Page 62 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravyboat's Log, Stardate 59575.1 page 62

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    I did break my rule yesterday and bought some styling putty, though. Dimethicone and parabens as far as the eye can see.. I tried to find the one with the most natural ingredients, but yech. I looked up how to make your own hairgel, though, and it just didn't seem like there was a very easy/effective/economical option, so I bit the bullet and bought the 50-ingredient "natural botanicals" crap.

I did find out that the CVS near me carries sticks of 100% cocoa butter, though, so that's cool.
    I have super-sensitive scalp skin, and cannot tolerate a single one of the hair goops out there. What I ended up doing is resorting to using face creams and hand balms. I started out using hubby's Cosmetic Lad face cream from Lush because it said right there on the pot that some folks use it as a hair goop. It worked for me for a long time - but I only use stuff to give my mane a smoother look. The individual strands of my gray hair are super thick and stick straight and add that to the cowlicks, I am in need of any trick to get the hair to look even halfway polished that doesn't make me bleed, zitty, peely, intensely itchy or whatnot on the noggin.

When the Cosmetic Lad seemed not to work as well anymore, I switched to Burt's Bees Hand Salve. It only takes a bit no bigger than my pinkie nail, which is how I dose it to not look too greasy. I am now in the process of trying xv-coconut oil from Barleans just because I have it in the house and I have been reading from all the coco-heads on this forum what they all use coconut oil for and it came up.

You will find lots of really clean-ingredient hand balms at Whole Foods, Earth Fare, the Mustard Seed, etc. Might be an idea for you.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    When the Cosmetic Lad seemed not to work as well anymore, I switched to Burt's Bees Hand Salve. It only takes a bit no bigger than my pinkie nail, which is how I dose it to not look too greasy. I am now in the process of trying xv-coconut oil from Barleans just because I have it in the house and I have been reading from all the coco-heads on this forum what they all use coconut oil for and it came up.

You will find lots of really clean-ingredient hand balms at Whole Foods, Earth Fare, the Mustard Seed, etc. Might be an idea for you.
    Ahhhh! I was looking right at the Burt's Bees stuff trying to find a hair goop, and I was wondering if the hand salve would work. I shoulda gone for it! Next time. I really just wanted something for going out today and on saturday. Both are going to be stressful, because today is the dentist and on saturday I am meeting my dad's new girlfriend and her 11 year-old daughter. Also my dad doesn't know I cut my hair. I thought about emailing him, but it'll be more fun to surprise him. And I want to look decent for that.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Well, I went to the dentist. No cavities! They took xrays and everything was fine. I just got a cleaning, and the lady said it wasn't even that bad. She said that for not being to the dentist for 5 years, I had impressively clean teeth, and that compared to most of the other people she'd seen this week, working on my teeth was a walk in the park. She kept assuring me that my teeth really weren't as bad as I thought. I'll take it!

Everyone there was super super nice. I was all scared, expecting to be yelled at like I was 5 years ago for not brushing and flossing often enough. When I told them that, they all laughed, and the receptionist said "Well that's not helpful if they yell at you! I wouldn't blame you for not wanting to go back!"

I'm scheduled to go back in 6 months. While I wouldn't say I'm looking forward to it, I'm not dreading it either. I seriously don't think I could have asked for a better dentist experience. And that's saying something, because going to the dentist sucks.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 08-02-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I love love love the new hair. Super cute, really brings out your eyes, and likely to attract fewer creepers and more ladies. All around win.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I love love love the new hair. Super cute, really brings out your eyes, and likely to attract fewer creepers and more ladies. All around win.
    Yay I'm happy you like it.

Ok, the last few days I have felt pretty run down, especially yesterday after lugging more than 20lbs of groceries home 2 miles. I had to stop at least 6 times to put my bags down. I've also gone back up to 209-210 again. So I decided to do my carb-up early and slammed down 2 bananas as soon as I got home yesterday. Weight when I woke up: 210. Ate another 2 bananas this morning after that.

I am super fucking squishy today, which I believe is because of the carbs. Going to continue my carb-up today with some fries (as planned) and some kettle chips and maybe rice crispies. I also got some gluten-free cinnamon apple muffin mix at the store yesterday but it's 90 degrees today and I don't feel like baking. I'll use them next time. Anyway, the carb-up will go through today and then saturday will be back to normal.

I wanted to do it early partially because I was already super worn out, my weight loss had already stalled, and I feared having an excuse to shove funnel cakes into my mouth at the ren fest. Yes, I know they would hurt my stomach and probably give me an allergic reaction, but they are funnel cakes and they are hard to resist. So I did not want to do the carb-up that day. All I can hope for now is that my stomach doesn't hurt really bad tomorrow and I'm not SUPER SUPER bloated. Though some bloat would be okay because my jeans are all too baggy again.. I need to run them through the dryer tonight.

Speaking of, it feels good that the skinny jeans I bought earlier this year and couldn't even zip when I got them are now baggy. On the other hand, baggy skinny jeans look so bad. Just means I need new ones, I guess. Maybe 14s this time!

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    I have only had funnel cakes one time, and I got to make them. It was fun, and they are more enjoyable than your standard fried dough. That name now gives me the heeby-jeebies though.

Boyfriend does not understand my dislike for ill-fitting clothes. It's not just that I look sloppy, it makes me feel sloppy!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Okay, I went out for fries and had some apple juice as well. When the lady asked me what I wanted to drink, I actually blanked, because I always just order water, but right now I'm supposed to be consuming sugar. I almost went with soda just because I never have it anymore, but decided I really didn't want it, and apple juice is (theoretically) less processed and full of chemicals and bullshit.

The waitresses were really nasty. I don't know if it was solely directed at me, or maybe they just aren't nice people, or maybe they hate their jobs. But I'd say thank you and smile and they would just glare at me and then turn away. Or I'd be saying something and they'd turn and respond to a coworker. Seriously?

I left a $3 tip on a $4.50 order. Hopefully they will be nicer to the people after me.. But seriously? Next time I'm just getting fast food fries. Fuck it.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Boyfriend does not understand my dislike for ill-fitting clothes. It's not just that I look sloppy, it makes me feel sloppy!
    Exactly. And, frankly, I am (and always have been) proud of my figure, and I want to wear clothes that accentuate it, not cover it up and work against it. Someone might have the hottest body ever, but if they are wearing baggy, ill-fitting clothing, they're still going to look like crap. And, personally, looking like crap makes me feel like crap. Looking like a million bucks makes me feel like a million bucks.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Hurray for the excellent dental check up and baggy clothes!

PS Love the hair. Makes me want to do it too, but my husband would be sad.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Whoops, I haven't posted in a while.

So I had my carb-up day last Friday, then didn't eat anything from about 3pm Friday to about 3pm Saturday, but I really wasn't hungry at all. I was also up all night on Friday because I couldn't sleep. Ate pretty well on Saturday. Had 1 kielbasa link with onions and peppers at the ren fest, then ate a bunless Double Sasquatch at Buckeye Beer Engine. (It's a full pound of beef with swiss, bbq sauce, ketchup, and one large onion ring, served on lettuce, with a pickle. It also comes with fries, but I don't eat them.)

I actually felt fine after the carb-up. Lots of energy, my stomach didn't hurt at all, and I wasn't hungry. That's pretty much the opposite of what I was expecting.

But, since the carb-up, I have been SO BLOATED. My entire body is made of squish. Places that were once firm are now squish. I don't like it. For a few days after the carb-up, I was back up to around 211, which was aggravating me. Today I'm at 209 and still extremely squishy. I was briefly at 207 a while back, so I'm waiting to get back down there again.

On the plus side, since the carb-up, I haven't been dizzy. Before, I was getting light-headed and my vision was blacking out when I would stand, which is part of why I decided it was time for the carbs. Since then, I've felt fine with no problems.

My appetite has been slightly higher, also. So that's good.

The final count on the carb-up was: 4 bananas, a full plate of unsalted fries (with the skins), 1 Tbsp honey, 1 Tbsp ketchup, and ~8 oz apple juice. Which is something like 200-250g carbs and 30g fat. I think next time I will try and eat some kind of lean protein and go with fewer carbs. I think I'll do those apple-cinnamon gluten-free scones (made with apple sauce instead of oil), 1-2 bananas, and maybe a small bag of kettle chips if I can find the honey dijon ones I like. Other options include rice krispies with sweetened almond milk, fat-free frozen yogurt, and rice and beans.

Anyway, I haven't been doing much lately. Still doing shovelglove on weekdays, showering every day, brushing and flossing every day, cleaning the cat box every day. Just started taping my piercings yesterday because I cannot seem to get 6 gauge earrings in and these 8s have been in for months. Really want to buy new clothes, but I've decided to suffer with baggy stuff and save up for final-goal clothes instead. Started compiling a list of the clothing items I will want when I get to the end, and it's a lot longer than I thought. It will probably be pretty expensive to get everything I want, so it's probably better to save up now rather than piss away my money on stuff I'll only wear for a month or two at most. I can wear baggy stuff. Whatever.

It sucks that skinny jeans turn into mom jeans when they get too big, though. For that reason (and others), I think I am going to switch to guys jeans for now (the next time I buy pants, anyway). Because they still look fine when they get baggy.

Page 62 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast