Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: College Students? page

Tara is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

I recently discovered MDA (while doing some research on Stevia!) and I have since been completely enthralled with this site! I ordered The Primal Blueprint, read it all the way through, and made the leap! I have been primal for 4 days now

However, I am a college student living with four absolutely NON PRIMAL housemates, as well as being surrounded by skeptical friends that think I should just eat "normal" (not to mention binge drink!)

I'm curious how many other college students frequent this site and if they (or non college students!) have any tips on how they made the transition as easily as possible with their peers!

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

You should check out the thread about living with non-primal family. A lot of the same tips will translate.

As for me, I simply eat what I eat and my friends/housemates and I do not coordinate our social events around food. They know very well that I will lead them all over the city to find the best place that serves meat and salad instead of pizza.

ETA: OOps, it was "Living with non-Groks" Thread is here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...With-Non-Groks

Thanks so much! I will definitely check that out

JamieRose is offline Member

Hello!

I'm in college as well, and I've found that you really just have to learn to stick to your guns when people question you about your diet- eventually they just stop bugging you so much :P

OR you could always lie and say that you have a food allergy. No one questions that, haha.

Haha, that sounds like a good idea. I'm hoping that as they start to see my results over the next couple of months they will stop doubting my sanity!

vonterschpe Guest

Love this topic. I'm also in college and I kind of drift in and out of a primal diet depending on how much money i have to spend on food. I eat a lot of fat to keep my energy up on my long barefoot runs (10 miles) and try to not eat a lot of processed carbs. It's really pretty easy to do actually. On the other hand, I don't eat a lot of food in general because I dont have much money. Fat is usually pretty dense (calorie wise) for the price so thats what i usually buy.

The only times when I dont follow the diet are when other people pay for my food. I figure if somebody is gonna put free food in front of me I'm gonna eat it. I guess thats really the only time I break free from the diet. I eat some bread occasionally, but very little when i actually do. I think the most important thing that happens when i eat primal is that I'm happy. And if i throw in some bread or grains every once in a while in social environments then that makes me happy too.

I feel that the reason humans are so successful as a species is that we are flexible. We can eat a lot of different things on occasion as long as we have a good base to go off of. I guess what I'm getting at is don't feel so bad breaking/bending the rules so much as long as you don't do it fairly often. And just stay happy. That will make you keep you looking good and healthy just as much as a diet.

Any of you girls live in Iowa? ;-) you sure do look cute. lol.

jkilbane is offline Junior Member

I'm in college as well. It's easiest just to make your own meals and emphasize that you're eating "real food" as opposed to whatever your roomies are eating. My roommate eats almost entirely processed food and beer. When I drink I stick to either red wine or whiskey on ice. I'm a complete contradiction to everything that is Milwaukee.

I've learned that arguing with folks will go nowhere because most students are so deeply buried in conventional culture/wisdom. I just stick to eating my real food and offer to point those who inquire to sources like this website or books on nutrition that i've read. When they see how good you look&feel, they might start listening. COngrats on finding the site and good luck!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

I don't dorm but I live close to school at home and my family is not too primal. Just buy your own groceries and cook your own foods.

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

JamieRose is offline Member

Another tip- Jungle juice is anything BUT primal. And neither are those maraschino cherries that have been soaking up the ever clear overnight. Oi...

bergster1010 Guest

I am also i college student. Athlete as well! So far when i have been telling people the truth they think i'm weird that i don't eat what they call "normal foods." Its especially tough traveling all the time. In the long run I found it easiest to say you have food allergies to grains and other processed foods!!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast