Page 55 of 93 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravyboat's Log, Stardate 59575.1 page 55

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Oh, for fuck's sake. My cat knocked a mirror off something she was not supposed to jump on, and now I have to figure out a way to replace the broken mirror glass. Do you know how hard it is to find weird-sized mirrors? I'm probably going to have to get a custom one ground. :\

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Darn a tooth problem and a broken mirror. I feel for you. I hate going to the dentist
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

212 today, but my back and arms are pretty sore from my workout yesterday, so I'm not all that surprised. I did full-range-of-motion shoveling with the hammer for the first time, and I totally feel it in my lower back today. That's good, because I probably need more muscle strength there.

Also, yesterday was the first day I attempted to do shovelglove for the full 15 minutes in one go. Let me tell you: It's hard. I actually had to cut off the last few minutes because I felt so physically weak and noodly and exhausted that I needed to sit down. I think it's kinda sad that less than 15 minutes of shoveling made my back hurt the next day. But I guess that's just a testament to the effectiveness of shovelglove. And how weak I am.

Though, I'm not gonna lie, I can totally see muscles under my fat layer now and it's really shocking to me. I especially see the lines of musculature in my calves and outer thighs, and I can't decide whether that's gross or not. My quads are enormous. My shoulders, biceps, and outer pecs are also pretty visible when I flex now. I need to figure out how to target my hams/glutes/triceps more. I am totally neglecting the back of my body, but I'm honestly a little sick of tricep extensions (isn't there anything else I can do?), and I fear that squats are only making my quads bigger.

In any case, it's weird to look like a relatively strong person with a bunch of fat over everything. Maybe if the fat were firmer and more even, like a gym bro on a bulk phase, it would look okay. But it's not, it's all soft and jiggly and hangs down. I'm getting particularly fed up with my lower belly, because it still hangs down a little. It's clearly because the skin is just really stretched out, but still, it's frustrating. I think most of my body will eventually reabsorb its extra skin, but I really worry that my lower belly (and my butt) will never go back to normal.

Oh well. All I can do is keep moving forward, I guess. Whatever happens happens.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 07-24-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I finally got motivated to look up shovelglove and see what the heck you were talking about. It looks intriguing, but the real shovelling I have yet to do in my backyard makes me feel guilty about it.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    You can try doing tricep pushups, and dips will help too. Are you doing pullups yet?

As for the muscle on your calves/thighs, that's not gross, that's actually sort of the opposite IMO.

The fat will go in time. Your skin? Well, hard to say what will happen, but chances are it will firm up quite a bit too. And no matter what, you are getting healthier physically and mentally, and that's awesome.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I finally got motivated to look up shovelglove and see what the heck you were talking about. It looks intriguing, but the real shovelling I have yet to do in my backyard makes me feel guilty about it.
    Most of the time when I am doing it I pretend I am beating up invading hordes of monsters, or I do huge rowing motions that end in lifting the hammer above my head and letting it fall down again in a big arc. It's fun and kicks my ass at the same time. I like it better than weight-lifting for a few reasons. The biggest reason is that it's not as boring. You get to make-believe like a kid again. You're not just standing there exercising, you're battling orcs, or shoveling coal into an old locomotive, or paddling down the amazon river. Lately I've been watching old historical military documentaries while I do it to get me in the mood. Another reason I like it better is because it's cheaper than buying weights or going to the gym, and honestly just as effective. You can make it more difficult just by moving your hands further down the handle. I bought this thing for $10 at the flea market and it's probably going to be my main/sole workout equipment for the next year, until I move up to a heavier one. I can afford that.

Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    You can try doing tricep pushups, and dips will help too. Are you doing pullups yet?
    I tried dips and they really just hurt my shoulders. I need to set up some chairs facing each other and do it the right way so I don't hurt myself, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Tricep pushups sound interesting and doable. Pullups = LOL. I'm still over 200lbs, there's no fucking way in hell.

As for the muscle on your calves/thighs, that's not gross, that's actually sort of the opposite IMO.
    I dunno, I think it would be sorta nice to have normal-sized girl thighs for once, though. It kinda doesn't look like that is going to happen if they're this ripped even now. We'll see, though. I still have a long way to go. And I'm losing lean mass as well as fat, if that BF% site can be trusted, so they might yet go away. I dunno.

The fat will go in time. Your skin? Well, hard to say what will happen, but chances are it will firm up quite a bit too. And no matter what, you are getting healthier physically and mentally, and that's awesome.
    Yeah, I am trying not to worry about it too much. In the grand scheme of things, some extra skin really does not matter at all. Plus, I don't date people who freak out about human imperfections. As long as I am smaller and stronger and able to do more things, I will be happy. But still, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the skin firms up too.

I forgot to mention that my inner thighs are kinda baggy these days too, and that definitely sucks. As far as my inner thighs go, however, I'm actually more concerned about the hyper-pigmentation I've had forever, which I'm pretty sure is due to insulin resistance (acanthosis nigricans). It already seems to have improved a fair amount, but it's not gone yet. And my knees are still dark too. I'm not that worried about it, because I'm sure it will go away completely on its own. But something like that seems a lot more important than something cosmetic and essentially meaningless. (Though it would be nice to wear short shorts sans thigh flab.)
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 07-24-2012 at 09:48 AM.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I wonder what normal-sized girl-thighs look like to you. My experience with normal-sized girl-thighs is that they're really useless, but my normal is probably fairly slim.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Ok, first I want to say AHHHHH!!! <3

I just measured my waist/hips for the first time in forever and I'm at 34.5" / 46"!! I also notice that I don't have back-rolls anymore, even while turning hard at the waist and trying to create them. That's incredible! I'm happy!!! 34.5" also means I'm even smaller now than I was at age 13-14. And I don't think I was even at my full height yet then. Things are coming along!

Oh, and yesterday I was laying in bed with my knees propped up, and apparently I can firmly press my knee bones together while doing that now. Extremely weird sensation. I've felt my knee bones touching for a few weeks now, but mostly while laying on my side in bed. My thighs have always been too big for that before, so I'm still trying to get used to the feeling. It's weird. What's really going to blow my mind, though, is when I can easily put my knees together when sitting in a chair and I won't have to forcibly squeeze to keep them there. I might leap up and scream in surprise the first time that happens, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I wonder what normal-sized girl-thighs look like to you. My experience with normal-sized girl-thighs is that they're really useless, but my normal is probably fairly slim.
    I take it back, honestly. There is no such thing as normal. What I mean is "conventionally attractive and generally sought-after", which isn't the same thing at all. Basically uniformly-smooth flesh tubes like these. That might be nice to have, just to experience. Especially with a thigh gap. I don't really want it because it's popular, I just wish I knew what it was like to not have your thighs rub together with every step you take, you know? It feels like walking through quicksand all the time and I'm really sick of it.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I have never had normal-sized girl-thighs, so I've accepted what I've got and learned to love my muscles. Sadly, it makes buying pants in my size a total pain. But even in my teenage eating disorder years, I never had skinny legs. Some of us just aren't built that way.

So no pullups, but can you find somewhere to do body rows/Australian pullups? They're a good step on the progression.

Mistressing the pullup :: stumptuous.com

Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! » Learning to Do a Pull-up

Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! » Pull-ups for Women

I started trying to do them at about 185 pounds, and I definitely couldn't do them then, but over time, my weight has decreased and my strength has increased, and eventually they met in the middle and now I can do big-girl pullups. They are definitely one of the biggest reasons that my arms and back are looking so strong these days and I am suddenly very into wearing sleeveless and even strapless dresses and tops.

So don't let your weight stop you from learning to do them. It might take a while, but you will get there.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yeah, ok. Here's the legs that I want.

Yup.

And thanks, Owly, I will see what I can do. One problem is that I have no gym equipment, so unless I can work with what is in my apartment, I'm SOL.

Page 55 of 93 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765 ... LastLast