Page 74 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravyboat's Log, Stardate 59575.1 page 74

MrsJenx is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Gravy - I was reading your post about your meeting with your dad, and trying to conjure up ways to encourage you, pick you up, tell him to f-off... then I read Crabbcakes response. Crabbcakes - you are the best! All I can do now is echo the sentiment - we all want to have supportive families, and unfortunately, we don't get to pick our parents! They didn't get to be parents because they would be good at it- the only thing you have to be good at is putting egg and sperm together. So for those of us unfortunate enough to be born to less than ideal parents, we find our family elsewhere. It doesn't make it hurt any less but the situation isn't hopeless.
    I'm so glad choir went well for you! I think I mentioned before, I'm looking into joining the Medina community choir but the first rehearsal of the season isn't until after Labor Day. I'm also searching out a book club that isn't reading 50 shades of gray.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    So glad the chorus was fun. Some people are blessed with perfect pitch, the ability to look at a note and sing it. I am not, but I find that the more I sing while looking at musical notation the better I get. You will get more confident as time goes by.
    Sorry about the parent issues. That is seriously tough. Especially when you could use real support from them.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Practice will help a lot! Also, one of our choir members puts some of our music into a program that will play the notes for each part and then posts it on our website. You could maybe use something like that as a learning tool. I am one of those people who reads music very well and can sight sing, but I learned to read music in early childhood. It's like learning any language; you become more fluent the more you use it.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm sick. Woke up congested with an irritated throat, and that shit's only gotten progressively more sore and raw throughout the day. Guzzling water/warm lemon tea/hot pickle juice like my life depends on it. Trying to eat a lot also.

This sucks, yo. Normally it wouldn't be so bad, but I have choir on sunday.

I can still speak (for now), but it hurts to swallow. Also, I'm STILL BLOATED. Been hanging around ~211lbs. WTF!!
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 08-24-2012 at 01:58 AM.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

badgergirl is online now Senior Member
    Oh noes I hope you get lots of rest and feel better soon.
    My journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60211.html Into RPG table top games? Check out FateStorm and (in development) Vanguard! 3D printed miniatures for sci-fi RPGs.

So yeah, it's a full-blown head cold. Wonderful. THIS COULDN'T HAVE HAPPENED A MONTH AGO?? Just emailed the choir lady to ask what I should do (I'm assuming I will need to stay home so I don't make anyone else sick).

NOT HAPPY.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Boo for sickness. I hope you feel better soon.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    Well, I'm sick. Woke up congested with an irritated throat
    Blech, Gravy. Hope you feel better, like, in the next hour, but here is what I do for the kids (in the meantime): they gargle with grapefruit seed extract (a few drops in a small amount of water) and then put a Thayer's Slippery Elm tablet in the cheek pocket and let it dissolve on its own. Slippery elm tabs come in regular or wild cherry flavor, and we prefer wild cherry (natural flavoring and gentle). The slippery elm isn't slimy, but it does put a light, soothing coating on the throat tissues. Just in case you didn't know this stuff.

Otherwise, we do the made-from-fresh-lemons lemonade, too. I friggin' hate sore throats - I had so many of the damn things in my early adult years, all treated by antibiotics, that I worked myself into a several-forms-of-penicillin intolerance and then found out by a better doc that my tonsils were rotten to the core and I needed a tonsillectromy at 23. The story has a good end, tho - throat's been very good ever since.

Here's sending good vibes your way... (zing, zing, zing!)

I've been drinking a lot of warm water with lemon juice. (I have tons of lemon juice in my fridge since I use it on my hair and now I don't have any hair. So it's good to have a way to use it up.) And trying to eat as varied a diet as possible based on the things in my fridge right now.

Lately that has meant: shepherd's pie meat (ground sirloin, carrots, celery, onion, garlic, ketchup, worcestershire, vinegar, spices), cashew butter + apple butter, bacon + eggs, cream cheese pancakes, and pizza lumps. Not maybe the most nutritious diet, but the best I can do right now without leaving the house and infecting everyone I see.

Tomorrow I'm making chicken broth with some chicken ribs I had frozen in my freezer. Looking forward to sipping hot salty broth all day.

I also started taking my B-complex vitamin pills again that have like 80 trillion % daily value everything, including 500mg Vitamin C per pill (I'm taking 2 pills per day), and now my pee is bright yellow again.. So that's cool. At least that means it's working.

My head still feels packed up, and I'm coughing occasionally. Very runny nose. Generally achy. Tonsils feel like tennis balls. My voice is crap right now and I'm trying very hard to rest it. I say "trying" because apparently I have a strong tendency to just randomly break into song throughout the day without even really being consciously aware of it. Trying to put the breaks on that for now, but sometimes it takes me a little while to realize I'm doing it again. Fortunately, the hoarse, crackly warbling is also a pretty good reminder.

Think I'm gonna go take a mucinex and zone out in the shower for a while.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 08-24-2012 at 08:50 PM.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hope you are feeling better today.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Page 74 of 93 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast