Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: light-headed, muscle weakness, breathless, constipation, little weight loss page 2

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
    I went to a doc that eats "a variation of primal" who recommended 50+ oz water per day and 35g of fiber. It's been hard to get that much, and I've gotten close, but it hasn't really helped.
    Fiber is not all it's cracked up to be. Check out Gut Sense: How to reverse and prevent constipation in children and adults.

My doc told me to up my fiber after I tore my colon (no, not doing that...), and every time I know I've eaten as much as he wanted it feels like crap. Turns out what I really needed was less fiber.

If you aren't having any success with 500 mg magnesium, try upping it a little. I take 1000 mg because I get migraines with anything less. Regularity is just a nice side effect of that, though I do better if I take half in the morning and half in the evening. If you don't want to do that, adding some coconut oil helps some people too.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoraTX View Post
    Eating less ... I probably should cut back a little. I find myself fighting cravings, though.
    That's not a good idea. Unless all you mean here is deciding not to eat junk. Eat to satiety, as the saying goes. If you're eating a fairly low amount of carbohydrate, as I assume you are in accordance with the Primal BP Curve:

How many carbs should I eat each day? | Mark's Daily Apple

... then your hunger won't be being "pushed" by the carbs, and you'll probably be eating far less than you otherwise would. But if you're hungry, it's because you're not eating enough. Don't try counting calories and counting carbs. The first method doesn't tend to work. If you're cutting carbs, it's superfluous to count calories: you just eat till you're comfortable, not forcing down more food than you want nor going hungry.

As to the dizziness, etc., as people have said it's probably electrolyte imbalances. And this is partly why I assume you are keeping carbs very low: it's what happens when you do, if you don't supply those electrolytes. There's a pretty full discussion here:

The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. Tips & tricks for starting (or restarting) low-carb Pt II

Another reason why I assume you are fairly low carb is because you say:

No exercise, mostly. I do try to park further and take opportunities to get Grok-style exercise occasionally, but its infrequent. I know I need to do more, but have a hard time making myself do it.
    Now, your brain can run off glucose or it can run off ketones. If you're low-carb there's not going to be much glucose around in your system (or your pockets); but unless you're both very low-carb and keto-adapted, which takes a few weeks, you won't have ketones available for it either. You simply haven't got the fuel for anything very energetic, and once you try you begin to dip into the glucose that your brain needs ... well, it won't put up with that. You'll feel bad, and it'll make you grab sugar. Gentle exercise, as you're currently doing, will be fine.

This, by the way, is one reason why "low-calorie, low fat, high carb diets" plus exercise usually fail: because even a high-carb diet (say 50% of calories), if it's low enough in total calories only supplies just enough glucose for the brain. Once the person adds the exercise, they're trying to dip into the brain's energetic needs -- which one way or another must be supplied.

On the other point, as has again already been said, magnesium supplements can help. AFAIK, this is something of an unintended side-effect and has to do with some forms of magnesium not being absorbed as well as they might be. Magnesium citrate -- say in the form of the NaturalCalm product -- definitely makes most people go more easily once the dose gets up to a couple of teaspoons or more:

Natural Calm

And, again, make sure to drink enough water and stay hydrated.
    Last edited by Lewis; 05-27-2012 at 11:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12