunno, it seems too tempting for days I don't feel like cooking. Better to keep the contraband out of the house.

Page 81 of 93 FirstFirst ... 3171798081828391 ... LastLast