Thread: Need help to stop binge eating... page

Stephanie A. is offline Member

Need help to stop binge eating...

After several months of successful PB eating and lifestyle, something triggered a binge eating episode and I have been unable to completely shake it for several weeks. I don't even remember when it started. I may go a day or two without any binge eating episodes, but cannot make it beyond 2 days. This is so frustrating and disheartening as I was feeling so wonderful.

I don't want to have a pity party, but would love to hear from others who have struggled with binge eating and what has worked to get yourself out of a binge pattern.

Thank you for your support.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    I've been working some form of a "Primal/Paleo" type of diet for about a year now. Started out with Tim Ferris' Slow Carb Diet from his book Four Hour Body...migrated over here sometime last June/July and like the approach a lot better. Not to say I didn't learn things from SCD, it was an important part of my journey and valuable experience, I just didn't settle on it.

Anyway, relapse and binge eating of stuff you know is not good for you happens. It's happened to me at least 5 or 6 times in the past year (and I'm strictly talking about MAJOR relapse...doesn't even count the "little" cheats here and there...)

I went pretty much the last 40 days of 2011 on a continuous binge -- the holidays weren't good for me.

You dust yourself off, get back on the horse, and try again. Usually what gets me out of the binge pattern is I start to feel like crap and I remember the way I felt good when I was eating "on protocol" and then usually just draw a line in the sand and say "I'm starting again here..."

Eventually, I think it gets easier. How long that will take for any given person, I can't say. We're all different.

Biggest piece of advice I'd say is focus on putting GOOD stuff in your mouth and don't worry about how much at first. Give yourself a compromise that you are ONLY going to eat food that's good for you, but that you can have as much as you want. I think sometimes people are in such a hurry to "see results" that they move into trying to restrict calories before their metabolisms are ready to switch over. Be patient and give your body time.

Read up on Mark's "sensible indulgences" and allow yourself plenty of those in order to preserve sanity. For example, one time when I was trying to get back on the horse, I got some really nice dark chocolate that I liked and I would have a square of it while I was getting ready for bed each night. Kind of a "promise to myself" if I stayed on track each day. Maybe not the most "ideal" thing to do as it might not be the best thing to do to eat that right before bed. But, I really looked forward to it and I think that helped me stay on track throughout the day. Right now, I don't really need the square of dark chocolate, but for awhile it's what got me through the day.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Clabbergirl is online now Senior Member
    You might try Dr. Kruse's Leptin Reset protocol - there are several threads for this here on these forums that are quite active. MamaGrok comes to mind as someone who has tried it to combat binge eating and has had great success. Have you been able to figure out what triggered your binge? And if so, removing it from your life? Times of high stress are hardest for me, and probably anyone dealing with food issues.

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    I've had/still have problems with binging and cheating. I had some indian food (a ton of slices of naan and sauce). When I felt bloated and disgusting, I said "enough!" Eventually you'll snap when you realize the binging is going nowhere. Sometimes I slip in a cookie when I cave (I live with my family who eats very unhealthily, always bad food available). The will to be healthy has been growing though.

Just keep at it. They say willpower is like a muscle. Sometimes it gets fatigued and you can't exercise it when you want to, but over time it gets stronger. The will to say no gets easier.

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I was a recovered binger for the last 10 years on the Zone diet but gradually lost too much muscle. So last year I tried to up my calories and got sooo tired so I switched to intermittent fasting. My take on it is, if you know what you are doing you are much more likely to be successful. Ori Hofmekler has a book called The Warrior Diet; he says bingeing is primal and normal. Now for sure you can't eat a ton every single day- I started having some problems on WD despite exercising a lot. So I've switched to Fast 5 which is a longer daily fast- 19 hours as opposed to 15 or so with some small low glycemic meals during the day. I've also added in some Atkins Fat Fast days which are 1,000 calories and 90% fat- seems to help nuke out or even out some of the larger meals.
    This is my opinion as a long term almost pro dieter- I've tried it all over about a 25 year period. There's nothing wrong with wanting to enjoy food! There are ways around it and you can do it. Grains and for many dairy cause problems- restrict at least grains, learn IF and the Atkins Fat Fast to get to the truth about carbs and how our bodies are really designed to live. But don't decide to get up every day and try to eat perfect or make it X #of days of perfect eating- just make the primal changes that you must make and go from there. IMO intermittent fasting is a primal change that makes the whole thing easier.
    Read Fast 5:
    PDF Ebook The Fast-5 Diet and the Fast-5 Lifestyle | Free PDF Ebooks Files @AcrobatPlanet.Com

Unicorn is offline Senior Member
    Have you looked to pinpoint what triggered the binge? Are there life stresses going on? Possibility of SAD? What foods do you typically consume on a binge? Could it be that your nutrient ratios are not quite dialed in for *your*body? I have found that there are certain foods that are 'gateway' foods, once I eat them, it starts off a days-long binge filled with crap.

KimInGA is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For me, the biggest deterrent is just not being hungry. My worst binges are/were usually a series of small snacks because I was hungry but the next meal was still an hour (or two or three) away. Try different stuff and see what makes you full. For me, 2-3 scrambled eggs or a can of tuna/salmon usually does it. Another good one is a cup of tea with up to a tablespoon of coconut oil melted in it (yes it sounds kind of weird, but it makes me feel REALLY full).