Page 61 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravyboat's Log, Stardate 59575.1 page 61

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    You have my haircut!!! Make mine snow white, and just a tad longer on the sides. My salon guy cuts it so I have a really textured look (the hair is thick) so I can wear it messy (but not sticking up, tho). I have lots of cowlicks so my hair is really going to do its own thing, so the "textured" thing is actually just going with its natural direction.

You are looking good!!

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    You have my haircut!!! Make mine snow white, and just a tad longer on the sides. My salon guy cuts it so I have a really textured look (the hair is thick) so I can wear it messy (but not sticking up, tho). I have lots of cowlicks so my hair is really going to do its own thing, so the "textured" thing is actually just going with its natural direction.

You are looking good!!
    Cool! This is the haircut I used to give myself all the time back when I was in boy mode, before I grew my hair out again. Except this is a much nicer cut than I ever got before because I used electric clippers this time. :P I don't know if you've ever tried to cut the back of your hair short and even with scissors, but it ain't fun and it never really ends up looking very good.

This time was surprisingly easy, I just used the #6 (3/4") guard everywhere except the very top/front, cut those parts by hand, and then faded in with the #6 again. The worst part of the whole experience was the super long hair ALL OVER THE BATHROOM. I cut off a mound of hair bigger than a cat, lol..

It still doesn't quite feel real. It was sort of impulsive, in that I just started thinking about cutting my hair again this morning, after being okay with the long hair again for a few months. I went through my usual pros and cons lists and tried to convince myself that I really wanted long hair. But, you know what? I really don't. I'm not feminine, the maintenance sucks, and long hair just attracts the wrong sort of person (creepy guys). I feel like there are 3 main criteria for choosing a haircut: represents who I am, easy to care for, and appeals to the kind of people I would want to date. The long hair was doing none of those things. So, while it was very pretty, I don't really miss it.

When I started getting all that attention, I remember thinking very clearly that all I wanted was to be invisible again. Pretty sure I just got my wish!

I do think this haircut will look a lot better on me when I've lost more weight, though. My body looks big in comparison to my head again now. Not a great look.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 08-01-2012 at 09:32 PM.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    It looks great!
    So gorgeous.

I have to get my head partially shaved for surgery soon... this has made me feel better about the least awkward option, which would be to just let it all go.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    It looks great!
    So gorgeous.

I have to get my head partially shaved for surgery soon... this has made me feel better about the least awkward option, which would be to just let it all go.
    Oh no, I hope your head surgery goes well! Also, you could get an undercut if you're into that sort of thing. I feel like it requires a certain trendiness that I don't personally possess, but it looks nice on the right person.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    Oh no, I hope your head surgery goes well! Also, you could get an undercut if you're into that sort of thing. I feel like it requires a certain trendiness that I don't personally possess, but it looks nice on the right person.
    I have a really angled Bob right now, very short in back, scissored on neck to about halfway up, and the front is long enough to curl near my chin, partially teal/blue.
    I am also considering the one side shave (the incision will be high up on my head) plus bold color... but I'm not sure I want to deal with the longer hair sticking to the incision and stuff (I've had that happen before, hair gets gunk in it, sticks to incision and staples/stitches), plus the hair touching it will be itchier and make me want to touch it a lot.
    Plus growing out the shaved side with a long side just seems like it would be awkward.

I have a few more weeks to decide.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Ugh, I need to get into bed.. I have to be at the dentist tomorrow at 11:30 and I'm walking. Ughhh, I just know they're going to put me on antibiotics. Ughhh, I don't want to go. But I have to.

Shit, I bet they're going to numb my jaw too, and I'll be all walking around with my mouth hanging open and biting my tongue and shit. Fuck, I hate the dentist.

Ok, bedtime.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I DID like your long hair. Loved it, it was so beautiful. But this short cut looks great on you, and I completely understand about your three criteria. Maintenance is a bitch! Most of all, our hair needs to make us happy, not other people. I hope it works for you, attracting the right people, and repelling the creepy old guys. And, oh, the joys of not having to do anything to it! I buzzed all my hair off once, and loved it, in spite of many people thinking I had just gone through chemo. (When you haven't that is amusing. Less so when you have.)

Did the worms get your cut hair? Or is that something they can't deal with? I had wondered if maybe you donated it, until you wrote about having it all over your bathroom. My honey only cuts his hair once a year, and for WEEKS afterward, we have stray strands EVERYWHERE!

The worms have been getting my hair for a long time, whenever I clean out a brush. I thought about adding some shorn hair to the bin, but it takes a loooong time to break down. It is good for the bin, but I think the stuff that's already in there will take long enough.

I will probably put it outside for the birds. I realize that I probably should have donated it, but that would have involved going to a salon and dealing with the anxiety of probably getting a crappy haircut for my "debut", shall we say. Also, lots of suburban ladies staring at me and lots of gaped mouths and blah blah blah. Also, I heard that Locks of Love is a racket. And frankly I just wanted to do it the way I do most of my major life changes: alone, naked, and at home. I don't like being a spectacle. And this way some birds get to make pretty, cozy nests made of organic free-range hair with no added chemicals.

Man, I'm going to save a ton of money on baking soda now that I don't have to use a whole tablespoon every time I wash my hair.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Oh, you do no-poo? Baking soda makes my hair get DISGUSTING because of the hard water. I basically don't wash my hair period. Occasionally I'll do a lemon-water rinse. Or some hair oil to get it a little moisturized. It's always shitty for a day or two after, then it recovers, and goes back to being too dry and scuzzy. Boo. Maybe I should just find a good sulfate-free shampoo.

Love the hair. I can't do that short because my hair is very fine and that would make it stick up all over the place (like, STRAIGHT out from my head, looks goofy), but I would if I could! I'm trying to grow out to a cut like Cori described (it's my favorite style) because re-bleaching to maintain the pink would be more annoying on super short hair, I feel. I don't know, maybe a pink pixie cut would look good though.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Yeah, I wash my hair with baking soda and lemon juice about twice a week. Sometimes less often. As long as it doesn't look super greasy when I'm going out. I don't know if my water is hard or not, because it just seems like standard water to me, but I have crusty mineral deposits on all the taps.

My hair is super super fine too, actually. Even with 3/4" hair, you can clearly see my scalp now. It does stick up a little in the cowlick area, but it's so short that it just looks fluffy.

I did break my rule yesterday and bought some styling putty, though. Dimethicone and parabens as far as the eye can see.. I tried to find the one with the most natural ingredients, but yech. I looked up how to make your own hairgel, though, and it just didn't seem like there was a very easy/effective/economical option, so I bit the bullet and bought the 50-ingredient "natural botanicals" crap.

I did find out that the CVS near me carries sticks of 100% cocoa butter, though, so that's cool.

Page 61 of 93 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast