Thread: Omega 3 and Leanness for Bucket List Six Pack page

PeaceCorpsCaveMan is offline Senior Member

Omega 3 and Leanness for Bucket List Six Pack

Shop Now
    I have been primal for 14 months and I am incredibly satisfied with my body and health. I am confident I can keep up this lifestyle and diet for the rest of my life. Although I was obese as a child, I only lost about 15 pounds when I switched to paleo with lots of body re-composition. I went from about 195 to around 180 at 5'11'' with 34" Levi's. I am very strict paleo eating paleo more than 90% of the time. It's not like I'm striving for that, I just don't have much reason or desire to eat unhealthy foods.

Although I am very happy with my weight and body fat percentage (around 15%?), I have always wanted a six pack for my bucket list and I know it's completely attainable. I think one of the things that may be holding me up is the conventionally raised animal foods that I eat. Where I live I don't have access to anything else. It's just logistically and financially impossible for me to attain a 1:1 omega 3/6 ratio, although I do try when I can. Most of my fat comes from lard, meat/organs, eggs, some dairy, coconut, avocado, etc. On the rare occasions when I do eat away from home, it's completely unavoidable to consume at least some industrial seed oils. The only way I can see that I could get my ratio down now is to eat a ton of mammal brains and eyes. Ok, maybe now and then, but I just can't do it daily or weekly.

Is it reasonable to assume that, if I did get my omega ratio under control in the near future when my living circumstances will change, I would drop a few body fat points with all other variables staying the same?

PLee1980 is offline Junior Member
    It is very unlikely that your O3/O6 ratio is causing you to not have a six pack. The vast majority of the workout/bodybuilder world pays overall little attention to O3/O6.

That'd be a micro-fine tuning variable which would come into play at the very bottom of my list, if on my list at all.

Are you doing the basics? Are you dropping calories below maintenance? Are you working out? Some people will say you don't need to track calories, but I know for me my weight loss will stall out if I don't pay attention to calories, even eating primal. My guess is the problem is here. If you're doing the basics, next step would be to look into carb cycling and IF.
    SW: 12/28/11 - 190.5 @ 24% BF
    CW: 3/7/12 - 179 @ 21% BF
    GW: 155-160 @ 10% BF

Well, I haven't been interested in weight loss in a long time because I think I have reached a good lean homeostasis. I also don't imagine my weight dropping much when I reach my goal. I do all the basics and I have great results, but my goal is to hit maintain that peak condition for at least a few months. IF and carb cycling are very useful tools and I have gotten very lean with them before. I think working out is a big part of the equation in my case. I do alright working out with an old rake as a pull up bar, lifting some rocks, sprints, and body weight exercises, but I find it hard to achieve the intensity I want.

Thanks, plee. I guess I can't use that as an excuse now!

I have never tried dropping my calories. I may have been resistant to the idea because it sounds so common wisdomy. Will I sacrifice muscle tissue if I drop calories? If that did help me drop body fat, would I have to maintain the lower calories to maintain my condition or is it just a means to an end?

ppham27 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PLee1980 View Post
    The vast majority of the workout/bodybuilder world pays overall little attention to O3/O6.
    That's not true at all. O3 supplementation is very popular among bodybuilders. O6 fatty acids have been shown to increase fat abdominal fat storage as well. However, I'm not sure if it's a problem in this case. I don't see anything too terrible on your list of fat sources. Improving your ratio will probably help a little, but I wouldn't expect miracles. Can't hurt to eat more seafood, though.

PLee1980 is offline Junior Member
    Bodybuilders do supplement O3, but you rarely if ever hear about eating grassfed meat, swapping out high O6 vegetable oils, or consuming proper ratios of O3:O6. It's more along the lines of "I take 3 fish caps per day along with my EC stack and BCAAs". To me the attitude is more of a checkbox item rather than something that is given a lot of consideration.

If the OP was 8% looking to get to 6% and already doing carb cycling, IF, etc. then I'd say give it a try.

I was 9% in the past with a decent six pack. I got there through straight calorie restriction (not crazy, 1600-1800 cal/day) along with 3 days of week of weight training and 3 days a week of light cardio. I didn't have to do IF, carb cycling, etc. We'll see if that can be repeated now.
    Last edited by PLee1980; 02-22-2012 at 11:09 AM.
    SW: 12/28/11 - 190.5 @ 24% BF
    CW: 3/7/12 - 179 @ 21% BF
    GW: 155-160 @ 10% BF