Page 17 of 93 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast

Thread: Gravyboat's Log, Stardate 59575.1 page 17

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Hey Gravy,

I just wanted to let you know that I just had a week of gaining 10-15 lbs for no reason. I have been supplementing iodine and that is one of the symptoms. I lowered my dose and added more celtic sea salt. My weight is coming back down. I remember that you stopped the iodine around the time you bloated up. It could be related. Gay Panda has been experiencing the same weird gains.

Hope all is well with you.
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    329 this morning. Didn't take measurements.

I went to the flea market with my friend for the first time this year. It was really lackluster. I didn't get anything. Then we went to the gym at her university, which was fun. We used the free weights, but honestly I found it a little repetitive and I felt like my form was bad even though I know what I'm doing. My body just felt all rickety. We also used the machines and I honestly liked them a lot better. The movements felt much more smooth and like I could actually focus more on, you know, pushing/pulling weight than on my stupid body wobbling around.

I realize that the free weights work "better" than the machines BECAUSE your body is free to wobble around, so you end up strengthening every part of you simultaneously because you have to try hard not to wobble. I get that. But I also fell right on my ass in front of some gym bros trying to squat with too narrow a stance. So that sucked. Wouldn't happen on a machine!

Also, I am a little frustrated with my friend because she insists on using the dinkiest little 5lbs weights and using the machines on 0lbs. I'm like, Are you kidding me? Seriously? You might as well not even do it. She read somewhere that women should use low weight and more repetitions to "tone", and I told her straight-up that that is ridiculous and there is no such thing as "toning". But still she persists. Whatever! It's just, urgh. Sooo not helping the gym perception that women are dumb and weak. I used the biggest weights I could do 10 reps on, which at this point still wasn't very impressive. I mostly used 15lb dumbbells, 30lbs combined. Not so great. It will get better though.

Anyway, I walked out of there feeling sore and noodly, which is good. I had to walk down some stairs and pretty much felt like I was going to fall. Same thing with sitting in chairs; I am pretty much just falling down onto them. My quads are currently out of commission, I guess. It's good because it means I really did work out effectively, but it's also funny and a little sad.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 04-22-2012 at 06:05 PM.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

Oh my god.

Squats: Not Even Once.

I am so sore today that it was painful TURNING OVER IN BED. Any attempt to sit or stand has been accompanied by wide-eyed, clenched-teeth "OH MY GOD"s and groans of excruciation.

It's good but it's bad. I am supposed to do a ton of stuff with my friend today, which I was seriously looking forward to. This stuff includes doing a couple loads of laundry at the fancy laundromat, thrifting, going to the farmers market/butcher, and then going to a party tonight at 9. Right now I'm not sure I can actually walk down a flight of stairs (no exaggeration), let alone skip around all over town.

It's funny, I thought dancing for 2 hours straight was a pretty good workout. And it was, in a way. I really felt it in my abs afterward, and I sweated a lot. Standard cardio, I guess. But, man, playing with weights for maybe half an hour has completely wrecked me. I am looking forward to doing it again next week, but ONLY if I don't have anything else planned for a few days afterward.

I'm starting to think my friend was smart for not using much weight. Hopefully she's not as wrecked as I am.

Oh, also, my tub is plugged up for some reason, so I need to get some heavy-duty dran-o. But I can't walk. So.. I guess I am going to be stinky for a while until I recover. Damn, this shit's so glamorous I can't even stand it.

230 today, 36", 49.25". I'm measuring now with the tape measure not pulled tight.

Still SUPER SUPER sore. When I woke up my legs actually hurt worse than they did yesterday morning. But Delayed-Onset Muscle Soreness peaks at around 48hrs, so that makes sense. It shouldn't get any worse from here on, thankfully.

I started using a rolling pin on my thighs. It hurts! But I think it's also supposed to help take the lactic acid out of the muscles, so I can deal with it.

My friend wasn't as sore as I am, which is good. I didn't end up going out yesterday because I am nearly certain I cannot walk down stairs right now, let alone down from the 4th floor. I can barely bend my knees when I walk. She was really understanding and went to pick up Dran-o and cat food and tuna for me, which was so nice of her. I didn't go to the party, but she didn't seem especially surprised or bummed out about it. I didn't really want to go anyway, since I wouldn't know anyone. I think she understood. She came over and hung out, though, and we watched a documentary. I wish I could have done "real" stuff with her like we were supposed to, but I'm glad we got to hang out a little bit at least.

I'm popping extra calcium and magnesium pills in an attempt to recover faster/better. I just hope I can get out of bed without excruciating pain again in a couple days!

Oh, I also wanted to mention that my belly and inner thighs are currently the squishiest they've ever been. I have a lot of cellulite-looking fluffy fat there now, which sorta sucks, but whatever. I need to start doing leg-lifts to work on my lower abs. I used some sort of crunch machine at the gym, but I only felt it in my upper abs, and they don't really need as much help.
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 04-24-2012 at 09:33 AM.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Are you still there, Gravyboat?

I'm still here. Haven't been losing any weight at all. I finally recovered from my xtreme muscle soreness, but I've been at 230 every day with the same measurements. My body is stupidly squishy and I am constantly pinching at it, wanting it to go away. But nothing seems to be happening. I guess it's a real live plateau.

To keep from getting discouraged, I keep telling myself I've dropped 30lbs and am keeping it off with zero effort, and that is pretty amazing and I should be proud. I'm still only 1/3 of the way there though.

I'm going back to the gym tomorrow, and picking up more meat at the butcher after, and stopping at the farmers market for vegetables and marrow bones. I'm making a bunch of stew this month and I'm going to stew some bones in with the meat (big ones which will obv be fished out before serving). I really want to make french onion soup with a ton of beef in it. I have a bottle of red wine on my fridge waiting to go.

Lately I've been eating a lot of bacon and eggs (with a little syrup) and a lot of peanut curry with tuna and bell peppers and carrots, and a lot of bananas.

I really hope I start losing weight again soon. Until then there doesn't seem to be much to report.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    How about switching fruit carbs for starch like potatoes or white rice?

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    How about switching fruit carbs for starch like potatoes or white rice?
    I might try some potatoes this week, but I'm leaning more toward cracking back on sugar again, as I lost gobs of weight doing that before. I don't really like rice. I'm definitely gonna go easy on the bananas unless I start swelling again, and I don't eat much other fruit. Gonna stop the syrup and chocolate completely, as I've been eating a little bit still.

Was 228lbs this morning. Went to the gym today. Gave my thighs a rest and only did two sets of squats and did not touch the leg press machine. Instead I mostly worked on shoulders and arms. I bench-pressed with a barbell for the first time and felt like a badass. Also did bicep curls, rows, lateral raises, and worked on a couple arm-related machines. I warmed up today with the elliptical, but I did not like it. It takes some work to make the machine move the right way and it kind of jerks you around until you get it going. I dunno. I definitely felt it in my legs after barely a minute, but I was doing it to warm up for squats and it felt too intense. I need to find something less xtreme for warming up.

There were a ton of bros at the gym. No meatnecks or anything, and no heavy grunting, but there were a lot of guys in the weight area and we were kind of competing for space. None of them gave me any dirty looks or anything, which is good. They mostly avoided eye contact, but I could feel some mild surprise and approval at my being a fat girl lifting weights among the bros. I'm not sure how to qualify that except for saying their body language was respectful and their eyebrows were slightly raised. I did not walk out of there feeling judged at all, which is great, especially since I was wearing new pants which are really thin and clingy.

Speaking of which, I had to buy new gym pants, because the only pair of sweats I had were a size 24 and thus HANGING off me. They are so big and hang down so bad that even pulling the draw string super tight and tying them up around my natural waist, I still step on the bottoms, which is just not safe at the gym. So I dragged my friend to Target to buy some gym pants and came home with some thin spandexy black pants. Size LARGE. Not XL. Not XXL. LARGE. Wtf.

To be fair, I do have to wear them up at my natural waist or the elastic band squishes my fat in half, which is mega unflattering. But they are really stretchy pants and they fit fine. I'm happy with them because now I'll be able to lose a lot of weight and they will still fit. It'll be a long time before the elastic is hanging off me, if ever. I only wish they were like an inch longer. Whatever.

So, I have a feeling I will be mildly sore tomorrow, but it should NOT be like it was last week. I purposely went easy on my legs. The worst thing I did to them today was haul a large box of meat up to the 4th floor. Okay, and the squats right after coming off the elliptical.. Eh.

Anyway, the gym experience, even at peak crowded hours, was not bad at all and I did not feel anxious or judged. Even doing new exercises involving laying down on a bench (read: unflattering pose and vulnerable) among a bunch of gym dudes. It was totally fine. Most of the guys there were actually pretty shrimpy and weak, so we were all lifting pretty small and most of them seemed to not know what they were doing. So I was in good company! The only people there doing serious stuff were two guys deadlifting in a rack off to the side, and some badass lady doing pullups. And they ignored everyone around them.

Overall, it was a good day. I ate a plate of bacon and eggs when I got home. Now, time to watch Star Trek and grind my warrior up to lvl85.

229, 36.25" / 49.25", same measurements as usual

Sore today! Feels good though, not like last week. It's mostly my arms and shoulders, which is way more tolerable. And, to be honest, I actually like feeling sore because I can tell I'm "doing it right". It's a good feeling, as opposed to, like, incapacitated like I was last time.

Just found out today that the gym I go to has an entire huge weight room, not just the little weight area I have been using. The place is huge and the weight room proper is on the 3rd floor, which I've never been to. I guess there's also a track up there, so I'm going to start warming up with sprints. I'll be bringing my inhaler!

But, for now, it's recovery time.

Page 17 of 93 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767 ... LastLast