Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone/joint pain page

hfox is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I apologize for plaguing the forum with wet-blanket health concerns and inquiries, but here comes another. MDA-ers are too insightful; I can't resist :-)

As some will remember from the discussion on periods that I started a while back, I have amenorrhea (which is currently being explored by doctors). I'm 90% sure that my underlying problem is hypothalamic amenorrhea; aside from the clear lifestyle factors that led to it, the bloodwork has also been leading very clearly in that direction.

What's new, and what I am currently worried about, is the general bone and joint pain that has crept up on me since early this month--it's sporadic, but it is certainly there.

To my frustration, my doctor kind of disregarded this pain when I mentioned it to her. I told her that I wanted a bone scan and she said that I would need one in the future, but that now was not the time. She said that it might be related to some "thyroid thing," but since she is not an internist, she doesn't really know at this point and did not seem to be that worried about it.

My questions--SHOULD I be worried about it although she seemingly is not? What might be causing it? Is this likely related to the amenorrhea or is it something else entirely? Has this happened to other women.. what have you guys done about it?

Needless to say, this bone soreness and joint pain has really been scaring me. Against my better judgment, I've been googling it for the last couple of days and am now just hoping that I don't have some kind of autoimmune problem (I have a relatively small patch of psoriasis on my neck, also). Can anyone please shed some light on this?

I'm sorry that I sound so much like a hypochondriac. Though it certainly doesn't look like it now, I actually used to be *sane* before lukewarm doctors came into my life!

Thanks again to all of you for your insights and suggestions. I'm very happy to have found MDA and this primal community.

Miriam Guest

Hfox, don’t worry I also have asked questions on my health as I have had the blank stare and no answer from my doctor and got more information and advice from everyone here.

Anyway how much cardio were you going? When I used to do chronic cardio I was always feeling it in my hips and knees but now since cutting way, way back have no problem, also have upped my fish oils. Though if it has just crept up on you maybe not, but worth a think about.

Not too sure if my answer is on the right track but I am sure someone can help you. Anyeay if you are worried and think it is something that needs further investigation then do go and get a second opinion or ask again for the bone scan, I believe that doctors can only give so much advice (after all there are a huge amount of aliments out there how are they supposed to remember/know everything!).

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Don't know much about periods....OK, as much as a non-med guy, I guess. You didn't mention your diet here, how long PB, etc.

I can tell you this, it's purely subjective, I have no way of proving anything. In the early mid-90's my knees, especially the left, would often give out on me. Sometimes just a shot of pain without warning as I was walking on a soft surface like sand, or maybe pain and clicking as I used the clutch in the truck I was driving. If I kept my foot more vertical, I was pretty much OK. Ditto bike riding with clip-ons. Guidance helped.

I wound up buying a double sided knee brace and used it from time to time. I always traveled with it, just in case.

Back then I was eating pretty much what I wanted, which included a lot of polyunsaturated oils because, hey, they are good for you, right? I also tried those joint vitamins, but I always fell out of the drill sooner or later.

But over the last few years my oils have definitely tended towards primal, even though it wasn't a plan. More lard, more butter, more olive oil, less margarine. I credit Dr. Enig with enlightening me.

Lo and behold, I now rarely have a knee jolt. And it's never bad. Coincidence? Bad science? I don't know, but it fits with what we increasingly know about those grain oils.

62shelby Guest

hfox, painful joints and bones could be indicative of inflammation, are you taking any omega 3's? my ND tested me for erythrocyte levels in November, they were on the high side, but they expect them to be higher in a training athlete. Does it lessen or increase with certain food? do you eat alot of foods from the nightshade family? does it lessen or increase depending on what kind of physical activity you are doing or does it just come and go when it wants to? are you under alot of emotional stress right now?

LabRat Guest

Given that bone density loss is associated with hypothalamic amenorrhea (as well as amenorrhea in general), I'd be more worried about that joint pain than your doctor is and I'd either press harder for the bone scan or find a doctor that IS an internist and bring it up with them.

It *could* well be inflammation that's causing the pain- but especially if you're also exercising hard, stress fractures due to your bones not keeping pace with the rest of your body's adaptations would really suck.

Karin Guest

It's conceivable that your anxiety about your amenorrhea and other issues lowering your pain threshold and making you aware of discomforts that you otherwise didn't notice before. This is true of people in general, they've done studies. I'm not saying it's all in your head, i'm just saying the brain is more than a passive observer. It's also possible that your focus on your body lately has you paying more attention to sensations you usually feel but ignore. You may find your joint pain goes away when your other health issues are handled. It could also be that you do have joint problems...related to your amenorrhea or not. Try to relax, see your doctor, see a second doctor if it makes you feel better. In the mean time, take time to exercise. Take time to enjoy the fact that you still enjoy comparatively good health compared to many people. I don't have a crystal ball and i'm not a doctor, but i bet you'll be just fine.

Tarlach is offline Member

Joint pain is often caused by consumption of nightshades. Are you eating more tomatoes and peppers lately?

I cured my joint issues when I removed nightshades from my diet.

Nightshades are also likely to be the cause of osteoarthritis

The "Seven Deadly Sins"

• Grains (wheat/rice/oats etc) . . . . . • Dairy (milk/yogurt/butter/cheese etc) . . . . .• Nightshades (peppers/tomato/eggplant etc)
    • Tubers (potato/arrowroot etc) . . . • Modernly palatable (cashews/olives etc) . . . • Refined foods (salt/sugars etc )
    • Legumes (soy/beans/peas etc)

hfox is offline Junior Member

Thanks to all of you for the many responses.

I don't think that the joint pain is related to my diet or exercise patterns. In the last couple of months, I have increasingly primal-ized my lifestyle to avert the problems that accompany careless eating and overtraining.

I do periodically eat nightshades (in fairly small quantities), but they have never given me distress.

One thing seems clear: stress (greatly) exacerbates the discomfort. Stress and anxiety often bring it out and a change of mood can turn the joint pain down significantly.

I'm trying to decide whether stress may have precipitated it in the first place or whether there's more to it (my NEW :-D and improved doctor should be helpful in answering these questions). In the meantime, I will be especially mindful of my omega intake in an effort to ameliorate the possible inflammation.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I don't know how primal it is, but glucosamine/chondroitin tablets sure help me. Available in a ton of brands over the counter. "Move Free" is a popular one. Sounds like a laxative, but it's for joints.

I used to hobble around for several minutes like an old lady after I woke up because the joints in my feet were so stiff and sore. They got better within a week of taking this stuff.

I don't know the science of it, but it works by causing your body to hold more water in the joints so they're more cushioned and lubricated. All I know is that it works!

62shelby Guest

hfox, if its a stress issue then it *might* be your adrenals, imbalances in hormones produced by the adrenals can incite inflammation. note that I am only speaking from personal experiences, I had amenorrhea induced by emotional stress a couple of years ago, and then had an S.I joint injury that caused my psoas to contract for about three months or more. adrenal fatigue can trouble the thyroid which is why you might wondering about that, as you have in other posts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast