Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Survival Skills page 2

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JennaRose View Post
    check this website out:

Wilderness Survival Skills

dude's even got a cool kit you can buy with all the fixin's

this website got me hella pumped to go camping. tip: take the survival quiz before you read anything! it's fun I scored pretty low, but not too bad lol, only makes it more motivating!!
    Ha, I took the quiz and did OK but got all the questions wrong about having a cell phone. Guess where I hike, you don't rely on it because there is no signal. Good reminder to use it if you can, but if you cannot... then make sure you know the other information!

I also recommend Tom Brown Jr, that will definitely inspire you to get out and learn survival skills! For more practical knowledge, I've heard great things about Primitive Wilderness Living & Survival Skills by John McPherson.

Griffin is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the links!
    There are two wolves fighting within a man's heart, one is Love, the other is Hate. The one that wins is the one you feed.

My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. - Jack Layton

The Primal Adventures of Griffin - Huzzah!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I recommend Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine. Then hit the AT or the PCT and hike for 5 months. That will cure you of silly city notions like throwing money at problems or confusing possessions with happiness or not knowing the difference between danger and discomfort. These are survival skills for the 21st century.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

whitebear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I recommend Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine. Then hit the AT or the PCT and hike for 5 months. That will cure you of silly city notions like throwing money at problems or confusing possessions with happiness or not knowing the difference between danger and discomfort. These are survival skills for the 21st century.
    I could use a 5 month hike right about now. I've never visited any famous trails but I did live outside for about 3 years and spent most of that time in the wilderness.During my time as a nomadic hippie I probably walked 10-20 miles a day everyday. Sometimes I really miss those days. Before anyone criticizes me for this let me say that not once during that time did I panhandle or beg for money. My food came from scavenging(dumpster diving)and food boxes and it was always shared with anyone that was hungry. It's really disgusting how much perfectly edible food gets thrown away by grocery stores and restaurants. When I needed cash I did odd jobs or day labor. I have to say it was probably the happiest time of my life next to the birth of my son.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12