Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magnesium and Potassium rich foods page

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member

Magnesium and Potassium rich foods

Primal Fuel
    I've been tracking my vitamin and mineral intake for a few weeks, and whilst I'm getting plenty of most things without supplementation, I just can't seem to get anywhere near the recommended amount of magnesium and potassium. Anyone know any good whole food sources for these minerals? Thanks.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I think magnesium is one of the minerals that are really hard to get now that most of the soil is fairly depleted.

Hate to say it, but I just suck it up and supplement because I get migraines when I don't get my 1000mg every day.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    How about an epsom salt bath? I take a salt bath at least once a week. I use a mixture of Himalayan Sea Salt and cheaper store brand epsom salt. I also do a neti pot wash of my sinuses once a week with the Himalayan Salt. I think your skin and sinuses must be a great way to absorb magnesium and other minerals into your body.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I've been wondering the same.I went to get a general check up and some blood work today just to be told that my local health center "doesn't check vitamin levels" and that "Nobody actually has a vitamin deficiencies,except for maybe vitamin D".At that point I asked how much vitamin D I should take and the guy responded with "I have people on anything from 800 iu to 50,000 iu,so pick a number between those and you'll be fine.You could take a gram of it a day and be ok.".The only valuable information I got was that my blood pressure is 118/86,which is better than it was pre-paleo.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I am unable to get enough magnesium or potassium from diet alone. Even adding in lots of foods, I was still having muscle cramping and weakness - I use a topical magnesium brine and an oral potassium supplement daily.

Some of the top food for potassium: tomatoes, green beans, peas, dates, halibut, salmon, and spinach.

Magnesium is harder to gauge because estimates are off as soil is depleted, but halibut, spinach, okra, pumpkin and pumpkin seeds, cocoa powers, and brazil nuts are decent sources.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

acohn is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Englishman in Oz View Post
    I've been tracking my vitamin and mineral intake for a few weeks, and whilst I'm getting plenty of most things without supplementation, I just can't seem to get anywhere near the recommended amount of magnesium and potassium. Anyone know any good whole food sources for these minerals? Thanks.
    Spinach is high in magnesium, potassium, and calcium. It's now a staple of my diet: curried (with a fair amount of butter and full-fat yogurt) and sauteed with butter, bacon grease, garlic, ginger, and toasted pine nuts. In the U.S. there's a tomato-based juice called V8. The low-sodium version has 800 mg of potassium/cup Also, I have ground chia seed in my daily meatloaf. The chia seed soaks up a lot of liquid, helping to bind the loaf and has magnesium and potassium. If I eat a 3.5 oz serving of meatloaf, 1 C of spinach and 2 C of low-sodium V8 in a day, I can eat my ration of magnesium and potassium. If I don't, then I supplement.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I eat a log of green leafy vegetables, cocoa powder, salmon, shrimp, leeks, sweet potato and occasional almonds which are all good sources of magnesium. As long as I get enough sodium and potassium (both much easier to obtain) I do not need to supplement magnesium. However, I'd find it difficult to ensure I get enough magnesium if I was consuming much less than 2000 calories a day. It's definitely worth trying supplementation if you are in doubt.

As long you eat plenty of vegetables and fruit, you are unlikely to become potassium deficient, as long as you get enough sodium. So ensure you eat enough salt, as a primal diet is usually naturally low in sodium. If you don't, your body will sweat potassium and magnesium in place of sodium.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

dbalch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiliangtu View Post
    I also do a neti pot wash of my sinuses once a week with the Himalayan Salt. I think your skin and sinuses must be a great way to absorb magnesium and other minerals into your body
    Great way to protect yourself against colds as well!!!!

michal121 is offline Banned
    Potassium is a very significant body mineral, important to both cellular and electrical function. Most non-grain foods have potassium. Fruits,veggies,nuts, seeds, fish etc. Sweet potatoes, avocado, salmon, tuna have a lot Potassium.
    ---------------------------------
    isabel de los rios reviewIsabel De Los Rios | Beyond Diet

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acohn View Post
    Spinach is high in magnesium, potassium, and calcium. It's now a staple of my diet: curried (with a fair amount of butter and full-fat yogurt) and sauteed with butter, bacon grease, garlic, ginger, and toasted pine nuts. In the U.S. there's a tomato-based juice called V8. The low-sodium version has 800 mg of potassium/cup Also, I have ground chia seed in my daily meatloaf. The chia seed soaks up a lot of liquid, helping to bind the loaf and has magnesium and potassium. If I eat a 3.5 oz serving of meatloaf, 1 C of spinach and 2 C of low-sodium V8 in a day, I can eat my ration of magnesium and potassium. If I don't, then I supplement.
    What a clever use for chia seeds! Thank you for that. And now I have a hankering for some spinach curry.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 175 x 3. Current Deadlift: 225 x 3

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast