Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravyboat's Log, Stardate 59575.1 page 2

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Did another small fast yesterday because I wasn't feeling hungry for lunch or dinner. Lost another pound today! Ate a normal breakfast and will eat a normal dinner tonight.

The ashwagandha really works! I feel so energized when I take it in the morning. Finding out that if I take another dose a couple hours later though it makes me sleepy. I mean, I feel good still! But a little too relaxed.

I'm about to break through 37" on my waist, so that's pretty exciting!

And man, I cannot wait until summer! I am going to spend so much time at the pool this year. Last year I went a couple times with my friends and had a blast. I had always been way too self-conscious before, but I decided to just get over it and have a good time, and I did! I think I had this image in my mind that everyone at the pool would be thin and physically perfect, and would look at me like I'm some kind of diseased leper, and I would end up feeling so bad about myself that I would burst into tears and run home. The truth is that everyone there has a real human body with scars and fat and cellulite and everything. It was not a big deal at all. And I say this as a large woman with 100% natural (and dark) body hair. No one cared! A lot of ladies even smiled at me.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to buying a new swimsuit in a couple months, since mine isn't going to fit anymore (and I never liked it much anyway). But I'm even more looking forward to sunshine and swimming!!! The pool is only a mile and a half from my house, so I imagine I'll be walking over a lot.

I have to wonder how dipping myself in chlorine is going to affect my iodine levels, though. I have a feeling I'll need to keep tabs on that.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Yay for summer and the pool!

Damn, that IF really works! No matter what I've eaten since then (even had some milk chocolate last night -- and no, it didn't taste as good as it used to ) I've been losing like a pound a day again. Down to 240 now, so I've hit my first goal!!!

The point of the first goal was to prove that I can lose more weight eating bacon and eggs every morning with no exercise than I managed to while eating "heart-healthy whole grains" and doing chronic cardio. And I was so miserable then, and I feel so good now! The last few days I've been eating basically nothing but eggs, pulled pork, cilantro, and sour cream. Lol.. Been trying to sneak in some spinach, though, so at least I'm getting enough minerals. Need to keep things at least somewhat balanced.

Woke up having sexy dreams again today. I don't know how I feel about my sex drive waking up. I was pretty content with it dying, to be honest. Makes things simpler. In fact, I recently broke up with someone mainly because my sex drive was nonexistent and I wasn't feeling any "spark" for them at all. I don't regret breaking up with them, though, because they actually ate fast food for basically every meal.... It had been several months since they had even gone grocery shopping.... So there is basically no way I would date them now that I'm primal, sex drive or no!!

Anyway, 240lbs! Hooray!

Oh! Just took some new measurements for my body fat percentage and I've officially dropped below 30%!

weight = 240lbs
    waist = 37"
    hips = 51"
    calf = 19"
    thigh = 29.5"
    wrist = 7"

"You have 29.6% body fat.
    You have 71 Pounds of fat and 169 Pounds of lean (muscle, bone, body water)."

Based on that, I should be around 20% body fat at 200lbs, assuming I don't lose a lot of muscle mass (which I might, just by virtue of carrying around less weight).

Apparently, in order to not lose muscle, people should eat 1.2 to 1.5 * (their lean body mass in kilos) per day. So that means I should get around 90g - 115g protein per day. No problem there!
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 02-27-2012 at 09:48 AM. Reason: wanted to add waist measurement

Wow, You are doing so well!

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Dear Gravyboat,
    Glad to see you journaling. As before, I am loving your goose!
    Interesting that the doctor's first (I am assuming instinctive) response was the melatonin, which he 'corrected'. I sometimes get the vibe from doctors that I should fit into a specific cubby. Makes me wonder if your symptoms said 'melatonin', but his perceptions said 'female/age/whatever' and pushed him into the second recommendation. Will you be telling him the melatonin worked? It might make a difference to his future patients.
    Thanks for posting your measurements. I always find them just as interesting as weights.

Thanks, Pebbles!

And thanks, Sabine! Basically what happened with the sleep doctor is that the guy I was seeing was likely still in training. So the poor sap still had this naive notion that that you're supposed to actually treat patients. Every time I saw him he would have to leave the room after consulting with me and go confer with his supervisor. When he looked over my sleep study results, his gut instinct (straight out of med school) was to treat me with an appropriate treatment. But his senior-doctor supervisor was like "Nah, let's stretch this out a couple more appointments/months by giving worthless advice! That way we get paid more! We're doctors, this is how it works!" (Or at least that's what my dad and I think)

I actually have thought about calling the clinic back and saying "This is why I'm not coming back: because I solved my problem using melatonin, which is an actual treatment, not the stupid try-harder non-treatment you wanted me to do. PS: Y'all are condescending assholes. Thanks for nothing." I don't know if it would make a difference to them. Maybe I'll write the junior doctor a letter directly telling him that HIS suggestion cured me, and his SUPERVISOR'S suggestion was shit, and urge him to go with his gut feeling in the future because he was 100% right.

I think people's measurements are interesting too, especially because my body seems to be so different from most women's. I'm pretty sure I'm always going to be thick and curvy no matter what. I'm pretty sure I will never be "skinny". To be honest, though, I have no idea how I'm going to end up at the end of my weight-loss journey (not that it will be the end of my primal journey!). It's kind of exciting but kind of makes me feel impatient too. I have no idea what's going to happen, and that's a little frustrating for me. Maybe I will end up eating my words later on and will somehow end up with a thin build. Who knows. I don't really care one way or another, because I'll be gorgeous either way, but I am still really impatient to find out how the story ends!!

God damnit. My whole reproductive system is waking up. First the horny dreams and now I'm back to terrible periods. I feel so bloated today it's uncomfortable to even sit.

For some reason I just got my results in the mail from my thyroid ultrasound in November..... Glad to see my doctor's office is so on the ball.

CLINICAL INFORMATION: Thyroid enlargement.

FINDINGS: Both lobes are mildly enlarged with the right lobe measuring 5.8 cm and the left lobe 5.6 cm in craniocaudal diameter. The thyroid is uniformly normal in echogenicity. There is no focal nodule.

It's good that there were no nodules. I'd be interested to know exactly how big it is now for comparison, since I lost an inch off my neck when I started taking iodine.

Since my thyroid and ovaries were both known to be enlarged, I sort of wonder what my adrenals look(ed) like.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Very interesting results. You should retest at the 6 month mark.

Page 2 of 93 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast