Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substitute for bananas in shakes? page

Aquamarine is offline Member

Substitute for bananas in shakes?

Shop Now
    I want to stop using bananas in shakes. They are so filling for the price. What can I use instead? I don't see myself using avocados in a shake. I already use egg white protein, coconut milk, chia seeds, and berries when I can afford them.

patski is offline Senior Member
    What have you got against avocados? HUH?!

They make your shake really creamy...sinfully so!
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

I am trying to learn to like them. Slow going.

Englishman in Oz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamarine View Post
    I want to stop using bananas in shakes. They are so filling for the price.
    I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? Bananas are cheap and add a smooth texture to a shake, but they certainly don't fill me up. Anyway, I assume you're looking for something to give the same texture without the carb content of bananas. Without avocado, I'd recommend changing coconut milk for coconut cream as it's thicker and about the same price. It's effectively more coconut and less water than milk. About 100ml per shake should do. Also a spoon of nut butter (almond or macca, not peanut) can really thicken a shake and give it a nice taste, though it isn't cheap unfortunately.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    why no bananas? not sure anything quite 'substitutes' in terms of taste and texture. fruit is unique stuff!!

Bananas bother me, even organic. They have some natural chemicals in them which reduce as the fruit ripens, but I am sensitive so I can't eat them until they are over-ripe. I only have a 1/2-1 day window before they get too over-ripe and I can't stand them. I am curious about refrigerating or vacuum sealing them right at the perfect ripeness for me, to give me a few days to eat them, however I would rather spend the carbs on other food anyway Even at the best ripeness, they bother me a little. The grocery store with organic bananas wants you to buy a whole bundle of 6 bananas at once.

Coconut cream and nut butters are good ideas. I don't consider almond butter expensive because you only need a little each time.

Pears are great. I just had a smoothie with coconut water, a tsp of cocoa and a half teaspoon of honey. Delicious.

I may have to try that.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    If bananas bother you, avocado is likely to also. They are both in the latex family. What about canned pumpkin. Or sweet potato, or butternut squash?

Owly is offline Senior Member
    You can peel and then freeze bananas on a baking sheet (so they don't stick together) and then put them in freezer bags for later use. Sometimes the grocery store puts the overripe organic bananas on clearance, and I'll buy a couple of bunches and freeze them for use in smoothies and baking.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast