Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: College Students? page 2

mandabear2010 is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Yeah I am a college student too, although right now I am on internship and lucky enough to live with my mom who is just happy whenever I say I want to be healthy. SO yeah a friend of mine said that he keeps a blood sugar meeter with him and he shows it to people and says "I just have to watch my blood sugar now..." and they shut up and walk the other way.

A great tip for parties is to have club soda with lime and lemon juice in it, toss a lime in and drink on it... no one will know what you are drinking and as long as there is SOMETHING in your hand... no questions will be asked

Live Like No One Else

http://primalterp.blogspot.com/

GrockinOut is offline Senior Member

Hey welcome to the forum! I am too a college student living the PB lifestyle, and i am in the same situation as you. My one house mate is actually a vegan (this is funny because he is quite overweight) and my other one does not really care. My vegan roomy always tells me I am going to kill my cholesterol, and all that fat is bad blah blah blah CW

What makes the transition easier with your friends? I do not really talk about it until someone asks me about it. And than I usually give a talk about how my energy is up, my lifts have increased with me having to "bulk up" in the traditional sense of bodybuilding. Plus tell them you eat a lot of eggs and bacon. My other roommate loves it when I cook extra bacon!

trust me you are not the only college student here!

PS if you are anything like me (cheap, and poor) eggs will become your friend. I go through literally a dozen a day!

Kent Hawley is offline Junior Member

I'm a college student but a non-traditional one (46-year-old distance Ph.D. student). First, if you can be healthy while doing the normal undergraduate thing, more power to you. It's a tough environment in which to make healthy choices. I applaud you all for your efforts.

Second, I find it sad that our social context makes it more advantageous to lie about our lifestyles than to tell the truth. It is sad that we must make our healthy drink look sugary and alcohoic to "fit in." It is sad that we have to carry a sugar meter or make up allergies to give us an excuse to eat healthfully.

Why can't other people just accept that we eat differently than they and leave it at that. Perhaps people belive that persuading others to adopt their habits gives those habits sanction. Seems strange to me to need the approval of others to do what I believe is right.

Finally, just do what you know is right for your body and mind. Your friends will accept it.

GtrBMart is offline Junior Member

I'm in college and lucky enough to have two friends that eat the same way I do. My roommates just think I'm a good cook. I have one friend that likes to naysay and tell me I'm wrong but most people just accept it as a character quirk.

Hunter of the Shield is offline Junior Member

Switching to liquor and wine helps in drinking situations.

It was frustrating having to explain my habit initially, but after losing about 50 pounds people start to quiet down.

JStrick is offline Senior Member

I agree, wine is your friend when it comes to the alcohol, or aged spirits over ice

I know for me Eggs and bacon are my saving grace. As long as you aren't buying the high priced(albeit much better) brand of eggs they are super cheap. Even a dozen pasture raised all natural thing of eggs here is only 3.50. 3 eggs a meal and you have a really cheap source of great protein, add in some bacon for the fat and wallah!

Also, i agree that if someone is going to buying your meal you might just want to eat it, i've been doing this for around 8 months now and those every once in a while free meals have yet to kill me or slow my weight loss progress down.

I like the "im allergic to gluten" excuse the best. Although ive never had to use it before luckily.

Tara is offline Senior Member

Ah! Love all the feedback!! Most of the naysayers are fraternity boys that say "your not fat, you don't need to be on a diet" but thankfully, along with going primal, my mindset has been changed! I no longer want to eat a certain way to lose weight... I genuinely want to be healthy! I am learning to love my body enough to want to nourish it properly! I figure that if I start as a college student, it will be easier for me to make healthy choices for the rest of my adult life!

I love that there are so many other college students! It's really encouraging... and I definitely can relate to the bacon and eggs comments... I eat SO MANY EGGS because they are SO cheap! Trader Joes has been a life saver as far as produce but other than eggs, the occasional chicken breast and whey protein shakes.. I'm struggling to find other cheap(ish) proteins. Any thoughts? Is it a terrible thing to be eating so many eggs?

I know this may sound cheesy, but I pretty much LOVE Marks Daily Apple... I look forward to browsing it every day! And this forum is great!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member

Lately I've been buying pork shoulder (Boston butt) and throwing it in the slow cooker with some liquid smoke and salt. It's usually very cheap (1.50/lb or less if on sale) and very delicious! Also really easy. Just toss it in there and ~8 hours later you have pounds of delcious fatty meat.

I used to worry about eating too many eggs, but now I can go through 5 or 6 a day and not feel bad about it. Remember, eating cholesterol doesn't raise your cholesterol; your liver will just produce less if you eat more.

JamieRose is offline Member

Aw you basically just voiced exactly how I feel! I wouldn't worry about the eggs. I eat like, three a day, and copious amounts of coconut oil (I speacial order a huge jar from Nutiva for 22 bucks from amazon, it lasts a loooong time. Plus I use it as skin moisturizer). I eat tons of leafy greens and salad shrimp, too.

Tara is offline Senior Member

I eat about 3 or 4 a day too... Usually for dinner! Salad shrimp? Is that different than normal shrimp?

I'll have to check out the Coconut Oil on Amazon! I bought a small jar recently so I could start using it more but I am still having a little bit of a hard time with the "eating fat DOESN'T make you fat" AHH haha, it's definitely a leap of faith! This is only my 5th day of primal so I haven't really seen a physical difference but I have noticed an increase (small) in my energy levels! I haven't started the exercise thing (besides yoga 3 times a week) but I was wondering if that made a big difference for any of you??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast