Thread: Storing fruit for longer page

Aquamarine is offline Member

Storing fruit for longer

Primal Fuel
    Looking to extend the life of mangos, kiwis, pears, apples, and other fruit. In particular ones where they are sold less-than-ripe and I have to let them ripen at home. Once they ripen, I have too much to eat at once. If I wait until they are ripe or slightly over-ripe, and put them in the fridge, will most of the nutrients be retained?

Is there a way to make them last more days? I would get airtight containers if it lasts much longer.

I could even vacuum out the air, if it's worth the effort. Does anyone know how long they would last in a vac sealed glass jar?

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Apples and pears will keep for quite a while if kept in a cool location. For the rest, try these: Amazon.com: Debbie Meyer Green Bags: Kitchen & Dining

To ripen fruit at home, try putting them in a brown paper lunch bag. Keep close tabs on them because they seem to ripen rather suddenly. Transferring to the refrigerator should dramatically slow the ripening process, although it will probably not stop it completely.

I have found that some fruits, if picked too soon, never seem to ripen.

Aquamarine is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    Transferring to the refrigerator should dramatically slow the ripening process, although it will probably not stop it completely.

I have found that some fruits, if picked too soon, never seem to ripen.
    Yes, I agree. I also think if it's ever been chilled, it could interrupt good ripening or slow it permanently.

Most of those bags and containers for fruit are for the fridge. I would rather keep most fruits warmer than the fridge. Maybe I can figure out an in-between.

I really want to try airtight and vacuum sealed containers.

ShermaDemar is offline Junior Member
    Transferring to the refrigerator should dramatically slow the ripening process

Pamsc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I believe apples are stored commercially in nitrogen gas, so reducing oxygen could work. But I would worry about the moisture they put out.