Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival Skills page

Griffin is offline Senior Member

Question Survival Skills

Primal Fuel
    I'm a city kid (or I was, now I'm a city adult.) Last night, when I was supposed to be falling asleep my mind wandered over to the idea of learning survival skills: rope-tying, shelter-building, forest food-foraging, knife sharpening, etc. To me, it seems like a natural addition to the Primal lifestyle. Who knows? Maybe it will lead to hiking and or camping trips . . . Lord knows I could use more forest-bathing.

Can anyone recommend books, websites, etc. that I could use to learn survival skills?
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    there are ton of survivalist websites out there that cover all of this material and more. i've been flagging them lately (particularly knot tying for some reason) to pick up some of these skills once the snow and ice melt. a lot of people think i'm preparing for the zombie apocalypse...but i really just want to be able to do some of this stuff. who knows when you might need a shelter or a fire. just pop "survivalist" into a google search and you'll get plenty of options. you may have to wade through some crappy sites for a bit, but the ones with good information will be obvious to you.

Yaish is offline Senior Member
    Get the books by Cody Lundin. I'm into this stuff pretty heavy, and his books fit right in with the Primal philosphy. You might recognize him as the giant barefoot hippy from the Discovery Channel show "Dual Survival".

Most important, once you gain some knowledge PRACTICE! Reading a book about tying knots won't tell you much if you don't practice tying knots. Forget about "theory" when it comes to fire building. Try this stuff, figure out how to actually do it, and keep the skills fresh.

Most important, once you gain some knowledge PRACTICE! Reading a book about tying knots won't tell you much if you don't practice tying knots. Forget about "theory" when it comes to fire building. Try this stuff, figure out how to actually do it, and keep the skills fresh.
    That's what I was thinking about doing. I don't know about regular pyromania, but knot-tying, knife sharpening, etc., I can do.
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Griffin, I can possibly connect you with someone locally who does backcountry survival training if you're ever interested in doing something more hands-on and immersive.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Hey Owly,

Thanks - I may take you up on that in the future. For now, though, I think I'll try to learn some on my own.

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    check this website out:

Wilderness Survival Skills

dude's even got a cool kit you can buy with all the fixin's

this website got me hella pumped to go camping. tip: take the survival quiz before you read anything! it's fun I scored pretty low, but not too bad lol, only makes it more motivating!!

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Read some Tom Brown Jr.

Read Into the Wild.

Avoid doing what he did.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Traditional Skills, Bushcraft, Homesteading, and other useful skills

Might be another good resource. The place seems pretty Primal friendly, too.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast