Page 64 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravyboat's Log, Stardate 59575.1 page 64

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Why do you want to be masculine? Is that a synonym for strong to you?
    Kind of? Not really? I don't know? It's important to distinguish "masculinity" from "like a man", I think. I don't think men are necessary strong. I think a lot of women are stronger. I really think people are just people; some are strong and some are weak, and it doesn't have much to do with what genitals you have.

That said, when I personally think of "masculinity", I think of traits such as: terse, resilient, dutiful, hard-working, physically capable, earthy (like, callused hands stained with dirt/oil from a long day's work), the "strong, silent type", etc. Basically think of the best traits of male manual laborers. Think of male camaraderie. Think of quiet, understated, yet unbreakably-strong masculine affection, and everything that can be said with a nod and a pat on the shoulder.

That is stuff I identify with.

Then there are "feminine" qualities, like: being nurturing, caring, understanding, graciously enduring hardships imposed on you by others, trying hard to make others happy, social, makes friends easily, talkative, has domain over the home and family, gentle, small, pretty, delicate, etc.

That is stuff I don't really identify with. And when I have tried to be that sort of person, I have felt like a total imposter.

Anyone can be either of those things or a mix of the two, no matter your sex. Of course, it's socially celebrated to be the one that corresponds with your sex. Which is why I have spent so many years trying to stuff myself into the feminine box, even though I feel like I don't belong there at all.

I am also into history, and basically if you were a woman back in the day, you were at home doing housework and raising children. I don't see myself in that at all. If I lived in the past, I would have wanted to do "manly" things, like be a blacksmith or a lumberjack, or train for armed combat. And I am into historical clothing, so if I was looking to dress up for the ren fest or something, I would be looking at mens clothing, basically, because that's the clothing that corresponds to what I am most interested in.

The masculine clothing I am looking forward to getting when I have reached my weight goal is also historical, "classic"-type stuff, because I like historical clothing. I want to do something called dapper style. Lots of tweed blazers and sweater vests and well-tailored pants, and a lot of interesting color combinations, which is my absolute favorite. I love playing with colors and textures, which is why I have been able to find joy in feminine clothing for so long. I am not a jeans-and-tshirt kind of person and never have been, and when I had short hair in the past, I was pretty much limited to that because of my size and because I had no money for anything nice. So it sucked and I hated it. I felt ugly partly because I had zero creative outlet in my clothing. So that is something I want to do different this time.

Why not be strong and feminine and badass?
    Because I'm not happy being feminine, and I see "feminine strength" as kind of a joke, honestly. Blame it on my being a crusty old rad-fem, but I believe femininity was created for women to make them weak. Particularly the physical aspects of femininity (small, thin, no visible muscles, delicate clothing that you can't run in, toxic makeup in which you can't touch your face without smudging things, etc). Setting aside the fact that most "feminine" things are done in order to "please your man"... Why would I want to do things that make me actually weaker? Why would I want to have to worry about that crap? For social approval, and that's about it. And I've decided that that's not a good enough reason anymore.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    Because I'm not happy being feminine, and I see "feminine strength" as kind of a joke, honestly. Blame it on my being a crusty old rad-fem, but I believe femininity was created for women to make them weak. Particularly the physical aspects of femininity (small, thin, no visible muscles, delicate clothing that you can't run in, toxic makeup in which you can't touch your face without smudging things, etc). Setting aside the fact that most "feminine" things are done in order to "please your man"... Why would I want to do things that make me actually weaker?
    So you don't see Michelle Jenneke as being sexy or feminine? She's not small, thin, no visible muscles, makeup etc.

At the end of the day the LGN factor is more important than accessorising the right clothes IMHO. I think that being physically capable and having muscles is quite an attractive trait in a woman.
    Why would I want to have to worry about that crap? For social approval, and that's about it. And I've decided that that's not a good enough reason anymore.
    I agree with you about that. You should do things that make you like yourself.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    The masculine clothing I am looking forward to getting when I have reached my weight goal is also historical, "classic"-type stuff, because I like historical clothing. I want to do something called dapper style. Lots of tweed blazers and sweater vests and well-tailored pants, and a lot of interesting color combinations, which is my absolute favorite. .
    In the midst of a serious topic, all I have to add is unf, work that look, it's the hotness.

So you don't see Michelle Jenneke as being sexy or feminine? She's not small, thin, no visible muscles, makeup etc.
    There are pages and pages of dudes drooling over her for being super hot, and she's smiling real pretty and wiggling her hips around in skimpy clothes like a fucking stripper. How do you think I'd categorize that? Masculine?

It's obviously not a rigid, exhaustive list of traits. Although I would argue that she is pretty small and thin.

I just tried to think of the opposite of what you listed as what was wrong with being feminine, and she sprang to mind. I agree that the overreaction to her 'wiggling' is a little silly. I only was aware of her because of a gif that Saiorse posted in another thread.

It seems like you think that the woman is subjugated in most relationships.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    In the midst of a serious topic, all I have to add is unf, work that look, it's the hotness.
    I hope I am able to. I'm amassing a collection of pictures of women who pull it off real well, and hopefully I can be one of them. It'll help a lot when my hips/chest are smaller.

I hope I am able to. I'm amassing a collection of pictures of women who pull it off real well, and hopefully I can be one of them. It'll help a lot when my hips/chest are smaller.
    I'm of the opinion that fashion can be made to fit anyone; clothes can be altered or made to flatter any figure, it's just knowing what suits your shape. When I was fat n' sassy (as opposed to not-quite-so-fat n' sour, currently), I fully took advantage of things that flattered my body, even though I wasn't 100% in love with my appearance. I could totally picture you now is some dapper apparel . . . and possibly a fedora (but maybe that's because I can't pull them off).

. . .
    It's kind of funny that you use an athlete as your example given that a huge issue, imo, with women in athletics is the commodification and sexualization of their bodies. In order to avoid being viewed as a dyke, hyper-feminization occurs, which she so clearly demonstrates. She's wearing very little, is wearing make-up and has a manicure, wears a little bowtie in her hair (which is long), and what the shit is up with that dance? None of this enhances her performance (beyond possibly on a psychological level). And in the range of body types that exist in athletics, she's on the small size. Using this chicka SAMANTHA WRIGHT - YouTube would make a better case, but it's all kind of silly.

Quote Originally Posted by unsuperb View Post
    . . .
    It's kind of funny that you use an athlete as your example given that a huge issue, imo, with women in athletics is the commodification and sexualization of their bodies. In order to avoid being viewed as a dyke, hyper-feminization occurs, which she so clearly demonstrates. She's wearing very little, is wearing make-up and has a manicure, wears a little bowtie in her hair (which is long), and what the shit is up with that dance? None of this enhances her performance (beyond possibly on a psychological level). And in the range of body types that exist in athletics, she's on the small size. Using this chicka SAMANTHA WRIGHT - YouTube would make a better case, but it's all kind of silly.
    Word.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So you're wanting to feel attractive, but not in a way a man would like. Yes?

Page 64 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast